Doc's Fed report another good one

THE INSURANCE POLICY THAT MATTERS

Goldmember had enough leverage to send it bust but it had an ace in the hole.... a get out of jail free card - AIG as its balance sheet insiurer and when that policy looked shaky AIG had the US taxpayer step in as its balance sheet reinsurer.

Multiple lines of defence saved it from destruction

Lehman and Bear had plenty of leverage but no balance sheet insurer ............ :blink: :blink:

RIMM gets smacked after the bell.

post-4700-1245357144.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have considered one of the 2x inverse long bond etfs, like TBT, but it has been showing something like 12-15% slippage per year since inception, which is scary for buy-and-hold (which is what I am doing).

The short term implications for SPX should be very bearish, if the Treasury continues to issue new debt and the Fed continues to shrink its balance sheet. But the problem is if the Fed accelerates printing to suppress the long yield, which I am guessing they will do. If so, stocks may tend to go as much sideways as down.

Therefore I am considering raising my long on precious metal bullion from 60% to 100%.

If I was Ben, I would print faster because it screws the FCBs more than the average US citizen.

How are the rest of you playing this?

I have considered one of the 2x inverse long bond etfs, like TBT, but it has been showing something like 12-15% slippage per year since inception, which is scary for buy-and-hold (which is what I am doing).

The short term implications for SPX should be very bearish, if the Treasury continues to issue new debt and the Fed continues to shrink its balance sheet. But the problem is if the Fed accelerates printing to suppress the long yield, which I am guessing they will do. If so, stocks may tend to go as much sideways as down.

Therefore I am considering raising my long on precious metal bullion from 60% to 100%.

If I was Ben, I would print faster because it screws the FCBs more than the average US citizen.

How are the rest of you playing this?

I short Treasuries using t-bond futures instead of TBT although there is a negative hold in the short bond position. One can use as little leverage as one wants by keeping positions small.

I am not trading gold anymore. I hold physical and GLD shares, although the GLD shares may be fraudulent as they are managed by HSBC. Do you trust your banker? :angry:

I short Treasuries using t-bond futures instead of TBT although there is a negative hold in the short bond position. One can use as little leverage as one wants by keeping positions small.

I am not trading gold anymore. I hold physical and GLD shares, although the GLD shares may be fraudulent as they are managed by HSBC. Do you trust your banker? :angry:

Only as far as I can throw him. Futures sound like a better way to go. Didn't Leh manage some ETF type funds? Did they all go belly up?

It's great news that continuing unemployment claims are finally dropping. As more and more claimants use up their benefits the trend is certain to accelerate.

Not if initial claims increase like they did this week. But the news today was certainly misinterpreted.

U.S. CPI Report May Have Tipped Fed's Hand

"Now that this CPI Report is out of the way, traders have one week to wait for the Fed's announcement. This will be an important FOMC meeting since the Fed will skip July and meet again in August. The Fed will most likely draft a comprehensive statement in order to cover the sixty-day gap between meetings. This means Forex traders may overreact to its statement."

This Could Be The Start of Something Small- Professional Edition

by Lee Adler, Thursday, June 18, 2009, in Professional Edition, Today's Markets | Permalink |Comments (0) Edit The market’s behavior over the next week or so should send an important signal is to the intermediate and longer term outlook. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

Not if initial claims increase like they did this week. But the news today was certainly misinterpreted.

There is going to come a time where the laid off do not qualify for UE compensation or are being laid off a second time and their benefits are still exhausted. More and more the numbers of people receiving UE compensation is likely to be less representative of the total employment situation. Which is exactly why the compensation number is going to be more advertised.

It's great news that continuing unemployment claims are finally dropping. As more and more claimants use up their benefits the trend is certain to accelerate.

Just this week another 2,000 pink slips were announced between silicon valley and san fransicko, primary 400 chop chops from MySpace, and about 1600 from Lockheed Martin.

When the 2nd half recovery comes and goes look for layoffs to jump as companies can't hold out for a recovery due to weak cash reserves or reduced sales.

We also have Municiple and State layoffs coming up as governments that can't print money and are facing severe sales tax drops finally start cutting the Public Worker.

Then retail sales will suck even harder as even more people cut back on spending, fixing up their shacks, etc.

I really enjoyed my $3 gas today courtesy of oil speculation and manipulation. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Archived