The "Good" Old Days - Part 1

And now begins a two part series designed, in the words of our Miss Moneypenny who submitted this for publication here, to make you realize what comfortable lives we lead, even with the periodic stress caused by trading... And at least some of what follows, maybe even all of it, might even be true.

But in any event it's definitely food for thought that provides some interesting perspective and counterpoint to the type of life we enjoy today.

Thank you, Miss Moneypenny! :)

We've all heard the sayings and wondered how they came about!!

Next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be...Here are some facts about the 1500s:

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell so brides carried a bouquet of wildflowers to cover the smell and that is how the tradition started that we have today, of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children-last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it-hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof-hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs." There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could really mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt, Hence the saying "dirt poor." The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they kept adding more thresh until when you opened the door it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway-hence, a "thresh hold."

To be concluded on Thursday.

an2.gifAnd xi has been with us one year today. Happy Anniversary, xi.

And in honor of my having spent all day and most of the night yesterday at The Green Witch I once again open the thread slightly on the early side with the sure knowledge that at 7:30 AM the Power of The Bedde would undoubtedly be greater than the Power of The Stool.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Here on OYSTER goes on FULL ALERT for a tradeable low entering this phase......I have given only 2 tradeable lows since this bear begun......Europe is at the levels or near...Unfortunately US is very stubborn.....I am short Gold....on full alert on Euro and European Bonds....... XSPXX-XSXPX500XIndexXWeeklyX311.gif

Don't get me wrong...I am still holding position shorts but I am looking for all signs from here on incase we have a downside failure....sentiment in Europe is getting very rich here....we also know the largest and fastest moves come near end of cycles........so maybe mucho steam still to come........My cycles suggest at moment low this timeframe....high May.......comments please

Oyster,

I'm with you. A major cycle low like that will probably have some sort of mini panic low, which should come during the next few weeks. Is that what you are thinking?

March 10th - March 17th.........ideally as a low CIT....up into May.......it's what we do here and now that is important.....

Oy,

Over the weekend, I just finished comparing the NAZ today with the Dow in late '32 and the Nikkei in '93. The weekly and monthly setups are eeerily similar. If the Naz doesn't drop very hard, very soon, we may be in pre launch mode.

All this just throws caution to the wind for me here...extra caution......I will be looking to lock in some position profits in this timeframe

Good morning.

Many tanks to all the Stoolies who signed up for the Anals, and/or left a dropping in the pooper scooper in the last 24 hours! After starting out very very quiet it ended up a very big day.

Welcome to the Stoolie family. Doc sincerely appreciates your support.

Enjoy!

Don't get me wrong...I am still holding position shorts but I am looking for all signs from here on incase we have a downside failure....sentiment in Europe is getting very rich here....we also know the largest and fastest moves come near end of cycles........so maybe mucho steam still to come........My cycles suggest at moment low this timeframe....high May.......comments please

I have the 19 +- 2 days as a low. I'm watching 819-831 as stops.

Good luck.

I have the 19 +- 2 days as a low. I'm watching 819-831 as stops.

Good luck.

yes...MTD (weekly) turn area +/-.....March 10th is intermediate (day) +/-.....many thx.....still could get very ugly here.....it would surprise if we didn't for sure!

Archived