World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Jerky jinks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clean synth fuels are coming. The Saudis better keep oil under 50 bucks lest they want game changing competition

For transportation fuels, if cheap solar means hydrogen prices under 10 $/GJ in sunny places, then carbon-neutral synthetic fuels look promising. It takes about 2 t-CO2 and 40 GJ of H2 to make 1000 liters of gasoline using a process like Exxon Methanol-to-Gasoline. If we can get CO2 from the air at 125 $/t-CO2 then the idea of making fuels at prices of order 1 $/L looks plausible over the next few decades.

http://www.keith.seas.harvard.edu/blog-1/cheapsolarpower

MORE COMPANIES WORTH MORE DEAD THAN ALIVE

i.e. net assets are greater than the companies market value:

Goldman Sachs: capitalization 70B versus NTA of 86B

Morgan Stanley: capitalization 51B versus NTA of 65B

Commerz Bank: (worth only ten billion while net assets are 30 Billion).

Yes, the coin flip model at work working hard for shareholders.

No la

It takes more energy to build a solar panel

Than the solar panel returns over its lifetime.

Funny fact is the scientist I'm quoting was in that same position years ago, this was his eating crow roll over to the solar camp. He just re-did the math with the most recent figures and figured he was wrong.

I have long been skeptical of solar hype.[...] I worried that deployment incentives (global total amounting to many hundreds of billions of dollars over the past decade) would simply lock in the current technologies and do little to drive the breakthroughs that were needed to get solar cheap enough to compete for commodity power.

I was wrong.

I can let you know from experience my house is fully solar powered, I live in a area where 2 or 3 day power cuts are quite common. Having solar beats having to run a generator or worry about buying fuel for a generator. These equations are based on a functioning electrical system, when compared to running a generator and buying black market fuel. The solar pay back is 5 years or three if you take into account the ease of operation. Washing the panels once a week and checking the water level in the battery is a whole lot quicker than queueing for fuel.

I can let you know from experience my house is fully solar powered, I live in a area where 2 or 3 day power cuts are quite common. Having solar beats having to run a generator or worry about buying fuel for a generator. These equations are based on a functioning electrical system, when compared to running a generator and buying black market fuel. The solar pay back is 5 years or three if you take into account the ease of operation. Washing the panels once a week and checking the water level in the battery is a whole lot quicker than queueing for fuel.

wow, great first person report.

where are you located?

Archived