IDS World Markets Wed 25th February 09

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Loser's Rally

Even though the S&P 500 rallied 4% today, the average stock in the index was up 5.42%, which means the bigger companies in the index underperformed the smaller ones. We also broke the index into deciles (50 stocks in each decile) based on year to date stock performance through yesterday's close to see how prior performance this year impacted today's moves. As expected, the 50 stocks that were down the most through yesterday were up an average of 13.16% today, while the 50 stocks that had held up the best so far this year were only up an average of 3.93%. As we've seen with most Dover Sole rallies during this bear market, investors have been bidding up the losers, only to see them suffer once again when the rally teeters out. Until there is a significant trend change, profit-taking is a must for those buying beaten-down shares on days like today.

6a00d8349edae969e201116895f101970c-800wi

To anyone who don't want to see bloomberg - USE FIREFOX. If you use firefox then install for free a plugin named for example Flashblock. This plugin block EVERY flash on the site. I use is all the time. Thanks to this feature I dont see all flash advertisement.

You also don't see any of the embedded flash posts in the threads, of which there have been many. I don't understand the purpose of blocking content. Why diminish the utility of this site? THe Bloomberg feed at the very bottom of the page certainly doesn't interfere with usability, and the embedded flash posts are usually very informative and entertaining.

German GDP for Q4:

-2.1% q/q, -1.6% y/y

UK GDP for Q4:

-1.5% q/q, -1.9% y/y

Currently, german main indice (DAX) is at 3960.49 (+64.74, +1.66%)

USDJPY hi new high:97.320 and still refuse to go down.

BTW, I'm not pretty sure if this cross is still the main carry trade oil. Couple years ago, there was a great difference between interest rate in Japan and other counties. Now, in US or Switzerland, the interest rate are also low so I don't see a point why should anyone use JPY for carry trade now.

Was thinkin along the same lines meself...

may be why EUR/JPY GBP/JPY USD/JPY recently have not been correlating to indexes as strongly as they have over the last few years, now that everybody is nearing the zero bound..

Japan export fall off the cliff -46%

stories:

http://informthetrend.blogspot.com/2009/02...ll-stalled.html

Exports in January saw a 46% YoY drop and another 10% MoM fall. Cumulative decline since Sep is 36%. Sure imports are down sharply too - off 33% since September, but this is more price than volume so there is still the negative impact on real GDP.

Every region is getting hammered. Asia -47% YoY, US -53%, Europe -46%. Every product also hammered. Transport equip -54% YoY, electric machinery -47%, general machinery -41%.

Is it any wonder industrial output is crashing - those figures for January will be out on Friday.

German, Japanese Exports Plunge

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...rts-plunge.html

Citi Deal Could be Announced Wednesday

Most of the following article is on the stress test, but it does mention that the Citi deal could be announced Wednesday.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2009/02/...-wednesday.html

Another person saying that long on jpy is over:

http://informthetrend.blogspot.com/2009/02...ignificant.html

You also don't see any of the embedded flash posts in the threads, of which there have been many. I don't understand the purpose of blocking content. Why diminish the utility of this site? THe Bloomberg feed at the very bottom of the page certainly doesn't interfere with usability, and the embedded flash posts are usually very informative and entertaining.

I selectively block content because I use a satellite link (Wildblue) which has a bandwidth cap. If I don't do that, I get throttled down to 1/4 speed until the bucket empties.

BTW, I use FF with two plugins, NoScript and Adblock Plus. I still see the embedded flash in the posts, but can block all the dancing bears and other flash fluff. I think the Bloomberg feed is very timely and informative, but I just can't afford it.

It doesn't work that way. When you use flashblock then you see a icon at every page that symbolize the flash content. If I want to see a movie from youtube (many people gives direct link to it in their posts) I just click on the flash icon and it just loads the clip/advisement. Just simple as that.

Why not using bloomberg? Because I'm at work right now in my office and listing music from my laptop. Don't want to have any interference from bloomberg on this site or any other flash in the whole www world while surfing. Thats the power of blocking flash - you want it - just click it, but by definition the flash things doesnt load themself at the start of the page, you have to click them.

To put it in other way - it's better to have a option, dont you think?

Archived