The Swap Meet

Hanky-You think your parents got trouble-NY Times had a story about a small town upper state, 10,000 residents. The towns employees contribute to the N.Y. State pension fund. Last year the town's share was 32,000K. This year the town cut programs and set aside 330,000K as the state fund warned about losses. The bill the town got was for 762,000K. Wouldn't want to live in that town-Trade Safe!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Debka (not the most independent news source but fwiw):

"Gulf War tensions peak again Wednesday night. Iran closes borders with Iraq, deploys army on borders in state of preparedness.

Moscow sends charter planes to fly dependents of Russian diplomats and experts out of Baghdad. Turkey evacuates diplomatic staff from Iraqi capital"

Re: The Bradley.

I think the one most folks are looking at is this one. It has been uncanny at times

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Exchan...0/SID20805L.gif

Looks to me like it was ahead of schedule by a few days, and if that's true then the decline into mid March would be underway. Guess we will see soon enough

Other Bradley's are here.The first one is the same but the others are not based on the original formula and are not earth centric or some such jive. I don't check them

http://www.amanita.at/e/faq/e-bradley.htm

Notice they are all saying rally after we get done with this downleg

Just found out my property taxes are going up another 17%.last year they went up 28%,and 20% in 2001.

I'm gonna puke.

Called my parents for some sympathy,they told me their house just got re-assessed from 230k to 480k,their taxes just doubled instantly and my father retired 4 weeks ago.

Move!

Sell your house and rent for a few years. :wink2:

It used to be that the daytraders, and I guess we have to consider the Hedgehogs as daytraders, would buy high tech stocks early in the day and hope to squeeze out a small profit before 4 PM. Finally, they've come to realize that we've been in a 3 yr bear market. So, now they seem to be shorting early in the day and then scrambling to cover before 4 PM. This would seem to account for the frantic last hour rally in recent days. Of course, it didn't happen today. Oh well, as Gerald Loeb used to say, "As soon as you find the key to the Market, they change the lock". :angry:

Mark is right about this market. It is set up to siphon as much money as possible out of whoever "invests" (gambles) in it.

They LOVE taking everyones commissions on trades.

Resistence is 840 on the S&P and anything short of a war rally will not break it.

John Mauldin did an article last week on healthcare. Here is a snippet.

"In the US in 2002, we spent $5,427 per person on healthcare, almost exactly

double of what we spent in 1990. CMS projections estimate that we will

spend $9,972 in 2012. Within another year or so after that, our medical

bill will have doubled from what they are today. Keep in mind, the Baby

Boom did not really get started until 1947, so these costs do not begin to

reflect the potentially accelerating rise in costs after 2012 as my

generation gets older and begins to need ever more medical care."

He thinks we need tort reform and cost cutting methods in health care.

His site is http://www.frontlinethoughts.com but I cannot seem to get to it right now.

His concern is that health care will cause lower corporate profits and wage deflation as employers pass on more of the costs to employees.

the ECB meets again on March 6th I believe. Watch for them to ease. If they do, then the dollar will probably get a boost and Greenspan will start repo blasting again.

He did 4.25 billion in over night Repos today. Wasn't enough to prop up this dog.

http://app.ny.frb.org/dmm/mkt.cfm

Agree on money leaving the markets. The sheeple have investment IQ's of about 40 while everyone else on this board has an investment IQ of 100-120. The sheeple have not started really selling yet.

This gasoline hike has really shook up the world here in CA. Traffic has dramatically improved lately because of the increase in gas prices. Less cars on the road, less giant, wallet emptying SUV's trying to run cars off the road down here. It has actually been almost acceptable lately.

Hate to say it, but, I would not mind gas staying high or even going a little higher from here...Sure has humbled a selfish, narcissistic, hedonistic, materialistic over consuming society.

I also feel that people are doing LESS traveling, LESS bar hopping, LESS boating, etc. This will effect corporate profits for the first quarter of this year.

On housing...as the person that made the Dirt Digger site says, we are literally living off of housing inflation and biotech.

Led Zeppelin- When the levee breaks. Zeppelin 4

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break, (X2)

When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan, (X2)

Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,

Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don't it make you feel bad

When you're tryin' to find your way home,

You don't know which way to go?

If you're goin' down South

They go no work to do,

If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned, (X2)

Thinkin' about me baby and my happy home.

Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago... Sorry but I can't take you...

Going down... going down now... going down....

Archived