Bears Blew It?

Market Status (2/6/2003) :

Today, after opening lower, the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 indices' performance was fairly flat. There was a small amount of supportive volume in the morning that helped move the market slightly higher by midday, but this was countered by a couple resistive VMA spikes to the upside that moved the market slightly lower in the afternoon. Nearing the end of the day there was another small supportive VMA spike to the downside that helped the market move a bit higher at the end of the day, but overall the market remained fairly flat and without much significant volume. Due to the lack of any significant volume spikes, we believe that the market will most likely move lower in the short-term. But the VMA spike at the end of the day today may cause a short-term move-up before the market continues on its current downtrend.

mv

this just in

$tyx

post-7-1044593887.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This just in:

HyperTiger Gets Job as TV Newswriter!

Unbelievably, one of the Minneapolis TV stations ran a "lifestyle" piece about how mortgage debt is what prevents people from amassing wealth, and how living frugally and paying off the mortgage as quickly as possible is the key to financial freedom.

Tomorrow, will they talk about fiat currency?

:o

Sounds like a surefire indicator of a top in the Refi mkt.

Now that everyone's tapped out they want to be sure when the Repo man comes, there's plenty of equity.

Bank of America to slash 1,000 tech jobs

Bank of America Corp. said today that it will cut about 1,000 technology and back-office jobs in a cost-saving move related to both tough economic times and the ability to more efficiently handle internal processes.

The cuts at the Charlotte, N.C.-based bank will take place in the first quarter and are part an overall cost-reduction plan throughout the company that was first announced in November, said spokeswoman Lisa Gagnon. "There is no grand plan to outsource. These are cuts being made because of the economy," she said. ...

Computerworld

Side note: BofA eliminated 8,726 jobs, or 8.1 percent, of its workforce last year

It has no E, but the price is under 20 bucks. In addition to the usual roses and dinner for V-day, I usually like to get the wife a movie she will enjoy. This makes up for my frequent fishing trips that sometimes last 17 days. I believe that this practice is referred to by many of the male gender as "sucking up"! :P

MGS,

In all seriousness, you can rent it on cable where I am for 3.95. Perhaps you can do the same on your cable system. Rent it off the cable on Valentines Day and if she wants to see it again, then buy it. If not, you got stopped out with less of a loss. :grin:

BTW, I call it "money in the bank." "Sucking up" is another game I play with Madame Dung later in the evening. :wink2:

In all seriousness, you can rent it on cable where I am for 3.95. Perhaps you can do the same on your cable system. Rent it off the cable on Valentines Day and if she wants to see it again, then buy it. If not, you got stopped out with less of a loss.

In all fairness, we received a DVD player for Christmas and have one lonely DVD to play in it without going to rent some (pain in the arse!), so I thought I'd get some worthwhile movies to keep on hand for those moments when there is nothing to watch together even with 130 channels available all the time. Funny, when we had only 3 stations there was never any shortage of worthwhile programming available. :huh:

Banking Index Breaks Support

By Bill Bruns of Schaeffers Research

2/6/2003 2:12 PM ET

...With the broad market attempting to find its footing, it is noteworthy that banking issues are attempting to mount a rebound after breaching a significant support level. As the chart below illustrates, today's decline puts the BKX just below lower rail of a trading range that has provided support for the index for several months...

030206bkx1.gif

SOURCE: Schaeffers Research

I guess I will friggin never understand TA and the nonsense logic behind how it is used. Progressively lower lows and limp dicked Dover Sole bounces are a Dong Sign? Jesus,Mother Mary and Moses! You can read anything anytime into any market action you want, that is why I stand by my essential conviction that ,with the exception of our beloved leader, Dr Stool, technicians are a dime a dozen Dog Food Dieticians. I have long beleived that TA is just about as good as the rear view mirror one uses to view it in. If we bounce tommorrow it will be ' see we are bouncing, that low volume selling yesterday was my confirmation'. If we breakdown tommorrow the idiot wrap will be 'see, volume means nothing in a selling decline, I told you so, nah,na,na,nah,na. Primary function of all TA is to control fear as Mavericks slide up to the Keno table. best, buddhadropping

Interesting point.

The people that I'm aware of who 1) amassed considerable wealth investing in the market and 2) kept it include Warren Buffet, Charlie Munger, a few lesser known names of the Graham and Doddsville school, and Jim Rogers all in their own way made investing decisions based on market fundamentals. Even "speculators" such as Rogers have no use whatsoever for TA.

Can anyone provide me with a counter-example?

A "Warren Buffet" of TA?

Intrigued.

Guest BEARDRECH
I have to mention this crazy idea I've had in my head a for a few days. Supposing there was a war in Korea, specifically S Korea, something I do not expect but if it happened, a lot of semiconductor supply and manufacturing capicity might go off line or even get wrecked.

Someone would make a bullish case out of this, for the fab equipment makers especially.

The whole idea is silly and worthless for decision making, as funnymentals always are. Still, something to keep in the back of the head to worry about.

To get this market down we need a pebble thrown into the pond.

JORMA AND BAREEISTER

Doesnt this come under the all purpose escape clause in every written agrreement---FORCE MAJEUR==WHICH in my lay understanding, permits anyone to escape the consequences of an act of god--inasmuch as any contest between a human and god is nullified under the anti-trust and rico statute :o :unsure:

Re: the DVDs/VHSs, check out amazon.com or ebay for the used ones. You can buy for so much less than in the retail stores, add $2.50 for shipping, no sales tax, and add the movie to your library. It is often cheaper than a single ticket to see a film in a theater. Last year's releases are sometimes $3 or 4 plus shipping. Haven't been burned yet.

Anyone have experience with or an opinion of Linda Bradford Raschke "swing-trading" calls?

I have no experience with their site/service - but Linda is well-known. She is a very, very good technician. One of the best. I would seek to learn from her. I wouldn't trust an indicator I don't understand, no matter who uses it - but in your place I would seek to understand and backtest it, just because Linda is using it.

Regards,

Vesselin

The Deep Blue Sea,

There's a book called "How I made a million dollars in the stock market." A good book. THe author, after losing and losing, begins to understand the markets, and learns that HE can't rely on fundamentals alone. He becomes a techno-fundamentalist :) That's his definition, not mine. I can'rt remember who wrote it, offhand, but it's a famous book.

Archived