IDS World Markets Mon 1st October 07

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Japan Post to Challenge Banks With World's Biggest Cash Pool

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Japan Post Corp. becomes the private company with the world's biggest pool of cash today, threatening to grab business from banks by entering the mortgage market for the first time.

Japan Post President Yoshifumi Nishikawa said last week he aims to offer mortgages next year with Suruga Bank Ltd., which operates in and around Tokyo. Suruga Bank broke ranks with other so-called regional banks, which oppose ties with the postal giant on concern it will gain the means to dominate the mortgage market through its 24,000 branches and $1.6 trillion of deposits, more than the nation's three biggest financial groups combined.

``If they really start doing mortgages it's going to impact all the banks,'' said Graeme Knowd, a Tokyo-based anal cyst at CLSA Asia Pacific Markets.

-----------------

Japan's Wages Rose in August, Ending Eight Months of Declines

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Japan's wages climbed for the first time in nine months, a sign that unemployment near a nine-year low may spur consumer spending.

Monthly wages, including overtime pay and bonuses, rose 0.1 percent in August from a year earlier, ending the longest run of declines since 2004, the Labor Ministry said in Tokyo today.

Household spending rose 1.6 percent in August, the fastest pace in almost two years, according to a report last week.

611665[/snapback]

Combine this with the creation of YEN to buy US$, we are in big trouble!

What are they going to do? Put a bulk rate stamp on everyone's forehead and mail us to China as payment due?

Why can we not have controls like most other counties on who can own what in our country?

We will be bought and paid for by the Japanese postal system - how humiliating? (Yes I know Japanese Post includes their pension funds and other things as well.)

Is it time to go postal yet?

611725[/snapback]

My assistant already has.

post-837-1191251885.jpg

Like I said a few weeks ago, we're going to all-time highs on major indexes.? Emerging Markets still leading the way.? This market is not weakening at all.

611713[/snapback]

Sudsy, would you ask your Granny what she is doing?

:D

611719[/snapback]

She threw in the towel, locked in her loss and sold out at the lows. She has returned to her bridge club for excitement.

post-1762-1191251942.jpg

Like I said a few weeks ago, we're going to all-time highs on major indexes.  Emerging Markets still leading the way.  This market is not weakening at all.

611713[/snapback]

Each $1 of global stock is being chased by $50 or so of global digital currencies. There is no shortage of LIQUIDITY.

The last selloff ending on Aug 16, must've been engineered to allow GS to make commissions for this year by going tits short subprime newsnoise and loading up on emerging, commodities, metals, energy and materials.

The only way this is going to end is just like Hypertiger said it would, but who knows when. The fiat system just showed us that is capable of withstanding destruction of trillions of digital cash and recharging itself as if it was nothing.

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Japan Post Corp. becomes the private company with the world's biggest pool of cash today, threatening to grab business from banks by entering the mortgage market for the first time.

Japan Post President Yoshifumi Nishikawa said last week he aims to offer mortgages next year with Suruga Bank Ltd., which operates in and around Tokyo. Suruga Bank broke ranks with other so-called regional banks, which oppose ties with the postal giant on concern it will gain the means to dominate the mortgage market through its 24,000 branches and $1.6 trillion of deposits, more than the nation's three biggest financial groups combined.

``If they really start doing mortgages it's going to impact all the banks,'' said Graeme Knowd, a Tokyo-based anal cyst at CLSA Asia Pacific Markets.

-----------------

Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Japan's wages climbed for the first time in nine months, a sign that unemployment near a nine-year low may spur consumer spending.

Monthly wages, including overtime pay and bonuses, rose 0.1 percent in August from a year earlier, ending the longest run of declines since 2004, the Labor Ministry said in Tokyo today.

Household spending rose 1.6 percent in August, the fastest pace in almost two years, according to a report last week.

611665[/snapback]

What are they going to do? Put a bulk rate stamp on everyone's forehead and mail us to China as payment due?

Why can we not have controls like most other counties on who can own what in our country?

We will be bought and paid for by the Japanese postal system - how humiliating? (Yes I know Japanese Post includes their pension funds and other things as well.)

611725[/snapback]

Why do they need more dollars? I don't have a number at hand but I think they hold over 1 TRILL in FRNs and GSEs, but I am sure Helo Ben will supply them with as many as they want. :lol:

Like I said a few weeks ago, we're going to all-time highs on major indexes.? Emerging Markets still leading the way.? This market is not weakening at all.

611713[/snapback]

That's it! Sell everything! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, we can wait to see how this test of the high comes out. ;)

611716[/snapback]

Wait 'til I proclaim that Emerging Markets are a true safe haven and that they will go up 100% in 4 weeks before selling.

I swear I'm very close to doing just that.

-----------------

611665[/snapback]

611725[/snapback]

611727[/snapback]

Speaking of going postal, say hello to my little friend who will straighten out these imperial dogs.

caption262.jpg

t24_au_en_usoz_6.gif

Why do they need more dollars? I don't have a number at hand but I think they hold over 1 TRILL in FRNs and GSEs, but I am sure Helo Ben will supply them with as many as they want. :lol:

611730[/snapback]

I believe that Japan and China have their own agendas. It is not so much about getting more US$, it is more about keeping their curency low relative to the US and Europe. By keeping their currency low, they effectively remove whatever manufacturing that is left in the US to their own countries. Thus they create YEN and use that to buy US$ or Euros and then have to do something with that non-YEN currency.

It is not enough for them to compete on quality, and Japan, unlike China, does not have an abundance of cheap labor as they had shortly after WWII.

The cheap YEN also makes it harder for their citizens to buy imported goods, which is also a win for their country and domestic economy.

-----------------

611665[/snapback]

611725[/snapback]

611727[/snapback]

Speaking of going postal, say hello to my little friend who will straighten out these imperial dogs.

caption262.jpg

t24_au_en_usoz_6.gif

611733[/snapback]

TRE just went green on the day! Wheres Jickiss?

Archived