For Your Early Friday Morning Meditation

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Christmas dinner, which began Wednesday at 12:00, Fokker was chitchatting with a guest who asked about the market. Although Fokker knows not to pontificate publicly on the topic, and kept his voice down, within a minute or so roughly 12 sheeple in the room were listening attentively and asking questions, and Fokker held forth. Fokker was too tired to get excited and almost recited the Stool by rote, which was perfect for the sheeple who are all in buy n hope mode. The most educated of the lot said something disparaging about gold and silver when Fokker mentioned them, and then shut up when Fokker mentioned that gold is up 24% or so on the year, and the huge short position on silver, and that Buffet and Gates and Soros are all big holders, yada yada.

Fokker thinks that this bear will never be over. The sheeple are still very wealthy and very out to lunch. It will take an unimaginable plunge to make them give up.

Doc, it isn't really happening. ;) I have never observed it here - although I have seen it elsewhere, so I know what you mean. It's some browser problem when fetching images from the cache. It's a local effect for you - meaning that other people might or might not see it. If you do a Shift-Refresh, it should display the images in full, too.

Regards,

Vesselin

great doc. i'm sure crap knows better than to write anything back. B)

ff - yeah, crapeuro sure is better. i say that as a yank living abroad. of course, this almost perfectly mirrors the usa-euro disparity in non-sensationalist media coverage and educated public discourse. in short, ours sucks ass.

fokker, i wish i was a fly on the wall. it's amazing how....irritated....some folks become when confronted with economic and market realities.

finally, anyone - regarding gold, i don't mean to be a pest (i asked this late yesterday on IDS), but i'm looking for any thoughts or cautionary tales on high-leverage gold instruments - not to supplant research, but to focus it. like gtn says, remember, i don't know shit. many TIA. :P

trade safe today. it smells a little funny out. astro winds all whichways right now.

just read an article in newspaper about csfb's outlook for 2003, they seem to be on our side :lol:

"S&P should make its high for 2003 in Q1, dollar will fall further, USA to risky for european investors, new lows possible in 2003, dollar was unnaturally hih due to rally in stocks in the 90s..............."

hey fox,

you still short the dax? I held on to a small short over the holiday. I have to be out of the office so no Reuters, Bloomberg etc... Since you can read German and I can't, what does that Onishka guy think these days? And your opinion too ;-)

Megashort S&P from yestiddy. But a little nervous since no realtime today. Have to be on the road today so may be time to cover before blowout (either direction) on low volume day

Good trading to all mon stoolies!

Tanks for the hearty welcome, Glad - I've been lurking for quite some time - so many informed opinions and resources, it took me a while to get a handle on everything.

BTW - it only took me a week of checking out the forums last summer before I decided to sign up - the best investment decision I've ever made! Still struggling with the Hurst book but I've done well by following the stoolweathers and especially suctor watch :)

Great job Doc and stoolies! Keep it up!!

I dont watch TV (except sports); I would watch Procto but it would set a bad example for the others here at work. Procto doesn't, at the current time, have nearly the sway it used to, which is good, because I used to worry about what they were airing.

That said, I think the Idiot Financial Media is gearing up for a frontal assault. CNN and Bloomberg (internet) have had a decidedly bearsish slant of late. For example, CNN: "...the worst Xmas shoppping season in 30 years"... I had to dig a while, but the data supporting this was that this year was actually the lowest yoy INCREASE in sales in 30 years (put another way, "It was a record Christmas shoppping season" (!!!)).

Media tone has short, intermediate and long term cycles just like everything else; cycles generate interest. I think we are in the nadir of one of these cycles; the next apogee will likely be late January, before the start of WWIII. Coincidentally, this "media SWUP" will coincide with the "beat by a penny" weeks.

The Matrix has a plan. Profit from it.

Yes, I'm as interested in different ways to play gold as Phatt. More specifically, in my case are there options on COMEX gold futures available to trade and what broker or exchange would they trade on? I am looking at an interesting and new way to play gold and would like to maximixe leverage on COMEX futures. I certainly don't have a whole lot of money to play COMEX and couldn't do a high account minimum. I am not a wealthy person, merely trying to get there efficiently. Any suggestions? :)

Hey Glad, should we think of the posts you start each thread with as "Glad Raps"? :P

As far as people being willing to listen to the bear side -- it depends on who you talk to. I mentioned to a friend, carefully, my concerns about the market. Immediate response: should I sell everything now? So some people are willing to listen.

Now I'll try to post this and see if I crash again, as I did evey time yesterday that I tried to post. :blink: Think Doc is trying to tell me something?

cyclist,

i closed postion before holidays, prefer to wait till comming 10-13 week cycle tops out to go short heavily. For me, if i do short term trading, forex is more profitable than indeces, so i will wait for a good position trade entry in DAX.

Unfortunately Onischka has no DAX update for today. All i can say is, that DAX will continue to underperfrom the markets, germany is not good looking and we have too much financials and techs in DAX. Even CAC40 outperforms DAX in these days, mainly due to the fact that in CAC40 there are oil stocks, if i see this right.

Archived