The Bachelorette

Fart, good thought but I have to agree with oilman & B4, its toooooo late..

Just an aside on mkt action: we've done an intraday bounce, looks like we might close flat or near. There seems to be sudden enthusiasm for the banks for some obscure reason and they have a heavy weighting in the index. Doesn't change my bearish thoughts one bit tho...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TheEnd, was listening to Bloomberg "On the Money" earlier this evening. And Charlie Pellett (sp?) had somebody by the name of George Kuhn (sp?) on as a guest. This guy is some sort of broker/planner/anal cyst out of Bucks County, PA. Didn't have a website or phone number and explicitly stated that he was not on the show to pitch anything. Very straightforward sounding guy and he said that he's been net short for the past few years. He ripped a new orifice out of the wall street shills - talked of how they showed fear at previous bottoms by allocating only 50% to stocks, and how, they're sliding down the "slope of hope" with stock allocations still averaging 65%. Very refreshing, to say the least. Also, many of the callers seemed to have reached the recognition phase - one guy talking of stagflation, another talking of selling the rallies, etc.

And of course, I caught some of JJC's radio show as well - amazing. Now I am really convinced he's god - after all he says he was the fastest gun on Wall Street... I was a little worried when he advised a caller to sell OVER - a stock I've been short a long time...

From the UK Sun (British tabloid) distributed for free in Paris yesterday...

We also think in Britain that you in France have forgotten how much you owe to other nations, particularly America and Britain, for coming to your aid in two world wars.

You were glad enough to welcome the Americans when Hitler ruled France.

But now you sneer at the American people and their president, and forget how the war cemeteries of France are packed with American and British soldiers and sailors and airmen who laid down their lives so France could be free.

Today, the Americans - backed by other European nations braver than France - are preparing again to rid the world of a tyrant.

On behalf of our ten million readers, we say to you today:

Are you not ashamed of your president?

More here if anyone is interested....

Squirm, worm!

Here's another view-

Yes, the United States and Great Britain did something right in coming to the aid of France in two world wars. However, why should France now be obligated to support them in what it believes to be wrong. Furthermore, what makes these instances similar? And what is it that makes bravery the issue?

Someone scares a thief away from my house. Does my gratitude require that I now help him rob my neighbor in order to make my gratitude real?

OK, let's say inflation takes root in the good old US of A. Do we really think that the 24% idle manufacturing capacity is just going to stay idle? or is it going to be put to work to compete-down any strength in pricing? Kind of like when you get your rear-wheel drive stuck in the snow. Every time you think you got the sucker free you slide back into the muck.

Seriously, wasn't that big jump almost entirely attributable to oil prices? This is good for the economy?

Market volume

Market Status (2/20/2003) :

Today the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 indexes moved slightly lower today, despite the supportive volume we have been seeing to the downside. Today as the indexes declined there were two moderately large supportive VMA spikes to the downside, and due to these VMA spikes we believe that the market will move slightly higher in the short-term. We are expecting the end of this correction to the upside soon (beginning of next week after tomorrow's options expiry). Next week we expect the market to continue moving in its current downtrend as any supportive volume that we have seen is not nearly enough to change the market's long-term downtrend.

OK, let's say inflation takes root in the good old US of A. Do we really think that the 24% idle manufacturing capacity is just going to stay idle? or is it going to be put to work to compete-down any strength in pricing? Kind of like when you get your rear-wheel drive stuck in the snow. Every time you think you got the sucker free you slide back into the muck.

Seriously, wasn't that big jump almost entirely attributable to oil prices? This is good for the economy?

mjkst27,

Here is the report in its entirety. You are correct that most of the increase was due to energy prices, but there were certainly other factors contributing to the rise which looked downright inflationary.

Producer Price Index News Release text

When you talk about unused capacity, you arent talking about inflation in commodity prices. If it cost $100 to buy before and now it costs $110, while your input costs rise from $80 to $90 you arent making any more than the $20 profit. Also, if the demand is not there to increase what is currently being produced at these prices, you certainly wouldnt ratchet up production when input prices are higher.

You know, I just realized that this board is REALLY long-term bearish. What's up with that? Don't you guys realize that stocks are under-valued; that now is the time to buy; that stocks always go up in the long term?

Kudlow and Cramer are veritable gods. I think we should all listen to everything they say. For example, did you know that, in the long term, stocks out-perform the next best investment by a margin of 18 Gazillion percent?

Before shorting another stock, every one of us should consider these alarming statistics:

In the past decade, at least five US military personnel have been killed by toppling vending machines onto themselves.

The average annual rainfall of the Amazon Basin is over three-hundred inches!

In a recent national multiple-choice exam, more than 50% of our nation's high school students incorrectly identified George Washington as "some kind of mollusk."

I don't know about you, but I'm convinced. I'm going to buy some stocks first thing tomorrow morning.

Archived