Back above "support"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite disappointed in the available images for "Donner Party." You woulda thought someone woulda done some kinda clever stuff with that, but no.

Maybe I shoulda tried YooHoo search insteada GOOOOOOOOOOG.

EDIT: YooHoo has an amazing number of pictures of people whose last name happens to be Donner. But I found it rather disturbing that when I typed in "Donner Party" in the search box, it suggested "Dunkin Donuts." :blink:

you got one comment i know

cause some of us older farts studied histwa

I missed it. What was it?

You know, the funniest thing about Avatar, I went to the theater, and of course it was dark as hell in there, but here's the funny part. Everyone in the theater was wearing sunglasses, and it was a cloudy day.

I guess it was a group outing for the visually impaired or something.

Public television has a program about the Donner Party scheduled for tonight.

I was wondering if it was intended as instruction for the future, or history.

:mellow:

I don't know what the show will be about but it reminds me of my favorite blog essay of all time. 'Dead Right' by John Hobo. The topic is political but in a theoretical way. The topic of the Donner Party enters:

“Contemporary conservatives still value that old American character. William Bennett in his lectures reads admiringly from an account of the Donner party written by a survivor that tells the story in spare, stoic style. He puts the letter down and asks incredulously, “Where did those people go?”............'

Words fail me; links not much better. The Donner party? Where did all these people go? Into each other, to a dismaying extent.....

The stoical endurance of the Donner party in the face of almost unimaginable suffering is indeed moving. The perseverance of the survivors is a lasting testament to the endurance of the human spirit. (On the other hand, the deaths of all who stoically refused to cannibalize their fellows might be deemed an equal, perhaps a greater testament.) But it is by no means obvious – some further demonstration would seem in order – that lawmakers and formulators of public policy should therefore make concerted efforts to emulate the Donner’s dire circumstances. What will the bumper-stickers say? “It’s the economy, stupid! We need to bury it under ten to twelve feet of snow so that we will be forced to cannibalize the dead and generally be objects of moral edification to future generations.”

I think the Donner party – who, be it noted, set out seeking economic prosperity in the West, not snow and starvation – would not vote Republican on the strength of William Bennett’s comfortable edification at the spectacle of their abject misery. (“Let’s start with the fat one over there in the corner, playing the slots. We can eat off him for a week. See how he likes it.”)

http://examinedlife.typepad.com/johnbelle/...dead_right.html

I was quite disappointed in the available images for "Donner Party." You woulda thought someone woulda done some kinda clever stuff with that, but no.

Maybe I shoulda tried YooHoo search insteada GOOOOOOOOOOG.

EDIT: YooHoo has an amazing number of pictures of people whose last name happens to be Donner. But I found it rather disturbing that when I typed in "Donner Party" in the search box, it suggested "Dunkin Donuts." :blink:

Drano,

I found this image.....

post-1110-1265073219.jpg

Archived