B4 The Bell, Humpday, June 16

:D Welcome to B4 the Bell! :D

Uncle Fukui and the BOJ hold rates steady. Will he ever raise rates above zero again?

As Recovery Gains Strength, Japan Holds Steady on Rates

By TODD ZAUN

Published: June 16, 2004

TOKYO, June 15 - The Bank of Japan on Tuesday gave its rosiest assessment of the economy in more than a decade, saying that a rise in corporate profits was fueling growth in jobs.

The central bank's review follows a string of recent economic reports that indicate the country's two-year-old recovery is gaining strength.

The review was released after the central bank's policy board met and decided to leave its ultraloose monetary policy unchanged.

The bank's monthly report on the economy is closely examined by economists and investors for subtle changes in wording that might offer hints of possible changes in the bank's interest rate policy.[/i]

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/16/business...ness/16yen.html

Hey Uncle Fukui, did you notice this?

Japan's Bonds Plunge, Yields Rise to Highest Since October 2000

June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Japanese bonds fell, driving yields to their highest since October 2000, after stocks gained on speculation rising demand for exports will help the economy extend its longest expansion since 1997.

Twenty-year bonds also sank on concern economic growth will reduce demand at the government's 600 billion yen ($5.48 billion) sale of the securities tomorrow. The Bank of Japan said yesterday the economy is ``gathering stronger momentum'' as rising corporate profits boost job creation.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...efer=news_index

post-20-1087384522_thumb.jpg

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see...terrorist attacks up...Iraqi oil flow essentially stopped for at least a week (until the next attack), and inflation is rising...yet oil prices remain flat and gold is falling.

Sure...that makes sense.

HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE MEDIA. LOOK AT THE SUBJECT OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTION (INFLATION) AND THEN READ THE ANSWER BUSH GAVE. NO FOLLOW UP QUESTION WAS ASKED WHEN HE COMPLETELY ANSWERED A QUESTION HE HAD NOT BEEN ASKED.:

Gas, food costs push prices to highest in 3 years

Associated Press

Posted June 15 2004, 1:00 PM EDT

Asked about inflation Tuesday during an appearance with Afghan President Harmid Karzai, President Bush said he was optimistic about future business prospects.

He said he was "pleased" with the performance of the economy.

"I guess if you want to find something to be pessimisstic about, you can find it," he said. But Bush also said the economy is resilient and has weathered war, recession, corporate boardroom scandals and terrorist attacks.

"We've overcome a lot," he said. "Not only are we strong today, we are getting stronger....our economy is the strongest of any major industrialized country in the world."

IN CASE YOU'RE KEEPING TRACK AT HOME...THIS IS ABOUT THE MILLIONTH TIME BUSH HAS USED THE WORDS "STRONG, STONGER & STRONGEST"...ALTHOUGH THIS TIME HE MANAGED TO FIT THEM ALL INTO ONE SENTENCE.

THIS IS MR. BUSH'S FALL-BACK WORD. HE LEARNED IT ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL FOUR YEARS AGO (WHEN HE WAS TAKING ENGLISH LESSONS AND UNDERGOING HIS MEDIA TRAINING MAKEOVER) TO OVERCOME THE WIMP FACTOR.

"WHENEVER YOU NEED TO OBFUSCATE, OR HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ANSWER A QUESTION INTELLIGENTLY, YOU'LL SOUND AUTHORATATIVE AND POWERFUL IF YOU USE THE WORDS STRONG, STRONGER OR STRONGEST. IT WOULD ALSO BE HELPFUL IF YOU'D PUFF YOUR CHEST OUT AND WALK LIKE JOHN WAYNE WHENEVER THE CAMERAS ARE ROLLING"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local...-business-front

I was reading one of the Japanese papers last night, Nikki I think, where

one of their bankrupt BANKS was being audited.

So far 600-billion+Y had been totaled as deficit. Another public bailout no doubt.

Futures jam delayed until 330am as someone was snoozing

All oil in Iraq for export purposes now cut off.

Oil now up only 4 cents on the news and falling

Oil must not be allowed to react normally to disruptions by the "insurgents" or the terrorists have won.

Again the dollar is in demand up .74 and they are stepping on the metals

Market has become so predictable

Adobe just downgraded prior to earnings tomorrow. BUY

If you're inclined to believe that the issue of decreased trading volume is a trend, you might be inclined to take a look at brokerage stocks to ascertain whether or not they are fairly valued.

I am of the opinion that this is one sector that will be hardpressed to hide the simple fact that transaction income is falling. If it is true that measures are being put in place that would prevent brokerages and mutual funds from shorting stocks, and the Fed's goal is to "manage" things by squeezing all of the speculation out of the market while holding the market steady at this overbought level, volume will simply dry up. These guys will be stuck in stocks, babysitting them on their client's behalf, unable to move to cash and left with no choice but to churn the portfolio and cost their clients money.

I further assume that in the event of another domestic "incident" - a market decline will not be allowed, and ALL means necessary will be employed to prevent it. The only reason short selling has not been banned entirely is that short squeeze money is the only money available to prop stock prices.

The hand writing is on the wall, the shorts have learned the lesson, and the low volume is going to kill the brokerages...which seems fair.

Cycles will seize-up. Sideways is the goal.

Get Gas from today's Suctor Watch.. Take a subscribatory , for the Gas release you're looking for RIGHT NOW! Pluscycle charts and price targets for 12 other leading market suctors like Oil, Homebuilders, Aerospace, Biodrech, SOX and more!?

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

Bearman:

I don't favor any of the candidates, and I don't think any of them hold the answer.

The answer is THE TRUTH.

That is my passion.

Plunger too get the truth out you need a spokesman ie candidate

The US has a 2 party system sad as that is one must make a choice

vote for a issue you belive in or vote your coscience imo

From your last post I take it you do not vote in the US elections.

The party is over. The two party system IS the problem.

The Bill of Rights affords all of us a THIRD OPTION...the opportunity to adopt a new form of government if this one fails us. My vote in this system won't result in a solution to the problem. The two party system of "divide and conquer" IS the problem. I hate all politics.

The only thing I need to get the truth out is a modem and a keyboard. Nobody speaks for me, better than me.

Archived