B$ The Bell, Friday, February 13

speculator,

My feeling are the same. I still have my last 3 HP computers and they are good units. But, this last one I bought is an Emachine and just as good if not better. So the hell with HP. She can take her product and her attitude to India.

I love my emachines, even if they are assembled in China. Those Chinese need good paying jobs too, so they can buy more American exports. It's a global economy, understand?

The public figures that they should be paid the highest wages, then they buy the lowest cost products. The consumer ultimately decides what price a product can be sold for, not the manufacturer. If Carly is cutting costs, it is because her customers demand it. If Carly is over paid and incompetant, it is because her shareholders have allowed it. The public can not simply blame everyone else, for they are ultimately responsible.:P

The problem with this sort of thinking is humans have not yet evolved to the point where unfettered global capitalism also allows those that are not at the top of the heap to live in dignity. That?s why labor laws, unions, protectionism, public accountability, etc must still play a role in "managing" the capitalist. And yes I'm a capitalist but one that believes in a balanced world.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garden Ridge plans more store closings

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal Staff

Garden Ridge Corp. has announced that it will close four more under-performing stores as part of a reorganization plan filed under Chapter 11 early this month. The closings will impact 240 full- and part-time employees.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../16/daily5.html

A guy is driving down the road with 20 penguins in the back seat-he is stopped by Police-the officer says look you can't drive around with Penguins in the back seat-take them to the Zoo-the guy says OK. The next day the same Officer notices the guy driving down the same road with the 20 Penguins in the back seat and again pulls him over-Look Mac didn't I tell you to take them to the Zoo-the guy says I did today I'm taking them to the movies. :P :D :lol:

Ex-commander: Naval shipyard may face closure

KITTERY ? A former commanding officer of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard says it could be targeted for closure next year if the U.S. Department of Defense decides to use private shipyards instead.

The Portsmouth shipyard avoided the ax in previous rounds of base closings in 1988, 1991, 1993 and 1995. However, its civilian work force has been cut by nearly half since 1990, when it employed more than 8,000 workers. There are now 4,300.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/040216close.shtml

Franklin Mint shuts stores and museum

Associated Press

February 16, 2004

FRANKLIN CENTER, Pa. -- The Franklin Mint, the company known for its eclectic range of pricey collectibles, from Scarlett O'Hara dolls to miniature John Deere tractors, has closed its 30 retail stores and its "museum."

Howard Lucker, vice president and general counsel, called the closures "the next step" after the November announcement the firm would lay off 200 Delaware County workers.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/121142-2182-031.html

Interesting story in the British papers-seems Alex Polier the intern linked to John Kerry did a tell all interview with one of the major networks a month ago and they are sitting on it awaiting further proof. HuH! if it came from the horses mouth what further proof is needed?? If the allegations were against Howard dean-they would have lynched him by now. Seems Mr. Kerry has a lot of juice to go with his teflon exterior. Anyway the link is over at drudge. ;)

How original. An affair with a jewish intern. Rove's henchmen can't even bother to make up a new story.

About Siemens: You gotta learn to read between the lines.

"Siemens has recognized that a huge amount of software development activity needs to be moved from high-cost countries to low-cost countries," said Anil R. Laud, managing director of Siemens Information Systems, the group's information technology subsidiary in India.

Why is this coming from the manager of the Indian subsidary and not from the top of Siemens?

"It is a problem. They could lose their jobs," said J. Schubert, the spokesman for Siemens in 11 countries, including India. "The Indian subsidiary will fight hard to get a portion of the pie," he said.

Sounds like the Indian subsidary has just escalated its fight "to get a portion of the pie".

A guy took his cross eyed Rottweiler to the Vet. Look Doc my dog is cross eyed-is there anything you can do?? The Vet picked up the dog, looked in his ears and down his throat and examined his teeth and turned to the owner and said "I'm going to have to put him down!" The Owner said-Why?? because he is cross eyed?? The Vet said NO because he is really heavy! ;)

An airplane takes off from the airport. The Captain is Jewish, and the First Officer is Taiwan Chinese. It's the first time they've flown together, and it is obvious by the silence that they don't get along.

After thirty minutes, the Captain finally speaks. He says, "I don't like Chinese." The F.O. replies, "Ooooh, no like Chinese?? Why is that?" The Captain says, "You bombed Pearl Harbor. That's why I don't like Chinese." The F.O. says, "Nooooo, noooo ... Chinese not bomb Pearl Harbah. That JAPANESE, not Chinese." And the Captain answers, "Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese ... it doesn't matter. They're all alike."

Another thirty minutes of silence. Finally the First Officer says, "No like Jew." The Captain replies, "Why not? Why don't you like Jews?" "Jews sink Titanic." The Captain tries to correct him, "No, no. The Jews didn't sink the Titanic. It was an iceberg." "Iceberg, Goldberg, Rosenberg .. no mattah .. all same."

At this rate, next week Haliburton will pay the gubmint to do work for them! :blink:

Halliburton Halts $140 Million More in U.S. Billings

Mon February 16, 2004 03:21 PM ET

(Page 1 of 2)

By Jim Wolf

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Halliburton Co. said on Monday it would defer billing for an additional $140 million in meals for U.S. forces in Iraq and Kuwait until a discrepancy is reconciled between the number of meals ordered and those actually served.

The Houston, Texas-based oil services company said it was holding off billing until an agreement was reached on subcontractor services for meal planning, food purchase and meal preparation for troops.

Halliburton is the biggest contractor for the U.S. military in Iraq with more than $8 billion in deals covering everything from doing laundry, building bases and providing meals to helping rebuild the oil industry.

Its contracts have drawn intense scrutiny from Democrats because of its ties with Vice President Dick Cheney, who ran the company from 1995 until 2000.

Last week, Halliburton said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing it had agreed to delay billing for $34.5 million while Defense Department auditors weigh whether its subcontractors overcharged for meals in Iraq and Kuwait.

Archived