The Constitution and the Founding Fathers

Parliamentary democracy seems to me to be a far superior form of government to the mess The US Constitution has wrought, but let's not go into that here. If you want, start a thread on Look Out Below about why the Constitution sucks and the Founding Fathers were a bunch of overzealous jackasses. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I've really begun to think that over the past several years. :o

My argument would start with the simple fact that our government has not actually obeyed the laws of the Constitution for some time.

We can start with the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 -- this was, and continues to be, blatantly unconstitutional.

We can move on to the removal of the gold standard, also unconstitutional. The Constitution states that the government has the power to coin money in gold and silver only.

There is no room for creation of a separate entity, i.e. - the Federal Reserve; and no room for endless paper money printing. How many of our country's problems can be linked, directly or indirectly, to these two things? The national debt, inflation, the banking crisis, the real estate bubble, etc., etc..

What about the income tax, which is also unconstitutional? Corporations are allowed to be taxed on profits from transactions, however individuals are not allowed to be taxed on an even exchange of services for payment (income).

To make a long argument short, we are SO far from a Constitutional government, that it's pretty difficult to blame our current mess on the Constitution. If anything, our current state argues for a return to the rule of law.

Most of the problems in this country have been caused by the government breaking the laws that were created in the Constitution. The Constitution set forth a government that was to serve the people; instead, we have a government that enslaves the people, through creation of endless debt (money supply) and through taxes (another form of debt).

To blame the Constitution when our government is not even following it is akin to blaming the umbrella you forgot at home when you get soaked by a sudden downpour. It's not the umbrella's fault that you didn't bring it along.

Our government has become tyrannical -- in other words, it blatantly ignores the laws which were intended to instill boundaries for the governance of our country. This is not a recent development: the government has ignored the laws for many years now. The solution is a return to the rule of law; i.e. -- a return to Constitutional government.

I humbly submit that our government sucks not because of the Constitution, but in spite of it. The problem is not the document -- honestly, how can our problems be caused by a document we ignore? Parliamentary democracy doesn't work either, if all of its laws are ignored. This holds true for any form of government -- except maybe tyrannical dictatorship, which works as intended when there is no overarching rule of law.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prtzl:

Well said, my friend. I happen to agree that our founding fathers were brilliant in their design of the Constitution. I also fully agree that the current problem is not with the Constitution itself, but the fact that we have strayed so far away from it. Those were great points you brought up. I couldn't of done any better myself and I am very glad that you have taken the time to defend our Constitution, since you are more articulate than I am.

Prtzl:

Well said, my friend. I happen to agree that our founding fathers were brilliant in their design of the Constitution. I also fully agree that the current problem is not with the Constitution itself, but the fact that we have strayed so far away from it. Those were great points you brought up. I couldn't of done any better myself and I am very glad that you have taken the time to defend our Constitution, since you are more articulate than I am.

It seems to me the intent of the Republic/ Constitution was that federal government purpose was to defend individual rights.

Naive? Actually amazed it lasted this long.

Archived