B4 The Bell Fryday 10/15/04

DrStool

Notice how gasoline prices are gapping up, not just a penny here & there.

Either start conserving now or we're going to see some panic, IMO. Inventories are stretched thin. No room for errors.

Thats funny you mention conservation. I had a discussion today with a dear friend about the 70's and Jimmy Carter's lowered speed limits, gasahol, etc.

We laughed at how the conservation word has been absent this time around.

Just talk on the radio of how you can take advantage of the deals on SUVs now because oil will come back down real soon and gas prices will surely follow.............Give me a break :wacko:

Good Luck this week!

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certain that I'm violating all kinds of Capitalstool rules by posting this, but here goes:

Although Canada is currently a supposedly sovereign nation, we don't have the military strength to oppose an invasion by the US. "Liberating" Canada would certainly have a negative effect on world opinion, but from a practical point of view, there would be little other nations could or would do to oppose such an invasion. This wouldn't come about, as the politicians in Ottawa are aware of this, and thus shape their behavior accordingly. Certainly Canuckistanis can make noises about pigs and lumber, but in the big scheme of things, power decides international confrontations. When push comes to shove, there could be trouble in the Great White North.

Learn to say this: I, for one, would welcome our new American masters.

At this point I don't know how much I can criticize the Shrub. Perhaps the decisions that he has made make sense based on the information that has been provided to him. I really don't know.

I am very concerned for the future. I don't think it will matter in the long run if Kerry or Bush is elected, the die is already cast. I don't think that humanity is doomed, but certainly we'er in for a difficult time in the next few decades.

On another point, I'm curious if discontinuous events (such as crashes) coincide with cycle highs and lows, or if they come out of nowhere, kind of like rogue waves?

TPARK -

how about Rule #5? :lol:

Bizzaro- Canada will not buy into this, not a hope in Hell in fact I think Paul Martin is being smart letting the talks take place cuz when push comes to shove he will simply say Canadians don't want this-therefore I say no on their behalf! Peeb hate to break your bubble but we actually make the drugs we consume right here in Canada.  We have only been importing to meet the demand from the U.S.. ;)

i hate when you break my bubble too... :lol: i thought you were buying from US cos in bulk?

then i condemn canadians for retraint of trade :lol: ... dammit, there is something wrong here, i can feel it, just cant figure it out?

we had el nino type rain last night and part of today.... maybe its gonna be an el nino winter.... i hate when that happens

Abby Just a Colon: you know you are absolutely correct. no talk of muni transit, no talk of rationing or conservation, etc... i hadnt realized that until you brought it up, but you're right....

Ickster you are amazing-a man of letters! ;)

Geez B4, I didn't think that you western proggies read Gibran- Thought his audience were all like Icky :P

I have my worn copy of "The Prophet" in hand, as we speak! LOL

Guest Icky Twerp

why are youse guys still here on a sunday night?

Are you just up watching the Yanks put the fork in the hapless Sox?

Dam' Yankees! I'd give my soul. . . .

Guest Icky Twerp

I suggest that this is the quatrain B$ meant for consumption:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

The most famous lines of the Rubaiyat -- but perhaps not, being aware of the subtleties of the mind of B$.

I just received this email:

Hello,

We sent you an email a while ago, because you now qualify for a new mortgage.

You could get $300,000 for as little as $700 a month!

Bad credit is no problem, you can pull cash out or refinance.

Please click on this link for free consultation by a mortgage broker:

Start Saving Here

Best Regards,

Ofelia Greene

This stuff NEVER stops. Hundreds of them, day after day after day.

Moi aussi,Twig.But I live in NL and not US B)

Just one of the many facets of Greensputin's productivity and mis-allocation of resources miracle!!

the Kremlin decided to turn the military wick up the same week as the Yukos debacle, by discreetly leaking a report showing the devastating Sunburns would be progressively replaced in 2004 by the even more devastating SS-N-25 ?Onyx?. Though at first glance it might seem impossible for the Russians to improve on the unstoppable Sunburn, they have managed to do so, thus ensuring absolute Russian and Chinese supremacy in the Eastern Hemisphere for at least the next two decades.

Though Sunburn can fly 150 kilometers at Mach 2.1 [1,520 mph] at an average altitude of 60 feet, Onyx leaves this performance for dead. Using the same launch tubes as Sunburn, Onyx streaks along its extended 200+ kilometer flight path at a blistering Mach 2.9 [2,100 mph], while hugging the ground even closer at an average altitude of only 45 feet. Onyx is 100% ?Fire and Forget?, meaning that once out of the launch tube, flight management is entirely automatic, and you can forget the doomed 93,000-ton aircraft carrier sitting meekly down range, only minutes away from being converted into environmentally-friendly heat and light.

Though SS-N-25 deployment might seem like giant overkill, this is far from being the case, because Onyx differs from Sunburn in one utterly crucial way. So great is the kinetic energy at the point of impact on the target, that Onyx can sink an American aircraft carrier using only a conventional penetrating warhead. Those boffins who might doubt this should calculate the impact energy of 5,500 pounds of missile striking a carrier at a terminal velocity of 2,460 feet per second. Onyx means that Russia or China can sink American aircraft carriers at will without ever having to escalate to nuclear warfare, which gives both countries a massive strategic advantage.

Though Sunburn can fly 150 kilometers at Mach 2.1 [1,520 mph] at an average altitude of 60 feet, Onyx leaves this performance for dead.

Plunger-

So what's the big deal?

Is this the first you ever heard of these types of weapons?

60 Feet is actually pretty high making it making it much more vulnerable to shoot down, than say a French Exocet, circa 1975 technology, that was only about ~Mach 1 but could go to 9 Meters (10 Feet) during cruise/final attack.

The "Sunburn" seems rather a clumsy, low tech thing compared to the Exocet.

I just received this email:

Hello,

We sent you an email a while ago, because you now qualify for a new mortgage.

You could get $300,000 for as little as $700 a month!

Bad credit is no problem, you can pull cash out or refinance.

Please click on this link for free consultation by a mortgage broker:

Start Saving Here

Best Regards,

Ofelia Greene

This stuff NEVER stops. Hundreds of them, day after day after day.

My wife recieved a personal call from her banker on Friday about increasing her credit line. They were very concerned why her wonderful credit was not being put to work. I despise these people.

Of course we told them where to take their "concerns"

Though Sunburn can fly 150 kilometers at Mach 2.1 [1,520 mph] at an average altitude of 60 feet, Onyx leaves this performance for dead.

Plunger-

So what's the big deal?

Is this the first you ever heard of these types of weapons?

60 Feet is actually pretty high making it making it much more vulnerable to shoot down, than say a French Exocet, circa 1975 technology, that was only about ~Mach 1 but could go to 9 Meters (10 Feet) during cruise/final attack.

The "Sunburn" seems rather a clumsy, low tech thing compared to the Exocet.

The big deal is not about the weapons, it's about what was actually behind Putin's imprisonment of the owner of Yukos and the broader implications that tie the threats of a Russian/Chinese cooperation pact to the Yukos Oil confiscation, who is impacted, and how.

Archived