IDS World Markets Wed 25th February 09

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

Green fever spreading to Oz with All Ords +1.4% and most sectors doing a whiplash reversal. REITS, the biggest loser of recent days is +3.8% followed by Financials +2% and Consumer Discretionary +1.8%.

There's a few reds, Gold of course, -2.7%, IT -1.7% and Telecomms -0.2%.

He's ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-ck

The real. The one and only.

Holy flaming pits of diesel.

There are lots of posters I could read, out of context, and guess whether the post was from last week or many years ago.

Not him. 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.....

I especially like the way he asks and answers both sides of the conversation. LAMO .. :lol:

May your shorts goto zero HT.

-- flaming pits of diesel --

Latest is Obama will announce troop withdrawal from Iraq this week, but

"Obama must take up the big issue of whether to stop production of the F-22 aircraft. The fighter jet is not scheduled to be a part of the March 1 budget but will be part of a budget announcement at the end of March. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates does not like the F-22, but knows that if the U.S. cancels the aircraft it will mean tens of thousands of jobs lost."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...-likely-to.html

w?s=^AORD

Looks like Oz saying that the US action was a fakeout. All Ords closed -0.1% with Gold heading the reds, -3.9% followed by IT -1.5% and Utilities -1.4%. There were a few greens: REITS +1.7% and Energy +1.1% were the top gainers.

Miners mostly red: BHP +0.1%, RIO -1%, Newcrest -5.1%, Newmont -6% and Lihir -3.5%.

In the oils, Woodside +1.7%, Santos -0.1% and Caltex -3.9%.

Most the Asian bourses dipped towards end of day: China +0.3%, Honkers +1.1%, India +1.6% and Nikkers +2.7%.

Over to UK/Europe:

Footsie

image;size=239x110

DAX

image;size=239x110

CAC 40

image;size=239x110

http://finance.yahoo.com/

Hong Kong Cuts Taxes as GDP Forecast to Shrink as Much as 3%

Feb. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Hong Kong will make temporary tax cuts and boost spending on infrastructure to prop up an economy heading for its first full-year contraction since 1998, the government said.

Financial Secretary John Tsang announced a one-off salary- tax reduction and waivers of property rates for two quarters in his budget speech to lawmakers today.

Gross domestic product may shrink 2 percent to 3 percent in 2009 as the global financial crisis cuts jobs and exports, after a 2.5 percent expansion last year, the government said. Capital- works spending will be ?very high,? including HK$39.3 billion ($5 billion) in 2009-10, and the city will run deficits for the next five years, Tsang said.

Japan Exports Plummet 45.7%, Deficit Widens to Record

Feb. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Japan?s exports plunged 45.7 percent in January from a year earlier, resulting in a record trade deficit, as recessions in the U.S. and Europe smothered demand for the country?s cars and electronics.

The shortfall widened to 952.6 billion yen ($9.9 billion), the biggest since 1980, the earliest year for which there is comparable data, the Finance Ministry said today in Tokyo. The drop in shipments abroad eclipsed a record 35 percent decline set the previous month.

Exports to the U.S. tumbled an unprecedented 52.9 percent from a year earlier, and shipments to Asia and Europe also posted the largest-ever declines as the global recession deepened. The collapse is likely to force Japanese companies to keep firing workers and closing factories, worsening an economy that shrank the most in 34 years last quarter.

Precious Says Third of Global Ships to Be Scrapped in Two Years

Feb. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Precious Shipping Pcl, Thailand?s largest shipping company by market value, expects a third of the global merchant fleet to be scrapped within two years as trade collapses amid a global recession and tighter credit.

?The banking system is destroyed,? Chief Executive Officer Khalid Hashim said at a shipping conference in Singapore yesterday. ?China?s stimulus plan will help? revive trade, ?but it will not be able to immediately.?

The number of vessels scrapped this year may triple on a trade slump caused by China cutting imports of iron ore and U.S. and European consumers paring spending on Asian-made goods. At the same time, new ships are entering service as shipyards complete orders placed two or three years ago, when trade was booming.

By my counts, this rally should be over, or just about over. Maybe one more marginal thrust higher in the cards... or we may just go straight down from the open. ES is basically flat (down a buck) as I type this.

I'm prolly alone in this bearish view -- seems like everyone else is expecting more rally to short into (except for maybe Swordfish and Doc).

My prediction: SPX 6-handle coming soon. Of course, it's never that easy, and there is still the possibility that we just did an ABC b-wave and will head straight back to the upper end of the range from here before we break down... but based on the form the rally took yesterday, I'm saying "no deal." A bold call? Maybe... but it's so crazy, it just might work (I've always wanted to say that).

So TJ, if you still wanna get rid of that Dow 6-handle paint, I'll give you 50 cents on the dollar for it. :lol:

Time fer bed, see you crazy bastards in the morning.

Archived