Stock Market Invincible

...Watching for any weakness in the miners to take some profits but will continue to hold some.

i hear too many peoples (including myself) echoing this strategy; therefore it may be flawed, at least short term. I'll take some short side profits on XAU puts on weakness and sit it out for a while. Swing trading these options has been very profitable of late due to volatility. As long as you catch the winning side.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naz got whacked harder than SPX yesterday, and it's happening again this morning.

Let's face it, without that fantastic 50% Naz gain in the past 8 months, nobody would give a damn about the stock market. If this limp-ass action keeps up, the jaded and easily-bored hot money will move on to some other bubble. To something safe, like real estate. /joke ... please don't flame me/

Yes, the 27-year-old fund mismanagers are giving a hard rethink to a career in property flipping. Otherwise the filet mignon and lobster tail dinners, and the weekend drive to East Hampton in the Ferrari, may give way to claustrophobic evenings in the rabbit-hutch Manhattan apartment, munching on Naz-aroni ("the AMAT/Cisco treat") with powdered cheese.

Machine...great description...."Mismanagers" :D

Smurfit-Stone to cut 1,400 jobs (SSCC) By Tomi Kilgore

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) - Smurfit-Stone Container (SSCC) said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission late Thursday that it would reduce its workforce by 1,400 employees over the next 18 months in an effort to cut costs in its containerboard, boxboard and packaging operations. The cost cuts will include the permanent closure of a mill in Thunder Bay, ON, two paper machines in Philadelphia and the temporary idling of a paper machines in Jacksonville, FL. The company said it expects to record a charge of $100 million in the fourth quarter for the actions, which are expected to lead to annual savings of $140 million. The stock closed Thursday down 2 cents at $14.40.

Boxes and container companies were once thought of as the economic equivalent of canaries in coal mines.

They still can be. I used to be an I.T. manager at one. Economic activity and the need for boxes is pretty highly correlated.

EDIT: For aussiebear...the company I worked for was AMCOR USA.

Is Golden Stool a Turd?

About to get flushed?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is now loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should read the Golden Stool! A daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get your daily release of the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

15 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $2.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

If the margin calls show up Gold will get dumped to meet them...My theory...

off today and will be here for awhile.

at what point does the short gold have to cover? 390? 400? 420?

will HT's scenario unfold as stocks are liquidated to buy gold to cover shorts and to not miss the rise?

edit: just saw HT's post prior to mine (coincidence). HT, could it go the other way too?

off today and will be here for awhile.

at what point does the short gold have to cover? 390? 400? 420?

will HT's scenario unfold as stocks are liquidated to buy gold to cover shorts and to not miss the rise?

Gold has pretty stiff resistance from 390-430 from mid-1980s and mid-1990s. Should be the site of a battle.

Naz got whacked harder than SPX yesterday, and it's happening again this morning.

Let's face it, without that fantastic 50% Naz gain in the past 8 months, nobody would give a damn about the stock market. If this limp-ass action keeps up, the jaded and easily-bored hot money will move on to some other bubble. To something safe, like real estate. /joke ... please don't flame me/

Yes, the 27-year-old fund mismanagers are giving a hard rethink to a career in property flipping. Otherwise the filet mignon and lobster tail dinners, and the weekend drive to East Hampton in the Ferrari, may give way to claustrophobic evenings in the rabbit-hutch Manhattan apartment, munching on Naz-aroni ("the AMAT/Cisco treat") with powdered cheese.

Late summer early fall so a great deal of speculation in DRAM and processors. Not just the stocks but the actual components. The rise in component prices is always blindly considered as a leading indicator of tech demand. Of course just like the market when speculation takes over then predictive quality vanishes.

Here is the problem. Unlike Nasdaq lottery tickets components become obsolete rather quickly. Should the second half recovery not accelerate quickly I see a three way collision. 1)Built up inventory will not sell. 2)Order cancellations (double & triple ordering is the order of the day. 3)Speculative inventory will be dumped on the market at any price. Basically a repeat of 2000 only a few orders of magnitude more violent.

An interesting aside; a good friend who owns a small chain of pharmacies was recently telling me about the rampant speculation going on in drug inventories. Pharmacies, drug companies, benefit managers, etc. are trading pills between each other for speculative profit trying to game price increases and formulary list changes.

This mania is completely out of control. Stocks, bonds, real estate and now legal drugs.

I closed Ryvnx yesterday. With MSFT reporting after the bell, I didn't want to lose 2 good down days for a jam. Also from what I understand of it (therefore, I am probably wrong :) ), Ryvnx reflects QQQ options at the 4:15 close. I figured there was a chance MSFT could be factored in if they reported early. Plus a potential SWUP. As I'm limited to mutual funds to short, can anyone suggest other funds?

An interesting aside; a good friend who owns a small chain of pharmacies was recently telling me about the rampant speculation going on in drug inventories. Pharmacies, drug companies, benefit managers, etc. are trading pills between each other for speculative profit trying to game price increases and formulary list changes.

This mania is completely out of control. Stocks, bonds, real estate and now legal drugs.

Great insight, rog. This is the early stage of inflation psychology ... hoarding in anticipation of expected price increases.

Survivalists are hoarding ammo. Anyone who hoarded plywood at last year's prices can turn it for a nice profit now. And so it goes.

Borrow and spend. Let inflation rip.

So you still have faith the gubmint is gonna save your

sorry dip-buying butt? I'm afraid not. Futures are down

big and T-bones are getting bought.

Remeber that feeling in the pit of your stomach 2 days

ago when you were dip buying? Well today it'll be

baaack with a vengence. You'll be munching Prevacids

and Rolaids like they're going out of style.

You helped drive up the price of this crap and IMHO

you deserved to get left holding the bag on an island

top.

Good luck to all true bears.

Archived