Astonishingly Well Run Companies

K-wave lives! And pretty well by all appearances. Your lake cabin looks a lot like mine. :lol:

sanmat6.jpg

Despite PTR's big debut, Hang Seng is down 893.

w?s=%5EHSI

Hardly took notice of the 30k level. uh huh.

post-2253-1194237105_thumb.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's funny. Suddenly the whole world is watching the Fed, and almost nobody gets it. Maybe Russ Winter, Hussman, Mish, me, and a few others. Just about everybody else not only does not understand what the Fed is doing, the vast majority thinks that it is doing the opposite of what it really is doing.

This is going to end badly I tell you. The whole world is basing its investment policy on a false premise. It's going to end badly, and suddenly.

Want a preview? Look at the charts of C and WM now, and the mortgage bankers last summer.

Sudaca is right. A lot of very big players are not going to survive. The Fed is not flooding the system with liquidity and neither are any of the other big central banks. I don't know why, and I have no clue what their game plan is and what their goal is or what the endgame is. I just know that they aren't doing what the vast majority of investors think that they are doing.

620611[/snapback]

Doc-

In stepping back to see a big picture, this whole sub-prime mortgage/ credit crisis /financial panic seems to be trending toward the "elimination" of competing, NON-Fed member credit-creating institutions, simultaneously with a consolidation of power and market share among "surviving" Fed member banks.

A ruthless game of "last bank standing" -- and the size of the pile of chips on the table is enormous.

Folks don't realize the ruthless competition amongst the big banks, and amongst the investment banks.

Bank of America's CEO had voiced his desire for BAC to become the nation's largest bank, and I think they have recently. I doubt he's shedding any tears over Citigroup's problems.

Even in normal times these guys are big, hungry sharks in a small swimming pool.

As fierce competitors, they are reluctant to open their books, lest they reveal their proprietary information and vulnerabilities, hence there is no co-operation, no transparency, no trust.

Maybe we're witnessing the ultimate reality "survivor" drama? :ph34r:

Congratulations, that is pretty amazing!

What do you feel where the most important steps in learning how to trade like that?

620537[/snapback]

1. Overcoming perfection syndrome! Cutting losses is number one key. You must keep the money working as often as possible. And sitting around on losses waiting to get even incurs huge opportunity cost.

2. Develop a system that can identify support and resistance levels, and increases and losses in price momentum.

3. Use multiple time frames to look at price action. The more time frames that line up simultaneously, the more likely the trade will work out, and be a longer lasting move. And know the time frame you are trading in! For instance, if you are trading a 5 min chart long while the longer time frames are still trending down, you give the trade a lot less rope than you would if you were trading the 5 min chart to the downside.

4. Price action tends to move in an expand & contract manner, you want to be in on the expansion part, and moving on to something else during the contractions.

5. Trade with momentum direction on pullbacks to support/resistance....but when momo fades, do not be afraid to go counter trend...the biggest, fastest moves usually come counter trend, and my methods are all about making money as fast as possible.

6. Do not be afraid to reverse your position at key pivot areas. Often times I will be completely wrong about the direction I think the market will break from a tight pre-explosion range. I have had some of my biggest winners during the last run, after initially getting stopped out for a small loss or breakeven, and immediately reversing position. Sep 18 was a classic example. I was initially leaning to the short side, but had stop and reverse orders in place on a break of the last swing high, and ended up making 30 RUT points on a large position in a day and half, after a small initial loss. I had a couple wheat trades where I did the same thing and caught some limit moves.

Hope that helps some.....

620593[/snapback]

Sure seems there are a ton of articles telling everyone to short the dollar. I have it going lower too, but all this media coverage has to make you wonder.

Of course, the consensus is right a lot more than contrarians like to admit.

620599[/snapback]

CONSIDER THE U.S. % OF GLOBAL GDP.

OR, US% OF GLOBAL TRADE FLOWS.

OR, U.S. CURRENT ACCOUNT DEFICIT.

THE REAL ECONOMY OF THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' PLANET IS LONG THE DOLLAR.

620602[/snapback]

To the tune of 8-10 TRILLION dollars. Is that a long position or is that a long position. :lol:

I called Schwab retirement services today and asked if I could have certificates for my stocks in my Roth IRA issued in the name of the firm as custodian for my IRA, i.e., "Charles Schwab and Co. custodian/FBO my name IRA." The phone rep had to get her manager for the answer. Like I expected, the answer was along the lines of "What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis."? <_<

Then of course, the rep asked my why I wanted to do this, as if there could be no possible sensible reason why anyone would ever want to do this. I told her "uh, to guard against instability in the financial markets."? :mellow: She said she didn't think this would accomplish that. :unsure: I don't think she caught my drift.

What I meant to say was "because I think your POS firm is going to be a stinking, rotting carcass within 18 months and I don't want my assets tangled up in bankruptcy receivership for the next 5 years preventing me from trading."

They offered no means to get certificates issued in the IRA and suggested it could not be done without tax consequences. So, I'm on the prowl for a broker who would be willing to have share certificates issued to them as custodian for my IRA. If any of yous stoolies could be of help here, I would be most appreciative. B)

Otherwise, I'm half-tempted to at least withdraw the principal from my Roth, which would not be taxable, and get certificates issued in my name, leaving the gains on deposit in the IRA.

620377[/snapback]

don't you think that they would at least bailout IRA's? Public would approve that.

620379[/snapback]

There is a way to have complete control of your IRA and 401k assets. You can by stock and hold certificates, trade futures and options and buy raw commodities. SInce this is the first time I have contributed, I want to see how this works then I will go into detail.

620596[/snapback]

OK, it appears that I can barely figure it out, but will go into detail. I have been working with LLC IRA's for a number of years, and will highlight where and how you can go about setting yourself up. Having followed the board for a number of years as well as the Wallstreet examiner intially, I have seen that some of you have considered taking the tax hit to liquidate your assets so that you can hold gold or silver, or have certificates issued. There is a far simpler way to have complete control of your IRA, namely you have formed a special LLC IRA. You can employ many custodians for about 50 dollars a year for IRS reporting.

Examples being www.iraresources.com. If you review there materials you will see.

I have worked with www.tsd-ira.com for about a year, and have found them economical for the setting up the operating agreement, and the state and federal filings. You can also go to www.checkbookIRa.com, and there are lots of resources to explain the process.

So in a nutshell----

You employ one of these companies, for about 1700 to 2500 dollars to set up all your documentation, then you have a custodian hold the LLC in the name of the IRA, you take the LLC documentation to your local bank--I have opened many accounts for people-- and then you have your account transfered to the new custodian and have the funds wired down to the bank account. You then can open a new account at schwab or ameritrade, in the LLC's name, and purchase whatever you wnat. THen have them issue certs in the LLC's name, and you can then physically hold assets of the IRA.

You can have any tax deffered account in this form,,, SOLOK, 401k, HSA, Roth.

You can also take that check book, and go down and buy GOLD, or silver in physical form, and open futures accounts in the LLC's name and trade futures, which is what I do.

Once I figure out how to cut and past, I will bring additional documentation, and if you want the most economical way to accomplish these things feel free to email, and I would gladly help any member of this board get setup.

I have seen the generousity of many stoolies over the last few months, especially during the tradegy all expierenced, and it is my hope that you enjoy tax-deffered trading, while haveing the availablility bear market safety.

ANd just and FYI, I would not recommend completeIRA.com.

620608[/snapback]

Thanks! :)

It's funny. Suddenly the whole world is watching the Fed, and almost nobody gets it. Maybe Russ Winter, Hussman, Mish, me, and a few others. Just about everybody else not only does not understand what the Fed is doing, the vast majority thinks that it is doing the opposite of what it really is doing.

This is going to end badly I tell you. The whole world is basing its investment policy on a false premise. It's going to end badly, and suddenly.

Want a preview? Look at the charts of C and WM now, and the mortgage bankers last summer.

Sudaca is right. A lot of very big players are not going to survive. The Fed is not flooding the system with liquidity and neither are any of the other big central banks. I don't know why, and I have no clue what their game plan is and what their goal is or what the endgame is. I just know that they aren't doing what the vast majority of investors think that they are doing.

620611[/snapback]

For want of a more intelligent and intuitive understanding o whats happening, perhaps some wild analogies might be worth submitting...

Could their machintions be something similar to what US Forestry officials do in fighting gargantuan fores fires: namely fight fire wth fire by setting "backfies"...or like the San Francisco earthquake when Army troops resorted to massive dynamiting of naborhoods preventing them from becoming pyrotechnival accelerants advancing the very fire you want to stamp out...

At this stage of the game they must have something like triage in mind and are beginning ti think of shooting the motally wounded....in order for some might live a great many others must die:The sooner the better.....

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: Surely someone with a finacial imagination can attach these notions to some barely discernible outline of whats coming down the pike...

Gawd, the friggin' Iggles are a disaster to try to pick in my football pool....

620600[/snapback]

Jimi

I dont follow football very closely anymore but I did catch a portion of the Pats and Clolts contest--

Please tell me if you dont agree thta Addia the running back isn't a freak of nature.... on one play in the early part of the game he did some juking which was like breaking the sound barrier.

When he moved to the right or left it was as if he were spring- loaded with some mechanical device that permitted him to create vectors of movement that defied various laws of physics...

I fear for his legs and predict he will be gone within three years...Lets see; at an annual salary equal to his current pigskin contributions I would say a three year career should net him about 300 million dollars...

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: Pure Gold

Sure seems there are a ton of articles telling everyone to short the dollar. I have it going lower too, but all this media coverage has to make you wonder.

Of course, the consensus is right a lot more than contrarians like to admit.

620599[/snapback]

CONSIDER THE U.S. % OF GLOBAL GDP.

OR, US% OF GLOBAL TRADE FLOWS.

OR, U.S. CURRENT ACCOUNT DEFICIT.

THE REAL ECONOMY OF THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' PLANET IS LONG THE DOLLAR.

620602[/snapback]

To the tune of 8-10 TRILLION dollars. Is that a long position or is that a long position. :lol:

620629[/snapback]

OK, but what about all those foreigners who bought US dollar denominated financial ASSets and borrowed the dollars to purchase it. How many trillions is that?

What happens when their investment stops paying interest, drops in value, and they get a margin call. That margin call has to be met with dollars. But say you're Japanese or German, or, gulp, Canadian, and the only assets you can sell are denominated in yen or Euro or CAD. So you have to sell something in your own currency to buy the dollars that you will need to meet your margin call.

Oops. Short squeeze. Suddenly, every currency in the world falls sharply against the dollar, and because there's a dollar shortage, US interest rates soar.

Nightmare scenario.

Possible?

DOCS DOLLAR CHART - WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Doc

Suggests US dollar counter rally shortly.

Going long the US dollar phsycotoxologically difficult

Which suggests its a good trade

The best trades are often the phsycologically most difficult.

I know - I went long a manufacturer of asbestos products - after someone won a court case against it - and the stock tanked - made out like a bandit.

It wasnt easy to do that.

Its now called Rinker.

Archived