Happy Holiday Weak End Bears

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Less police, less vehicles, less training, etc., all adds up to less protection at a time when crime is increasing. It's going to get worse. :ninja:

To an extent there was a rush to buy guns when Obama got elected. When I ask a dealer about business today, much of the handgund sales are being driven by the economy and personal safety concerns. The increase in state firearm permits and concealed carry permits reflects this.

"Naperville is not unique. A poll of 200 departments during the summer by the Police Executive Research Forum, which studies law enforcement trends, reported 39 percent of respondents said their operating budgets were cut because of the economy and 43 percent said the faltering economy had affected their ability to deliver services."

"We have been asked to look at what we would do if we were asked to cut up to 15 percent. And if we do that that will get into sworn personnel," Phoenix's Harris says, referring to officer positions. He said he fears that could mean up to 250 jobs.

"David Rohrer, police chief in Fairfax County, has cut anti-gang operations, education initiatives and DUI enforcement -- and has been told to prepare for the possibility of layoffs of about 280 officers."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/23/police.economy/

"The situation got so bad this month that the bank repossessed five of his seven cruisers. Four of them sit in the bank parking lot now, shorn of their emergency lights, antennas and seals. In addition to losing his cruisers, the sheriff lost three-fourths of his staff, most of them deputies,

to budget cuts. At its peak, the staff had 29 full and part timers. Now there are five."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/...in5347697.shtml

Meanwhile the pension checks to retired government officials are still going out.

Awesome! A whole 1/2% better than last year.

Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Black Friday sales advanced 0.5 percent from a year earlier as discounts on televisions, toys and computers drew budget-conscious crowds across the U.S., according to ShopperTrak RCT Corp.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...MWzDI&pos=2

Heard that stat as I drove home from SFO this morning at 6:30am. Thought I'd fallen asleep at the wheel and per chance was dreaming - seems like a horrible comparable. But then, perhaps I don't understand the retail sector or the expectations.

Had some damn good Lebanese food at the base of that hill when I was there in August.

That place is a trip...

It's like Vegas...it just shouldn't exist but does anyway....

yeap, something like vegas, been to those to places but prefer vegas - easieg to drink alco hahaha

BTW, some very funny film about vegas:

The Hangover

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119646/

if someone oesnt see it, then go for it. good for friday - not so much to think about...

Heard that stat as I drove home from SFO this morning at 6:30am. Thought I'd fallen asleep at the wheel and per chance was dreaming - seems like a horrible comparable. But then, perhaps I don't understand the retail sector or the expectations.

It IS a horrible stat, so the spin now is that online shopping is up 35% (without saying what % that has been of total sales), so the spin is, to the casual listener/reader, "oh wow, sales are way up, happy times are or will be here again."

The Zen-like chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve might not have topped the list solely for turning his superb academic career into a blueprint for action, for single-handedly reinventing the role of a central bank, or for preventing the collapse of the U.S. economy. But to have done all of these within the span of a few months is certainly one of the greatest intellectual feats of recent years. Not long ago a Princeton University professor writing paper after paper on the Great Depression, "Helicopter Ben" spent 2009 dropping hundreds of billions in bailouts seemingly from the skies, vigilantly tracking interest rates, and coordinating with counterparts across the globe. His key insight? The need for massive, damn-the-torpedoes intervention in financial markets. Winning over critics who have since praised his "radical" moves (including Nouriel Roubini, No. 4 on this list), he now faces an uphill battle in his bid for permanently expanded Fed powers. The radicalism is far from over.

Foreign Policy magazine declares Ben #1 of the worlds top 100 Global Thinkers for 2009. I don't think your view Doc is going to get a lot of traction with the elites.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009...global_thinkers

Meanwhile the pension checks to retired government officials are still going out.

Ironic, isn't it? We are obliged to keep paying the retirees, to make sure they are happy at home, but can't pay the active employees who we need in the streets to help keep law and order.

(just to be fair, we do owe retiree's this money - techinically they earned it and planned their retirements around it). But it's bloated like everything else. And just like social security probably won't be there for others in the future, they should have to tighten the belt also. This is going to get really messy. Everyone will end-up feeling cheated. I felt cheated when I received that 41% property tax increase! Most of that goes to the school system, and for what? Certainly not to maintain their budget status quo. We're probably getting soaked to cover someone else's financial incompetence. It's aggrevating no matter what side of the fence your on.

FYI - I found an interesting website to follow the pension stories of choice:

http://www.pensiontsunami.com/

The Zen-like chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve might not have topped the list solely for turning his superb academic career into a blueprint for action, for single-handedly reinventing the role of a central bank, or for preventing the collapse of the U.S. economy. But to have done all of these within the span of a few months is certainly one of the greatest intellectual feats of recent years. Not long ago a Princeton University professor writing paper after paper on the Great Depression, "Helicopter Ben" spent 2009 dropping hundreds of billions in bailouts seemingly from the skies, vigilantly tracking interest rates, and coordinating with counterparts across the globe. His key insight? The need for massive, damn-the-torpedoes intervention in financial markets. Winning over critics who have since praised his "radical" moves (including Nouriel Roubini, No. 4 on this list), he now faces an uphill battle in his bid for permanently expanded Fed powers. The radicalism is far from over.

Foreign Policy magazine declares Ben #1 of the worlds top 100 Global Thinkers for 2009. I don't think your view Doc is going to get a lot of traction with the elites.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009...global_thinkers

Number 1 in those kind of polls is usually the kiss of death.....

Archived