Market Sneaks Out Side Door

UPS does not have a $12 bil underfunded pension plan. UPS negotiates with the Teamsters within regional multi-employer plans to provide funding of a $$ amount within that timeframe. Each regional multi-employer fund is different. Some well run, some not. Perhaps the total shortfall of these pension plans (which include Roadway, Yellow, Coca Cola, Bud, etc.) is $12 bil, but I highly doubt it . UPS, Roadway, Yellow. etc are required to provide funds to the plans within the context of their negotiated contracts. Those plans are run by the Teamsters.

Knowing the funds are under strick watch by the Teamsters sure makes me feel better I'll tell you. :) :P

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll just add a social comment.... most the women I know who have children and work do the latter not because of monetary need but because they feel isolated at home. Many have been educated with a view to a career and they feel they are wasting their skills on repetitive tasks. Their efforts as a hausfrau are not rewarded with either promotions, financial gain or the respect of colleagues. Harsh words I know but that's what I'm hearing and let's face it, how many men are prepared to swap with their spouses?

thnaks for those very good posts aussiebear.

In germany only the wifes of unskilled workers HAVE TO work soemwhere to earn money fro the family. All others, including wifes of skilled workers do work cause they want to, not that it would really be necessary. But if you want 3 times a year go to holidays, have to latest TV, DVD and all that other things AND wanna drive a car your father couldnt even dream about YES THEN you have to earn some extra money.

I am shocked almost every day when i see how capable those lower middle class and lower class guys and gals are for capitalism and ONLY for that. It seems they have no other values than money. "Kids? Hey, those 2 little idiots should stop screaming now, i wanna see my T2 DVD edition! Church? All liars! Community? Have they ever done anything for me? A book? Waste of paper! My wife must work so that we can fly 3 times a year to Mallorca and meet with the other alcohol addicts."

Those idots have in a materialistic sense evrything, but mentaly they are dead. They have no will, no will to achieve more, no will to educate themselves. For me, the mentally dead people who can ponly watch TV all day are the same bastards as those we so often complain about. They are no victims of everyone, they are their own victims.

RCL has fibs and chart patterns pointing to 40-42

I noticed that the long term charts say we're in no-man's land here. My choice to short it here was based purely on the end of an amazing short squeeze and the declining volume.

I found a little more info on the terror threat:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,106814,00.html

The capture of Ahmad Belai al-Neshari, Al Qaeda's chief of naval operations, revealed the extent of the organization's maritime ambitions.

Al-Neshari was found carrying a 180-page dossier that listed "targets of opportunity" such as large cruise liners sailing from Western ports.

U.S. intelligence officials have uncovered information showing he was planning to attack the British aircraft carrier Ark Royal as it passed through the Straits of Gibraltar en route to the Gulf War this year.

But now evidence has emerged Al Qaeda has diverted its attention from military targets to "softer" civilian targets such as the QM2.

"The ship fits Al Qaeda requirements," an MI6 official told Britain's Sunday Express newspaper. "It is a soft target as it is undefended and depends only on its speed to avoid trouble."

I must admit, your willingness to say anything and switch your position on a dime gives you a certain advantage. Doesn't the "househusband" more or less mean men ARE willing to switch roles? And the fact that you are "aware of a few" women that make more than their husband doesn't mean anything to my argument as I am "aware of a lot" of women who make less than their husbands.

That's ONE househusband T_minus, compared to the hundreds of women I see taking on the parent-at-home role.

Who earns what is not at all a part of the discussion. Fxfox laid it out... cut down on expenditure and one parent can stay at home ....

oh god oh god, those idiots at foxnews are so wise, my oh my. If i would have been forced to think about targets of "terrorist attacks" i would have never ever in my whole life came up with crusade ships. Never. It would be like thinking that Big bEn or Eifel Tower could be targets. There is a reason why foxnews is called the..........."Official Newschannel of the Homeland"

edit: i deleted the pic i posted, cause it could be that it provokes some folks too much and they start turning the words in my mouth and the thouights in my brain into a direction i dont want.

Michael Jackson is on 60 minutes with Ed Bradley. He looks and talks like one of those animatronic figures at Madame Tussaud's wax museum..

this is an example of the derivative horrors you get into when you combine unlimted wealth and modern technology with adolescent ignorance--even Iranian plastic surgeons consider mj an ethical time bomb what with his trying to reduce his nose to the size of a split pea--

Currently I'm trying to hire a vocal coach and am shopping for a half pair of glove(singular)--so that i can make as much dough as him only my persian cosmetic neurosurgeon will give me a dick as big as the ritz---

Michael you pooor fool--all the opportunities you missed

beardrech-- :ph34r: :ph34r: :wink2: Who is that masked man Tonto and why is he always wearing such a melancholic visage instead of the bright yellow ones?

Him he try new face keenosabay! Him wnnabee pretty like Elizaberth Taylor? Him face some good but changum too much--Him got too little tits---and no milkum no baby suckum---him strange like all white men---

lone Ranger--By the way tonto what does Keemosabbee mean?

Tonto: You big asshole :What Tonto mean chemo?

LR :Foolish schmuck--

Tonto: Then Shake Keemo--we even NOw Peace

LR---I knew that graduate course in communications would pay off

Derivative Horrors of 2004:

Black Holes Models gaming the "Intermarket Trades" which have worked the last 25 years without fail, will suddenly find out that the past does not guarantee future results.

- Gold and Dollar both trading up as we speak.

- Yen will continue advancing despite BOJ's attempts to squash it.

- T-Bone Yields will collapse, but FRE and FNM agency spreads will skyrocket.

- Junk Bond Spreads will implode first to wipe out the "Credit Spread Volatility" gamers, then after they are wiped out, Junk Bond Spreads will pull a Steve McQueen and explode.

- VIX and VXN will break down to new lows, ruining the chances of new "VIX futures traders" chance to successfuly game an increase in volatility. Mysteriously, the stock market will roll over while the Fear Gauges remain unchanged or grind lower.

All makes and models of Derivitive Gaming will eventually run into Apocalypse Events now hiding on the Fat Tails of the Bell Curves.

2004 will be the year to Expect the Unexpected.

Good luck to all Leveraged Participants gaming the exotic futures market.

Any stoolies have ideas or know the best way to invest in Ireland....he..he...he

More specifically the Irish zinc miner Hendry mentioned...TIA

Summoner...

What's that name/symbol of the Irish Zink miner? I can't find it...

To answer your question I think most bigger brokerage firms offer their clients to deal in overseas equities. Commissions are obviously higher but could be worth it when one considers the relentless tankage of the USD etc. I bank with Barclays in the UK and I know they offer such services.

Asian Techs and Banks have a strong opening today.

Note how all Global Markets are now hopelessly linked.

Linked to Maria's Pre-Market bleating of "markets trading up, based on strength in technology and financials"

There seems to be a lot of distribution going on below the green indicies and happy talk.

The year-end bonuses are made.

At ease.

Chiefy- I just went back and reread it and he does say 12 Billion so maybe it is the sum of the regional shortfalls-just an observation I wouldn't want the teamsters running any plan i contributed to-Wowza! :P

if it wasnt so sad, the tin-can-scanner's strike would be comical - allright, i honestly find it quite amusing. i mean if they were so valuable, other employers would have been raiding the picket lines for good employees! :lol: and the stores would have closed w/o the indispensible $20/hr fruit stackers. :lol:

they are now getting $100/week strike pay and the medical bennies are gonna be eliminated - no worky, no bennies; what a concept. its going around that the contract allows the stores to hire PERMANENT workers after 90 days, which is on or about 1/15/2004. the strike was a really bad idea, time to eat crow and go back to work... im sure many here realize that contributing $5/month to a family med/dental plan like the reatil clerks have is a friggin' GIFT. i suspect the supermarkets are eyeing the possibility of stemming the bleeding on any pension liabilities and the workers may be too stoolpid to realize it; hey they went out over peanuts - $5 a month for a family health-dental plan. get real!

Archived