Bears Blew It?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
job data will decide where we will go.

it is one of THE numbers boys do watch, a very important one.

Note: They expect a RISE in non farm payrolls :o and they expect unemploament rate unchanged at 6.0% :o

very high expectations!

Remember: We are not in the "bad news is good news phase".

Tomorrow will be a down day.

Gute Nacht! :D

anal cysts are counting on the retail seasonals that pushed down the December report to reverse and push up the January report. A simple review of the seasonal adjustment factors for the retail components show that they do not adjust until February. Of course the Gooberment reserves the right to change factors to achieve any result they want. IMHO, no chance the economy created 50-60K jobs in January. My bet is that the reported number starts with a negative sign.

Microdon:

Yeah, I knew Ord would go long at the close. He's a hawk at watching those volumes. I bet he's expecting the same type of upside correction we got in January.

However, the patterns are so identical, I wonder how many other dippers are doing the same.

Rule of alternation says a pattern never repeats itself twice in a row.

If we get an upside explosion, it will likely result in a different outcome than January's.

Maybe only a two day pop, then an immediate downside reversal.

I'm still expecting a pop, unless we get an unfilled downside gap Fri. or Mon.

Remember its OE week next week.

Chinatown.

Wndy,

Options expiration is not next week. It's the week after. :grin:

Tech Data (TECD) just blew up AH.

So much for PC's, CDWC, DELL, and all the rest.......

Shorted CDWC (again) today at 44.28..

With Dell coughing phlegm and now Tech Data, maybe this will finally head South. :grin:

Of course I've said this for a month, but then I don't know sh*t anyways.

Mark, I feel your pain. After my own.

This is frustrating by its nature and with all of Al?s meddling and with the Gub?s ability to spin as it pleases, knowing that the ?privet? pervert media won?t dare cross them, the hole thing can be more then exasperating.

You have done well for yourself already and you have added humor and knowledge to an otherwise hideous morass. You and the rest of us have all learned some important lessons by surviving this crap ridden market.

An art learned by observing an old lady my be helpful. Give thanks. Give thanks for big things and for little things. Find something to be thankful for in every screwball thing that happens. I thank you deeply for the insight, humor and originality you have added to the end of each trading day and I thank Doc with amazement at the benevolent monster he has created. And I thank every poster on this site. A cumulative wealth of knowledge.

All who read your work have much to be thankful for.

As for when people will sell. Possibly only when they have to. Possibly only at the end. No rush because when they do, it will be time to buy.

I have to mention this crazy idea I've had in my head a for a few days. Supposing there was a war in Korea, specifically S Korea, something I do not expect but if it happened, a lot of semiconductor supply and manufacturing capicity might go off line or even get wrecked.

Someone would make a bullish case out of this, for the fab equipment makers especially.

The whole idea is silly and worthless for decision making, as funnymentals always are. Still, something to keep in the back of the head to worry about.

To get this market down we need a pebble thrown into the pond.

Fred Hickey predicts a major warning out of DELL or INTC soon.

Here's what sold off the Nasdaq near the close today:

Will DELL warn on the 13th?

"PALO ALTO, Calif., Feb 6 (Reuters) - Dell Computer Corp. (DELL) Chief Operating Officer Kevin Rollins said on Thursday that corporate spending on technology will be soft this year due to the weak economy and concerns about a potential U.S. war with Iraq.

"What we have felt all along is that much like 2002, 2003 will be a fairly difficult year due to the economy more than anything else," Rollins told Reuters in an interview ahead of a speech at the Churchill Club, a civic organization.

"The overhang with the potential war makes people skittish and nervous," he said.

"Once the economy rebounds, spending on information technology will not rise sharply or aggressively. When the war is resolved -- however it is resolved -- I don't think you're then going to see a massive resurgence in IT spending," Rollins said. "It's all going to be fairly muted."

Austin, Texas-based Dell, the No. 2 personal computer maker, has increased market share amid stagnant demand by keeping costs low and using its direct sales system to cut prices.

The company reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter ended January on Feb. 13. Rollins declined to discuss the results."

"I have to mention this crazy idea I've had in my head a for a few days. Supposing there was a war in Korea, specifically S Korea ... a lot of semiconductor supply and manufacturing capicity might go off line or even get wrecked."

Jorma, what a brainwave. It could save the SOX! And thereby the world economy!

We must destroy the fabs in order to save them.

Quote of the day from Fleck:

'This bear market will not end until prices discount the problems, instead of discounting the next boom."

Translation:

The constant jamming, spiking, Riverboating, 5-minute candle trading, option hedging, and scalping will not end until we get a market clearing event.

Then people will be using rallies as excuses to get out of the Wall Struck Horror Theater instead of constantly tipping the doorman and buying the dips to get into the Quick Buck Fashion Show.

Jorma wrote:

. Supposing there was a war in Korea, specifically S Korea ... a lot of semiconductor supply and manufacturing capicity might go off line or even get wrecked."

That's a good point - except that, like US mfgrs, Samsung has been moving its plants to China for some time. However, I do think there is a US agenda to create instability in East Asia in order to repeat what happened in '97 with the IMF crisis (another US manufactured event), namely, induce foreign capital to flee to a "safe haven," i.e., the US and pump up foreign money inflows.

Already, property values have fallen dramatically in SKorea over the past several weeks as assets are liquidated. But this time, I think it's different - I hear they're buying euros and gold, not USD.

Archived