Pre-Erection Weakend

Guest yobob1

Many of the glitz high-tech and office jobs will vanish into the mists of India

My son is living back at home after obtaining his CIS degree.

Very few listings, got 2 interviews after hundreds of resumes delivered. I feel so bad for him. Seriously thinking of telling him to get some training in mine technology at the tech and maybe move to Canada!

Think I might go along if GW gets back in.

post-20-1099268715_thumb.gif

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched a great home-brewed prog on NLtv about the US and how it had changed in 30 years from one Dutch journalists pov.

One interview with a Harvard prof. who said that there have only been 3 nations in the last 400 years with hegemonic power.First were the Dutch 1625-1660.Second,England 1830-1865 and third USA 1940-1970.

Two interesting points were that the real hegemonic power only lasts 30-40years before it peaks and once it peaks the only way to slow the decline is to create and expand the "financial" part of your economy.

He said that what Bush did(start an expensive war) is just about the most stupid thing to do if you want to slow that decline because it only accelerates it!

The Dutch managed to slow their decline for nearly 150 years by becoming big in finance and banking!

Many of the glitz high-tech and office jobs will vanish into the mists of India

My son is living back at home after obtaining his CIS degree.

Very few listings, got 2 interviews after hundreds of resumes delivered. I feel so bad for him. Seriously thinking of telling him to get some training in mine technology at the tech and maybe move to Canada!

Think I might go along if GW gets back in.

How interesting Hanky....Robin and I are very seriously considering a move to BC ourselves!

Altho we haven't picked a property yet; we've already begun to sell off our land and equipment here. We don't mind living in a 5th wheel in the hills for a while until we find "the right spot". My concern with haste is to get max $$ for everything prior to the drop....especially the land. And after the construction-crash, we'll be able to pick up Cats and excavators for half of today's price.

Imho, this is not going to be a healthy place to live in coming years...no matter what happens nov 2....

EDIT; to add link:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/busines...id84109?source=

re; the markets; I came across this today....in a UK paper...

A NARROW victory for either candidate in Tuesday's American presidential election would be the worst outcome for stock markets, according to Wall Street experts.

It could suffer a fall of up to ten% if the election does not lead to a clear win for either George Bush or John Kerry, and instead becomes mired in recounts and legal battles like those of 2000.

A clear Democrat victory will see the US market fall by up to seven%, while a Republican triumph would be more or less neutral for the markets, according to anal cyst Tobias Levkovich of Smith Barney, the broking arm of giant US bank Citigroup.

-------------------------

I was surprised by the last para....as I think it'd be the other way...i.e. dubya win, market tanks....kerry win....neutral to down. Interesting...

Gold + 1.80 to $430.50 ...

wow....only a couple bucks to the magic 433 eh? :D

Hadjin, maybe you should pick up some of that fallow vineyard land you were talking about, when it hits rock bottom....then grow food on it :lol:

Might there be a booming demand for US supply when overseas fruit/veggies/beef go outta site due to dollar drop ?

huh....you may be right Mars. Even if a trust fund is smashed by a dollar crash, 1/10 of 10 million is still a lotta fed reserve notes :P.

We think it'll be fascinating to watch the social changes when the relative-value of so-called blue collar and white collar work turns upside down....which is in process right now. Many of the glitz high-tech and office jobs will vanish into the mists of India....while

at the same time, it ain't easy to outsource to Asia the plumber or car-mechanic. :lol:

The only thing that ever concerned me with that scenario is if all the white collar jobs are gone who will have enough money to pay a mechanic or plumber. I think we would have to re-learn skills long ago lost.

I know mechanics and plumbing for example but I'm 60 yo. My grandchildren couldn't tell a stilson wrench from a cork screw. They don't sweat pipes they sweat at the gym. Most of my friends call a plumber to replace a wax seal or unclog a drain. I won't waste the money.

With nothing to support this ........my behavorial finance ..gut..makes

me think this market is going to go south............hard........

then.......perhaps an swift rebound move up to 1150's area.

i think were at point in game where some real volatility moves are going

to show up..........until years ranges are broken.......either way......and

wider trend shows itself................................................

"Hadjin, maybe you should pick up some of that fallow vineyard land you were talking about, when it hits rock bottom....then grow food on it"

Geez dozer .. I'm already having enough trouble putting my Quarter Section to work..

:blink:

huh....you may be right Mars.  Even if a trust fund is smashed by a dollar crash, 1/10 of 10 million is still a lotta fed reserve notes :P.

We think it'll be fascinating to watch the social changes when the relative-value of so-called blue collar and white collar work turns upside down....which is in process right now.  Many of the glitz high-tech and office jobs will vanish into the mists of India....while

at the same time, it ain't easy to outsource to Asia the plumber or car-mechanic.  :lol:

The only thing that ever concerned me with that scenario is if all the white collar jobs are gone who will have enough money to pay a mechanic or plumber. I think we would have to re-learn skills long ago lost.

I know mechanics and plumbing for example but I'm 60 yo. My grandchildren couldn't tell a stilson wrench from a cork screw. They don't sweat pipes they sweat at the gym. Most of my friends call a plumber to replace a wax seal or unclog a drain. I won't waste the money.

Here! Here guys. Count me in.

Taught both of my daughters to be as self-sufficient as possible

"" Here! Here guys. Count me in.

Taught both of my daughters to be as self-sufficient as possible""

I hear ya Hunter. That's what it's going to "be about" shortly. Self-sufficiency, as much as feasible. It will -certainly- be true when the free energy (oil) goes away in 10-30 yrs.

Mars mentioned re-learning old skills. I concur, and add "relearning old work ethics" to that...because as cheap energy, fertilizer, and transport, go away; local physical labor will become more and more important to one's economic health.

Those willing to WORK physically hard and long, shoveling manure, splitting wood, or whatever else is required, will eat well and stay warm. We'll end up with minimal electrical devices; whatever hydro/solar/wind can support; and draft-animal agriculture will have a resurgence....as will local truck-farm production, which will again be competitive with distant resource-intensive mega-agri-biz.

Archived