Profits and Layoffs, by AGS

. . . The jobless recovery, much in the news lately, is a scary notion. That's why optimists seize upon any shred of evidence that employment is coming back, such as the small downtick in unemployment claims in mid-November. And we keep hearing that U.S. unemployment really isn't so bad after all--just 6.1%, versus three percentage points higher in Europe.

So there's nothing to worry about, right? Wrong. Layoffs are a key concern. And that will have baleful consequences for investors who are betting on better times . . .

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mortgage Applications Decline Last Week

The Mortgage Bankers Association said its seasonally adjusted measure of mortgage loan demand for the week ending Dec. 5 fell 12.2 percent from the prior week to 601.6, the lowest reading since 565.5 for week ending June 14, 2002.

New loan requests to refinance and to buy a home fell last week from the previous week. The mortgage group's seasonally adjusted purchase loan index fell 9.5 percent last week to 399.8, and its seasonally adjusted measure on refinancing activity dropped 15.5 percent to 1,775.5.

Refinancing applications accounted for 49.4 percent of all new requests filed, down from prior week's 50 percent.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...my_mortgages_dc

here's one i've loaded the woodshed with for judgement day on 12/15/2003

Star's patent ruling could send this little IP Co. into orbit.

Monday's make or break.

the chart looks like a steady accumulation pattern and there's been little selling

in it since i rode it from $1.10 to $3.94.

this go aorund it's based around $2, it may be $5, $8 or even $10 if RJR's new

parent tells them to NYET.

B&W informed Star last week they would tell RJR to settle if the judge ruled in

Star's favor.

RJR had previously offerred $150 millionm to settle it, Star was asking $350 million

and ongoing royalties on their tobacco process that removes 97% of carcinogens

using Star's process.

i'm very long it again, as i'm in the thick of STSI's executive team's homeland

here in florida.

just a heads up, this may be a five to ten bagger....

and it could get slammed on an adverse ruling.

wish me luck. this is my next PMU off the wall from the .30's

Hey, what's the deal with all these late trades on WHT.

I had an order to sell at $3.42 working all day yesterday, including after hours.

1) Did it trade above this price

2) Where can one find details on the after hours time & sales.

Thanks

Golden Stools Sink

Will They Float Up Again?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded each morning. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool, a daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get the latest release of the Golden Stool from your Anals RIGHT NOW! Don't miss another Golden Stool!

15 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $2.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

Golden Stools Sink

Will They Float Up Again?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded each morning. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool, a daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get the latest release of the Golden Stool from your Anals RIGHT NOW! Don't miss another Golden Stool!

15 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $2.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

the wall of worry... conitinues, added 5000 DROOPY in pre @ 2.47.

Archived