B4 the Bell. Turdsday Aug 19, 2004

Guest yobob1

If you can convince some investors to put down a rig over a big granitic batholith, you bring 24 diamond drill heads, I'll bring the cooler of beer and we'll conduct a right manly experiment.

Who knows?  You might strike oil.

:P

An article appeared in the Atlantic Monthly in the Eighties, describing exactly such an experiment.

It was to take place in Scandinavia -- Sweden, I think. They were planning to drill several miles deep -- the deepest well ever -- through the granitic batholith and into the expected Deep Hot Biosphere, brimming with oil.

As I understood it, they had the funding and were already drilling. I never heard another word about it ...

They found oil, & they found microbes that ate oil. The drillers took precautions against surface microbial contamination because part of the reason for drilling was to test abiotic theory.

There was not enough oil for production, but given that the theory said there'd be none, that's pretty interesting.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reuters is reporting AC-130 Gunships are being used in Najaf, these are the puppies with the Gatling Guns also known as chain guns, thousands of rounds per minute and not very accurate, the civilian toll will be awful in my view!

The new and improved "PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON" from the 'Nam era.

The kill zone is the size of a football field...

I suggest we keep an eye on Iran, this morning I quoted at length an article in which the Iranian Defense Minister was warning both the U.S. and Israel that any strike against them would lead to swift retaliation including a Missile attack on Israels Nuclear Base. Now this afternoon comes Irans announcement about how soon they can possess nuclear warheads. Methinks they have tumbled to a coordinated U.S./Israeli air strike being in the works. If so watch for them to de stabilize iraq in a hurry! ;)

good thinking, my son and i had a similar conversation.

I'd start looking in the direction of 990N --

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least $8.8 billion in Iraqi funds that was given to Iraqi ministries by the former U.S.-led authority there cannot be accounted for, according to a draft U.S. audit set for release soon.

Senators Ask Where $8.8 Bln in Iraq Funds Went

thats billion with "B"

PB,

How does 8.8 Billion $ compare with what is spent on section 8 housing in any given year? I don't know the answer myself, just wondering how much anger we should invest in various things.

Not trying to pick a fight.

TimOrd issued an intermediate buy signal on the S & P on Monday.

Today, he changed it and issued a long term buy signal on the S & P at tonight's close.

Arch Crawford is 200% short.

One guy is going to be a hero, the other, a goat......

I think the Fear Gauges are too low for a buy signal to be generated.

We'll see.........

For the Dollah lovers...

I bought a chunk of Central Gold Trust today. This is the Canadian gold fund that holds 97% bullion and 3% cash. It sells for around 16.45 in US dollars, but trades in Canadian dollars. The fund sells for about 1.5% over net asset value, so it sells for less premium than the cash premium over gold coins.

Interesting in that the Trust is a play in both gold and the Canadian dollar vs. the US dollar. Since the Canadian dollar is now trending higher against the US dollar. Central Gold Trust is a "double whammy" play against the US dollar. The symbol is GTU.un -TSX or at Brown & Co. its CLGLF.

- Richard Russell, today

We are taught in school that petroleum is a fossil fuel, made over eons from prehistoric biological material deposits, and therefore a scarce non-renewable resource. Actually, this is part of a set of outdated theories regarding not only petroleum, but even the origin and distribution of biological life on our planet.

Peak Oil is a model based on these theories, and is therefore highly dubious. I have posted more under a new LOB topic:

Peak Oil vs the Deep Hot Biosphere.

http://www.capitalstool.com/forums/index.p...t=ST&f=2&t=6121

Actually Dummy, not so.

The abiotic theory of oil production has some chalk-board noodling,

You mean like E=mc^2? In any event, I'll take chalkboard over handwaving any day.

a couple of lab-based (contrived) experiments on it's side,

That's better than the record for the other side which is still waiting for a lab experiment to work.

By the way, lab experiments are usually contrived. That's kind of the point. Does that make them invalid?

and a small amount of unexplained seepage from a very small gulf of mexico field.

and refilling wells,

and finding oil (and microbes) in the Siljan Ring under 6 kilometers of swedish granite

What's not in contention is:

(1) ALL major oil fields have been discovered in sedimentary basins.

Because that's where they keep drilling.

(2) 1.5 Billion years of biotic accumulation coupled to tectonic shifting can be expected to create conditions, due to stratic folding or fissure migration, where small quantities of oil could be expected to end up in some odd places.  Perhaps deeper than otherwise predicted or (seemingly) in a volcanic layer.

That is exactly the kind of thing that is in contention, hence the abiotic theory.

Unfortunately, the preponderance of evidence is against the notion that an abiotic mechanism is dominant in oil development.

This begs the question of what constitutes "the evidence". Have you read Gold's book?

The biotic theory has been used to actually locate fields (using plate tectonics to project migration patterns of sedimentary basin known to have harbored eons worth of low, warm, swampy areas).

Where does food come from? The grocery store of course!

How did it get there? The answer is mostly moot until they run out of milk.

Once it becomes inconvenient to oilmen and bankers that there is not enough oil in the existing patches, you can be sure they will go drill more wells, and there will be more oil.

If you can convince some investors to put down a rig over a big granitic batholith, you bring 24 diamond drill heads, I'll bring the cooler of beer and we'll conduct a right manly experiment.

Who knows?  You might strike oil.

they did. And they did.

If you have not read the book, you should before dismissing abiotic theory on "evidentiary" grounds. If you have read the book, maybe you can point out the specific mistakes that Gold has made and provide me some counter-cites

I'd start looking in the direction of 990N --

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least $8.8 billion in Iraqi funds that was given to Iraqi ministries by the former U.S.-led authority there cannot be accounted for, according to a draft U.S. audit set for release soon.

Senators Ask Where $8.8 Bln in Iraq Funds Went

thats billion with "B"

PB,

How does 8.8 Billion $ compare with what is spent on section 8 housing in any given year? I don't know the answer myself, just wondering how much anger we should invest in various things.

Not trying to pick a fight.

well, my first thought is that $8B probably could have provided alot of drinking water and medical supplies and that it has to be a rather large percentage of the overall "aid" provided. dude, thats alotta humus and flat bread! plus, its alot to steal, if thats what happended. have no doubt, our new favorite Iraqi puppet prez will be found to have more than a token amount.

Ive touched upon Section-8 many times - im trying to avoid these topics as ive recently had some rather startling responses to what i believe to be commonsense statements. i did not; however, get any offers for no-interest loans :lol: . a few months back, i heard rumblings that Sec-8 was running outta dough.... i doubt that happens.

Hate to sound like a broken record ...

but ... silver continues to go "out the door" ...

day ... after ... day  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  B)

http://www.nymex.com/jsp/markets/sil_fut_wareho.jsp

Col D ... are you haulin' the stuff home every day, or what ?  LOL !!!!

I'm running out of places to stack the stuff. The whole house may just sink into the ground.

:lol:

Archived