Retail Sales Jamjob?

NV 375

Makin' sure that retail sales number is heard everywhere.

Talked with a relative and a friend this weekend who work in management, one with a big box generic retailer, the other a brand name clothing manufacturer. Both have over a decade in retail. Both lamented that the discounts being offered already, rivaled what would normally occur the last few days before christmas.

Odd how that wasn't mentioned. :unsure: :( :rolleyes:

From Bigcharts,

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2002

1:03PM Post-Thanksgiving weekend sales up 10.9% from last year by Allen Wan

U.S. retail sales for the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving jumped 10.9 percent from last year's levels, ShopperTrak RCT's National Retail Sales Estimate (NRSE) reported. After a 12.3 percent year-on-year gain on Friday, sales jumped another 9 percent on Saturday, it said, adding that the two-day average sales growth more than doubled the year-to-date trend of 5 percent. According to the NRSE, the two-day total level of sales (at a daily rate) was $12.6 billion vs. $11.4 billion spent on those two post-Thanksgiving days in 2001. On Saturday, sales were the strongest in both the South and Midwest, up 10 percent, followed by the West, up 9 percent. The Northeast trailed with 6-percent sales growth. "The 2002 holiday season got off to a good start, which should lift retail industry confidence," said Michael Niemira, lead consultant for the NRSE. "Nevertheless, most of the season is still ahead, and the industry will have its work cut out to continue to build upon this strong start," Niemira added.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I heard China mart was selling TV's and other little trinkets the sheeple covet at rock bottom prices.

Like the stock market, the sheeple exhausted themselves in a buying frenzy on Friday and it's all sour notes from here.

I was in a few stores (Home Despot, mis-Target) on Sunday and it was like a friggin funeral parlor.

I walked up the the register and got served immediately.

Attendants were standing around doing nothing. Wonder how many more holiday shopping days like that and they're going to hand out pink slips to half their staff ?

The China mart "day after" was a blatant attempt to manipulate things which will end badly and very soon.

Can't wait for Xmas and those final sales figures.

The Bearz will have the last laugh on this one.

These guys are getting really desparate when they pull a trick like this.

I'm only giving gift certificates this year cuz the retailers will be selling shit for practically nothing after Dec 25th. That's if they even can afford to open the doors anymore.

Archived