B4 the Bell Weakend Round Table

Guest yobob1

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wal-Mart sales gains off from year ago

By CBS MarketWatch

Last Update: 10:52 AM ET Oct. 2, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Sales gains in the past week at Wal-Mart Stores fell well short of a year-ago, the company said Saturday. For the month, sales were at the bottom of the chain's forecast range.

Customer traffic was down in the week ending Oct. 1, Wal-Mart said, though the average purchase was above the year-ago comparison.

The world's largest retailer said the five-week sales period ending Friday showed a preliminary comparable store sales increases of 2.3 percent, the low end of the previously forecast 2 to 4 percent range. Comparable sales measure results from stores open at least a year. Still, the results are an improvement from the August same-store increase of 0.5 percent.

=====================

Business - Reuters

Wal-Mart's Sept. Sales Up 2.3 Percent

2 hours, 36 minutes ago

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) on Saturday said sales at stores open at least a year rose 2.3 percent for September, near the low end of expectations, according to its preliminary tally.

The world's largest retailer had forecast a same-store sales increase of 2 percent to 4 percent for the five weeks ended Friday.

Wal-Mart said the sales were an estimate and subject to change due to accounting reconciliations conducted after the period end.

Trader- I agree with Peak you should make the trek to Canada Eh! and open an account up here. Exchange controls will soon be implemented NOT allowing you to do that. Plus you will be limited in the amount of $ you can take with you on any international trip. As I have said before once you have cash in Canada and a Visa card from said Bank then your neighborhood ATM is your Bank. As to metal you can buy and sell Gold directly in Canada thru the Bank of Nova Scotia and they will store it for you for a very nominal fee plus it is then free from consfication. ;)

Trader- I agree with Peak you should make the trek to Canada Eh! and open an account up here.  Exchange controls will soon be implemented NOT allowing you to do that.  Plus you will be limited in the amount of $ you can take with you on any international trip.  As I have said before once you have cash in Canada and a Visa card from said Bank then your neighborhood ATM is your Bank.  As to metal you can buy and sell Gold directly in Canada thru  the Bank of Nova Scotia and they will store it for you for a very nominal fee plus it is then free from consfication. ;)

Brian you obviously have a lot more faith in the Canadian government than I do in the USA. I think it's a gd shame. Things have changed a lot down here the last forty years and not for the better. :o

Yesterdays ramp job as unpleasant as it was is NOT a breakout, far from it-it is still 300 points and change below the previous high. Plus do not forget we are now in October and the historical odds favor the BEARS not the Bullz. Two large Astro events occur this month Oct.13th is a solar eclipse with Mercury square Saturn and Oct.28 is a lunar eclipse are they market friendly NO! are they crash oriented-YES!

Guest Icky Twerp
Plunger - re the shutdowns of last week - call Spitzer.

Call Spitzer and tell him what?

That the US Treasury Department - under the direction of Alan Greenspan - is doing an excellent job at preventing a stock market crash?

Who could possibly be opposed to that?

yuh. . .

Phone Poll of my fantasy:

"Do you feel it is ok to torture terrorists to prevent future attacks?"

"Do you feel it is ok to manipulate stock prices to prevent a stock market crash?"

Who is going to object? Just a bunch hide-bound malcontents -- like stoolies. . .

But frankly, it's better and easier, just to, you know, Do It, and ask for forgiveness rather than permission. . .you know, "take responsibility" without any consequences for actions "taken in good faith".

Taking the vast majority of your armed infantry and placing it in an indefensible position in the center of a country with borders open to the Arab world - then demonizing the local population while systematically destroying any possibility for goodwill - while simultaneously encouraging your enemies to "Bring It On"...

That's a sign of stupidity...not strength.

If Mayhem was the original goal...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Perfect Example:

Kasim said he returned to Fallujah six months ago and said he had taken part in a raid on a US convoy.

"I am born in Iraq and I should fight with my tribe. I cannot see my town under siege and destroyed so I came from the UK to Iraq to fight.

"I was crying every night when I saw the news. I will go back to my family when the occupation ends and Iraq gets its freedom."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...xportaltop.html

There have been a series of aricles in European and Asian papers in the past week stating flatly that Saudi has told the U.S. to piss off and get their Oil somewhere else. I pointed out sometime ago that the Saudi's had signed a security agreement with China that now guarantee's their protection. Oil Sales to the U.S. have dropped like a stone as Oil is diverted to China. Now none of these articles have made into the U.S. press-Gee I wonder why. Well George Ure over at urban Survival has done a good job of collating them all. Go to his site and click daily update and read and weep! ;)

There have been a series of aricles in European and Asian papers in the past week stating flatly that Saudi has told the U.S. to piss off and get their Oil somewhere else. I pointed out sometime ago that the Saudi's had signed a security agreement with China that now guarantee's their protection. Oil Sales to the U.S. have dropped like a stone as Oil is diverted to China. Now none of these articles have made into the U.S. press-Gee I wonder why. Well George Ure over at urban Survival has done a good job of collating them all. Go to his site and click daily update and read and weep! ;)

Wow!

So that's what China is going to do with all of those spare USD before they become worthless...just buy-up the remaining oil/gas/lumber and other resources right now.

So that's what China is going to do with all of those spare USD before they become worthless...just buy-up the remaining oil/gas/lumber and other resources right now.

I was just reading Dan Denning's "Strategic Report" for Sept. In it he talks about about China quietly setting up bi-lateral trade agreements to tie up the natural resources.

They have them with Brazil for the ores, Malaysia for Palm oil etc. It was only a matter of time before they locked down energies. Thewy have severe energy cpacaity shortfall. Liquidating their $ reserves on commodities is a sound move.

The China story with the 'Rabs is also simple marketing. If you have a customer who you don't like and pushes you around, when another nicer one comes around you tell the bolshie one to take their business elsewhere.

This will be Bush's legacy of testosterone diplomacy.

For oil plays, I like what I see with IVAN and PKZ.

Yesterday Oil closed on NYMEX for the first time ever over fifty bucks and today I read a news article where the G-7 now the Gang of of 8 with China is "urging producing Countries to increase volume to bring down price." We all know there is no way volume can increase yet they go on to bleat "we still assume that prices will come down in the near term." The only thing that will come down is the value of the U.S. $ which will soon be known as the Peso. The G-7 meeting is simply about setting up a controlled devaluation rather than a panicked market one. This means that the American consumer is about to get reamed. The greatest CONSUMING society on the face of the Earth is going to PAY much more for imported goods and virtually everything IS imported. It means much more than inflation, it means the Economy is about to get hit with a Mack Truck. Now is the time to buy the Loonie, or Ozzie or Swiss currencies and add to Gold and Silver.

word!

Archived