B4 The Bell Moonday September 20

Hiding Bear

T'other one is right Kerry has been going thru a rough Astro period and it does abate prior to the election conversly the Idiot Prince who has been going thru a benign period gets the dark cloud back over his head pretty much at the same time. This ain't over if you go to realclearpolitics.com who list ALL the polss you will find Zogby, Pew, Harris and Rasmussen showing a dead heat ONLY CBS (ironic-Huh) and Gallup show Shrubco with the big lead and remember Frank Luntz works for Gallup.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone said earlier that the economy does not affect the stock market-Oh really! Lets see Coke warned, virtually ever Grocer has warned, Winn Dixie set another new annual low today, Colgate warned and got killed, ditto Uni-Lever,JNJ was downgraded on earnings concerns, PG is now expected to warn so it got whacked, Dean Foods and Budweiser both got clocked today and virtually every Restruant chain has warned. See a pattern here from dining out to Beer and soft-drinks and toothpaste and Band-aids and soap and the stores that sell them is the message that Mr. and Mrs. Sixpack are running on empty and starting to make choices Cars and Computers aren't selling and now we are down to mouthwash and deodorant-where do the profits that drive the markets come from-Huh?? ;)

B4: Add Unilever to your list of warners today.Fortunately they got kicked out of the S&P with RD Shell when the S&P decided that these corps didn't merit being in the S&P.

Unilever got shanked for 6% in Amsterdam today.The consumer is no longer prepared to part with his money for premium-priced products.Lot more pain to come IMO.

Oops,sorry Brian.You did mention Unilever--need my eyes and brain tested :rolleyes:

is it just me or has the "bullhorning" reached fever pitch,even by the bullish standards of Crapvision and FOX,it seems to be louder than ever....almost to a man they are all predicting a massive election rally,I fear it will become a self fulfilling prophecy,I am feeling extremely nervous being short(usually a good sign) but I might just cover here and wait until the elections are run and won.

MH hit on something that doesnt get much airplay...Oil has been above $40 for more than 4 months,and was in the mid to high $30s for 3 or 4 months prior to that.

That is like a bloody great anchor on the economy,couple this with rising interest rates and tapped out consumers and the bear case looks pretty strong.

Plenty of cracks appearing here in OZ,just got to get thru these bloody elections.

Our time will come and I think that Bush and Howard will reap what they have sown.

Having read the piece by "Comrade Faber" yesterday it'll likely be the Chinese who put an end to any US invasion plans direction Iran.

If they feel that their oil supply for the future is threatened by the US,then they'll simply issue a warning to that effect before they start dumping US Treasuries.If they start doing that then Al will really have to crank up the presses and gold will go through the roof(which will compensate the Chinese who have been buying it up secretly).Just a WAG re the future!

Occupy, Resist, Produce: New Documentary "The Take" Takes on Globalization

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid...4215#transcript

a new documentary by Canadian journalists Avi Lewis and Naomi Klein called "The Take" which looks at how workers in Argentina took back their factory after the country's spectacular economic collapse in 2001

The Take is opening for a 2 week run at the Film Forum, NYC: Wed. Sept 22 to Tues. Oct.5

The motto of the film is "Occupy, Resist, Produce" and it looks at Argentina after its spectacular economic collapse in 2001 when Latin America's most prosperous middle class finds itself in a ghost town of abandoned factories and mass unemployment. In suburban Buenos Aires, thirty unemployed auto-parts workers walk into their idle factory, roll out sleeping mats and refuse to leave. All they want is to re-start the silent machines. ...

"?In many ways it was similar to I think what's driving much of the resistance in Iraq, which is just a very practical sense that if you lose your job in this economy, where 60% of the country is already living in poverty, it's essentially a death sentence. So, workers who were told, you're fired, you're factory is closing, we're moving it somewhere cheaper, they just refused to leave?. Because what they were saying was, you can leave, but we're going to keep the machines and keep them running. They turned the factories into democratically run worker's cooperatives. So we follow one factory from the beginning of this process where they occupied the first day to when they started up the machines again and have a viable source of jobs."

VOICEOVER: Are you going to get your factory back?

FORMER ZANON OWNER: I'm going to get it back.

VOICEOVER: How are you going to do it?

FORMER ZANON OWNER: The government will give it back to me. The government will give it back to me.

?PERSON: There are many companies that should be in the hands of the workers. But it seems that this is not politically convenient. That's the real problem.

VOICEOVER: But now they are in production. Mr. Zanon you can kiss our asses.

Film website: http://www.nfb.ca/thetake/ links at bottom of page

CIA must be too busy in Iraq/ Iran/ Syria etc to bother with this ripple now? eventually they will be crushed. But in the meantime- amusing...

PalmOne's Blowout Not Good Enough

By Troy Wolverton

TheStreet.com Staff Reporter

9/20/2004 7:19 PM EDT

Click here for more stories by Troy Wolverton

Updated from 6:06 p.m. EDT

PalmOne shares swung more than $10 lower (PLMO:Nasdaq - commentary - research) in after-hours trading after the company's blowout first-quarter earnings were eclipsed by weak guidance for the second quarter.

The company's shares initially took off in after-hours trading after the company released first-quarter earnings results Monday, rising to $43.30 after closing up 4.6%, to $37.28 in the regular session.

But in its subsequent conference call, the smartphone maker said it expects second-quarter earnings before items of 50 cents a share, well below the current consensus expectations of 58 cents a share. The company also expects revenue to fall slightly short of anal cysts' predictions.

As a result, the after-hours price plummeted to nearly $33, as investors scrambled to exit their positions. The stock was recently trading at $33.54 in after-hours trading.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stocks/tro...=FREE&cm_ite=NA

The U.N. Security Council voted 11 to zip with one abstention (China) to impose sanctions on the Sudan that would block the export of their 365,000 to 500,000 Barrels of oil per day most of that oil goes to The Sudans biggest oil field investor which is China. China said it would veto any attempt by the UN to impose said sanctions. China last week signed a major oil deal with Oman involving Billions of $ and has a stranglehold on the Sudanese production. Is our anguish over the plight of the peoples of the Darfur region and the genocide being committed against them or is it about oil and taking it away from China...Hmmmmm!

Archived