Hiding Bear

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fed on the expressway to neutrality

But bond market expects a pause before rates hit 3%

By Gregory Robb, CBS Marketwatch.com

Last Update: 11:12 AM ET Sept. 12, 2004 

WASHINGTON (CBS.MW) - The slew of speeches in the past week by Fed officials have cemented views that the Federal Open Market Committee will raise rates on Sept. 21.

But more importantly, the remarks have indicated that officials want to take the Fed funds rate up into the 3 to 4 percent range from 1.50 percent now, Fed watchers said.

Some anal cysts think the Fed wants to accomplish this task in a fairly steady fashion. They view the financial market's consensus that there will be a pause when the Fed funds rate hits 2 percent as unfounded.

"I don't think the (bond) market is hearing the Fed at all," said Joel Naroff, economist at Naroff Economic Advisors.

"I hear a lot of investment officers saying 'Oh, gee, the Fed will probably go in September and that will be it for the year,'" said Naroff.

"But that is not what the Fed is saying. They are saying there is no reason to stop," Naroff said.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?...90B32319C4A1%7D

...The question for America is if Guns are safe, inaminate objects WHY do you lead the world in death by Guns and always have-Huh??? Huh??? ;)

Prolly the least qualified to respond, I'll fearlessly stick my eyeballs above the trench-

think it's a mixture of frontier history & the mythologizing thereof, plus the last 30-odd years of consequence-free media glamorization of firearms (or violence in general) as THE solution to any conflict- with a gnawing personal sense of powerlessness, loss of- ?control? that many, especially males, feel. Stir it up with some pervasive but generalized resentment & lack of communicating/ negotiating skills, & you're ready to go postal... I guess. Same stuff that drives our politics & foreign relations pretty much. If it comes to something like Baghdad-in-Chicago or a replay of Warsaw ghetto here... I hope I have the sense & means to get my bod across however many borders it takes long before it gets down to a kill-or be-killed situation. My country- where the hell did it go?

I guess this must be based on the fact that a Bush victory is guaranteed, since Dick Cheney has pretty much guaranteed that Al Qaeda will strike our homeland on a larger scale than 9/11 if we don't all vote for Bush.

It seems to me the only way he could say that is if he knew for a fact that Al queda would not attack before the elections. Unless of course he's just stupid.

I said the same thing a few days ago. We are not to talk about that stuff, I guess but, But................

Sorry, I guess that is kind of a conspiracy thing.

US Airways has yet to declare bankruptcy, but that didn't prevent them from shifting their entire $2billion defined pension benefit plan over to the US government. This trend is going to kill pensioners. Get very used to it. There is no money to pay these benefits.

I guess this must be based on the fact that a Bush victory is guaranteed, since Dick Cheney has pretty much guaranteed that Al Qaeda will strike our homeland on a larger scale than 9/11 if we don't all vote for Bush.

It seems to me the only way he could say that is if he knew for a fact that Al queda would not attack before the elections. Unless of course he's just stupid.

I said the same thing a few days ago. We are not to talk about that stuff, I guess but, But................

Sorry, I guess that is kind of a conspiracy thing.

CONSPIRACY:

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.

2. A group of conspirators.

3. Law. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.

4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

When free thought is defined as "conspiracy theory", it is done so to brand those who are willing to think outside the box, and express their opinions freely, as somehow inferior to the mainstream group thinkers. People who think too freely can be threatenting to those who do not wish to be intellectually challenged for their own reasons. The most well orchestrated and tightly controlled conspiracies in the world today are surely being directed from within the White House...it just depends on whose value systems and laws you use to define morals, ethics and legality.

Was there a conspiracy to invade Iraq?

Is there a conspiracy to hide George Bush's service records, or is it a conspiracy to reveal them to the public?

Is there a conspiracy to bankrupt the United States?

Is there a conspiracy to be in a perpetual state of war?

Is it conspiratorial to discuss it?

The more frequently you hear those in positions of power accusing free thinkers of being "Conspiracy Theorists" - the more you need to open your minds and your ears to what is really going on. Once trends are allowed to move too far in one direction, they can lead to the alienation of intellectuals as "wackos" - and a resulting loss of freedoms.

Trying to figure out what's REALLY going on - who REALLY benefits - and what the media's role in things REALLY is - is not in and of itself, conspiratorial.

Daring to voice one's opinion on the streets of Manhattan during the Republican Convention resulted in two things...a trip to jail until such time as the convention was over (it is illegal to hold someone that long without a preliminary hearing - or at least it used to be in the United States), and being labeled in the MAINSTREAM MEDIA as an "Anarchist."

The media actually labeled anyone protesting in opposition to the policies of the Bush Administration as an ANARCHIST. How dare they? Who gave them that power? Look there!

Not caring about these things represents a Conspiracy Of Complacency.

Property & Casualty Insurance pricing is going to go through the roof in the wake of these recent storms. This will all get passed through to bagholders...uh, I mean Homeowners...and will serve as yet another direct tax on those who are in the unfortunate position of being the wallet-of-last-resort for both states and insurers. The cost of home ownership is rising exponentially and even if the market merely stagnates, the carry-cost will force many to stop their discretionary spending at the least.

Taking a page straight out of the Cheney administration's playbook...

Invoking Terror Threat, Putin Tightens Grip on Power

By Sergei Blagov

CNSNews.com Correspondent

September 14, 2004

Moscow (CNSNews.com) - Following a series of deadly attacks by Muslim terrorists, Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered a far-ranging review of the country's political policies, but critics see the move as simply consolidating the Kremlin's power.

Russia needed to build a strong and united state, Putin told a special meeting of his cabinet and 89 regional governors Monday.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus....R20040914c.html

More on the oil conspiracy:

Saboteurs blow up Iraqi oil junction

BEIJI, Iraq (AP) ? Saboteurs blew up a junction where multiple oil pipelines cross the Tigris River in northern Iraq on Tuesday, sending plumes of smoke leaping into the sky, officials said.

Firefighters struggled to put out the blaze after the attack near Beiji, 155 miles north of Baghdad. U.S. military officials surveying the blast estimated it could take up to three days to put out the fire.

Crude oil cascaded down the hillside into the river. Fire burned atop the water, fueled by the gushing oil.

Beiji is the point where several oil pipelines converge, said Lt. Col. Lee Morrison of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

"Beiji is the chokepoint," he said. "It's so easy to hit."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/20...-iraq-oil_x.htm

More on the oil conspiracy:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...=top_world_news

Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- The OPEC minister for Saudi Arabia, the world's largest crude-oil exporter, said oil markets have more than enough supply, a sign that prices may drop further from record highs should demand slow.

Two new Saudi oil fields, called Qatif and Abu Safah, will be fully on line this month, adding 800,000 barrels to daily capacity, the minister said. Saudi Arabia plans to produce 9.5 million barrels a day through October, in line with current supplies, al-Naimi said.

``Our official current capacity is 10.5 million barrels a day,'' al-Naimi said. ``We have just brought on an 800,000-barrel- a-day increment. Our new capacity can be anywhere above that.

``The only way to know what capacity is is when you are running flat out,'' al-Naimi said, declining to specify what is the limit for Saudi daily output.

IMO, what should be banned is sale of all US manufactured guns, tanks, planes, missles, bombs, etc to any and all foreign powers unless those identical weapons are for sale to the general public in the US without restriction. It seems to me we end up constantly facing our own weapons time and time again as those weapons get passed around in the global arms markets.

The assault gun ban was a very poorly written piece of legislation, and probably intentionally. It did nothing in terms of limiting the availble firepower, it only changed the way they looked slightly. It did not restrict the sale of pre-ban weapons or their larger clips, which remained in plentiful supply all through the last ten years. Any weapon originally designed to be fully automatic but sold only to the public in a semi-automatic version can normally be easily restored to fully automatic operation by most gunsmiths - so even banning automatic weapons is a bit of a sham. In the long run the "bad" guys will always have virtually any weapon they desire, while the sheeple are prevented from legally owning the same weapons. Laws do not prevent criminals from obtaining "illegal" weapons. Hell they're already breaking multiple laws or planning on doing so, so what's one more added to the tally? Do you honestly think if terrorists were planning an attack in the US, they would stop and say "we can't use those guns, they're illegal in the States"? On the other hand if criminals knew they stood a good chance of facing an equally armed citizen, would they be as brazen? Those few brave communities that have passed mandatory gun ownership laws have remarkably low violent and overall crime rates.

You want to ban something that is known to kill hundreds of thousands by disease or the effects of the substance, let's ban alcohol. We tried that once. Worked real well too, didn't it. Consumption actually rose, violence increased as the black market fought for control of territory, and criminals became wealthy and then went into politics - like Kennedy. Our "war" on drugs has been equally effective.

Saboteurs blew up an oil pipeline in northern Iraq on Tuesday, knocking out 200,000-300,000 bpd of crude exports from the northern Kirkuk oilfields. The crude was being pumped to Turkey through a back-up pipeline after an attack on the main northern export line on Sept. 2.

Ivan, one of the fiercest Atlantic storms on record, was heading into the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, home to about a quarter of U.S. oil and gas output.

Shell Oil Co. closed 272,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil output and ChevronTexaco Corp., ExxonMobil Corp. and Total SA also shut some production as companies evacuated more than 3,000 workers as a precaution.

http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle....storyID=6228578

Grand Cayman was submerged in a 15- to 20-foot tidal surge as the storm passed yesterday. The island was for a time split into two, as the ocean swept across the west coast at Seven Mile Beach, said Gray Smith, a partner in Maples and Calder, the largest law firm on the island. Smith spoke by telephone from the firm's London Office.

``We were out of contact entirely for more than 24 hours,'' he said, before reaching some of the firm's 200 Cayman-based employees by cell phone today.

Smith said power and telephone service remains out, and more than half the island's buildings lost their roofs as the hurricane swept through.

The firm's Ugland House headquarters in George Town was damaged when the roof of Queensgate House next door flew off, he said. Maples has offices in both buildings.

The winds of the Category 5 hurricane ripped homes apart like ``matchsticks,'' reporter Paulette Connolly said in a Citadel Radio interview monitored by Cayman Net News. Cars and trucks floated away like toys during the storm surge, she said.

``It is unimaginable. We are devastated. The sea went through apartments,'' Connolly said, Cayman Net News reported.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...=top_world_news

Archived