B4 The Bell, Moonday, August 16

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From a Saudi business school professor in Jeddah:

The most likely trigger for a reversal in foreign investment is the falling purchasing power of the dollar, especially in the market for oil.

These facts, combined with the skyrocketing, over 20 percent annual growth in "Super Money," mean investors must be on the lookout for rising commodity prices and higher interest rates.

Where US Interest Rates and Inflation Are Heading

Tres mauvais. The big, dumb vendors weren't supposed to catch on so quickly to our polished sleight-of-hand.

What are we gonna do, Al? Huh? Huh? :huh:

Maybe the US $ is already in the process of being rejected by OPEC - they just haven't announed it yet. :o

The article mentioned pretty much hits the mark - but I think the effect on foreigners pumping up the US money supply is not as signficant as stated there.

Yes, the professor may have misstated that. The effect of financing the U.S. current deficit is on the foreigners' money supplies.

The most recent Federal Reserve H.4.1 release shows that the Fed has an $804 billion balance sheet. Off-budget, though, is a 50% larger $1.256 trillion held in custody for foreign central banks.

This is not counted as part of the U.S. money supply, but it's definitely part of foreign money supplies (listed under foreign exchange reserves). The custody account has been growing at an incredible 34% annual rate, as shown by the annual change:

http://federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/Current/

This huge reservoir of foreign purchasing power is available to drive up the price of dollar-denominated internationally-traded goods, particularly Crude Earl. :o

What's not clear to me is who's in the driver's seat -- whether the U.S. drives the custody account growth with its deficit financing -- or the foreigners, who decide how much of the deficit to kick back into Treasury and Agency debt in the custody account.

From a Saudi business school professor in Jeddah:

The most likely trigger for a reversal in foreign investment is the falling purchasing power of the dollar, especially in the market for oil.

These facts, combined with the skyrocketing, over 20 percent annual growth in "Super Money," mean investors must be on the lookout for rising commodity prices and higher interest rates.

Where US Interest Rates and Inflation Are Heading

Tres mauvais. The big, dumb vendors weren't supposed to catch on so quickly to our polished sleight-of-hand.

What are we gonna do, Al? Huh? Huh? :huh:

Maybe the US $ is already in the process of being rejected by OPEC - they just haven't announed it yet. :o

The article mentioned pretty much hits the mark - but I think the effect on foreigners pumping up the US money supply is not as signficant as stated there.

Yes, the professor may have misstated that. The effect of financing the U.S. current deficit is on the foreigners' money supplies.

The most recent Federal Reserve H.4.1 release shows that the Fed has an $804 billion balance sheet. Off-budget, though, is a 50% larger $1.256 trillion held in custody for foreign central banks.

This is not counted as part of the U.S. money supply, but it's definitely part of foreign money supplies (listed under foreign exchange reserves). The custody account has been growing at an incredible 34% annual rate, as shown by the annual change:

http://federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/Current/

This huge reservoir of foreign purchasing power is available to drive up the price of dollar-denominated internationally-traded goods, particularly Crude Earl. :o

What's not clear to me is who's in the driver's seat -- whether the U.S. drives the custody account growth with its deficit financing -- or the foreigners, who decide how much of the deficit to kick back into Treasury and Agency debt in the custody account.

For the most part I think that CBs are reactive - especially Asian central banks whose primary motivation to buy US$'s appears to be a stabilized exchange rate.

As the US trade deficit vis-a-vis OPEC expands, their willingness to stabilze their exchange rates becomes more important. However they have less problems dealing with exchange rates - mainly because of a lack of an effective forex exchange market for their currencies. The Sauds and a few other Arabian peninsula OPEC members may be the last countries buying US$s for political reasons.

"Good day... Well, I left you all on Friday with the thought that the

Trade Deficit would be bad... That was not giving it the credit it

deserved! The Trade Deficit for June wasn't just bad it was AWFUL! The

Deficit soared to $55.8 Billion from a previously revised $46.8

Billion... OUCH! That's going to leave a mark! "

From Everbank's Chuck Butler's newsletter: The Daily Pfennig. You can get these on The Daily Reckoning site (below Mogambo's citation) or by going to

http://www.everbank.com/main.asp?affid=eb

and signing up. Provides a great short summary of the news of the day from a forex standpoint.

I wouldnt stand in front of this thing if they held a gun to my head.

This will be a wire to wire day

Count on it.

Sure is looking that way. The bushman is speaking on how good things are and how much he is doing for Americans.

Archived