In Tribute To Lawn Chair Larry

. . . . . . . . . . . . . stupid.1997-11c.jpg

Now let me tell you about Larry Walters, my hero. Walters is a truck driver, thirty-three years old. He is sitting in his lawn chair in his backyard, wishing he could fly. For as long as he could remember, he wanted to go /up/. To be able to just rise right up in the air and see for a long way. The time, money, education, and opportunity to be a pilot were not his. Hang gliding was too dangerous, and any good place for gliding was too far away. So he spent a lot of summer afternoons sitting in his backyard in his ordinary old aluminum lawn chair - the kind with the webbing and rivets. Just like the one you've got in your backyard . . .

. . . . . . . . .stupid.1997-11b.jpg . . . stupid.1997-11a.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the talk here about Ford the past couple of days.

Ford to Cut 3,000 Jobs in Belgium to Reduce Losses (Update3) Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., the world's No. 2 carmaker, will slash a third of jobs at its Genk, Belgium factory as part of 7,750 workforce cuts planned for Europe and North America as sales decline in its two largest markets. The 3,000 firings at Genk, eastern Belgium, where it makes Mondeo cars, follows job reductions of 3,050 in North America announced Tuesday and 1,700 in Germany disclosed Monday. Ford is trying to slash personnel costs by 10 percent this year after second-quarter earnings fell almost a...

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...oUlE&refer=home

Recovery Road

Or Last Chance to Bail?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is now loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should read the Golden Stool! A daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get your daily release of the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

WASHINGTON (October 1, 2003) ? The Mortgage Bankers Association of America (MBA) today released its Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending September 26. The Market Composite Index of mortgage loan applications ? a measure of mortgage loan applications for purchases and refinancings ? increased by 1.1 percent to 707.2 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from 699.6 one week earlier. On an unadjusted basis, the Index increased by 0.9 percent compared with last week up from 686.9 to 692.9.

The MBA seasonally adjusted Purchase Index decreased by 1.1 percent to 397.8 from 402.1 the previous week. The seasonally adjusted Refinance Index increased by 3.2 percent to 2506.8 from 2429.7 one week earlier. Other seasonally adjusted index activity included the Conventional Index, which increased 0.5 percent to 993.5 from 988.1 the previous week. The Government Index increased 5.2 percent to 229.4 from 218.0 the previous week.

"While the 60 to 70 basis point drop in rates we have seen since mid-July has not been enough to trigger another wave of refinancing, it has nevertheless given some borrowers another chance to take advantage of some very attractive rates," said Jay Brinkmann, MBA's vice president of research and economics.

The refinance share of mortgage activity increased to 53.1 percent of total applications, from 51.9 percent the previous week. The adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) share of activity increased to 23.4 percent from 22.7 percent the previous week.

Stagnant

Wow!

Looks like they really want to jam this thing today.

Lots of big gaps to the upside.

Semis look very strong today. ?Might take a stab at some longs on SMH. ?Probably good for a couple of points the next few days.

You sound like MO MO now.

Yeah, I might of made a mistake putting on shorts yesterday. When Brian4 goes long, then watch out.......

I'm sure that Mo-Mo Monkey will be ecstatic.

Just trying to follow the bouncing ball.

Suctors Successfully Synching Cycles

Since September

Get Gas from today's Suctor Watch.. Take a subscribatory to the Anals, for the Gas release you're looking for RIGHT NOW! Along with cycle charts and price targets for 11 other leading market suctors like Oily Discharge, Homebuilders, Aerospace, Healthscare, Biodrech, Dirty SOX and more!?

I heard Art Bell interview Lawn Chair Larry about 5 years ago. You might be able to track down the MP3 of it somewhere on the Internet: it was a truly unbelievable story.

fxfox, or someone else.

I know that 116 was a Yen-dollar battle line and that 110 will probably be another. My question is: where's additional support for the dollar on the way down. I love to watch a good fight with a scorecard.

Tanks!

The ISM index (national version of Chicago PMI released y'day) is due at 10:00 a.m.

After yesterday's disastrous numbers, a weak ISM wouldn't be a surprise today. But it probably won't be good news either.

Food for thought: the classic bull market profile is to open weak, and then surprise everyone with its late strength. Bear markets are the opposite: positive openings which fade to black at the close. Sound familiar?

Archived