Valentine's Day Ultimatum

I can remember watching a documentary on the bust of Japan, and they had TV game shows that featured people who had staggering levels of debt as the contestants.

Maybe this cyber begging is the beginning of a new breed of reality TV - vote to keep people on the show by making donations to their debt.

:shocked

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! Them stockmonitor people stoked my stoolastics!

Anyway, here is the anonymous chart which I posted earlier. (With the length of this thread, it seems to be much earlier. lol

The first posted chart was a 'mirror' image of the COMPX. However, it might as well have been, any stock market index - to paraphrase Mark, "All charts look exactly like AMAT." Tanks to all who responded, and kudos to those who immediately saw it for what it was.

It can often be useful to flip a chart around and see it from the other point-of-view.

Regards, Nano.

post-7-1045533043_thumb.gif

Pretzl, well, Merlin's had a rough two weeks in the eyes of this observer, which makes him think maybe he's due. When he's hot he's HOT - the markets have some weeks uncannily tracked his projections.

what's THIS??? why HRFF is nearly APOPLECTIC!!!

HORRORS!!! someone added an "S" to Gibbon's name!!!

SHAME, knave! SHAME!!!

Edward Gibbon (no "s") is the most HALLOWED of HISSSStorians. PERIOD!

or so thinx HRFF! LOLOL

just kidding around nano. say! did you get continually reFURred to in....MORK AND MINDY??? LOLOL wasn't it nano-nano?

Gibbon talks of plague...no part of the Empire was spared, he says. Entire towns were depopulated. The population of one of the world's largest cities at the time, was, per verifiable records, he claims, halved. It took fifteen years to exhaust itself.

And we only hear of the Black Death today...

Not an exciting day here....most stocks edging up and the volume is higher than yesterday. Nikkei and Singers down but our market not taking the hint. After I sifted thru the charts yesterday I was thinking stocks that closed on resistance would turn down today but they've moved up to the next line of resistance albeit without huge enthusiasm. However the day is young...

with all of the snow shoveling and other extraneous activities, i just caught up.

thet advantage of running so far behind is that you do not have to read all of the posts that DOC has deleted. oh well.

options discussion:

this week i closed for profit the mar puts and on the bounce opened aprils to take their place. one of the secrets of options is remembering the time value and how it deteriorates. it looked like we were dragging a little, as per doc and others and i said, you know, i would feel better holding aprils versus march's.

i am learning that this market is taking a lot longer to move down than we would all like or think it should. if i had any money left, i would play some of the screamers in the feb options starting on wed. i am paper trading expe feb 60 puts just for giggles this week. should give me 2-300% but i just would not close an index put to carry it. this is not for the new options player and playing this last week of opex like this is so close to gambling there is a pointer in the dictionary to trading options in opex under the 4th definition of gambling.

i agree, if you do not know options, learn by paper trading a lot before you really play with them. if you can't win 7 out of your last 10, keep paper trading.

to play options in this whipsaw market, since may 02, you have to take the profit when it shows up and reload often. i used to pick and hold for 200% profit in a trending market, but not more, the long trends are gone for now.

do not trade options unless you know and have practiced a lot. if you want to play without the proper education, just send doc or me the money.

Many of my patients work on the line in various automotive plants. I see them for work related repetitive hand injuries. A significant number of them that I see are now on down time which is not being widely publicized by the auto or autoparts manufacturers or the unions for that matter. They are not sure how long this is going to last but are very nervous wrt their future.

I tend to see this in spurts. ie, these workers try to get onto Workers Compensation prior to the plant being shut down. Comp pays 80% of their salary as opposed to a union paycheck which is minimal at best and has a time limit.

I don't blame them particularly. They are battening down the hatches, minimizing their debt and watching their spending. Everyone has to put food on the table but it is a little disconcerting to see them lined up at the office door. These people do not have fancy degrees but are seeing something in the ecnonomy that the smooth talking analcysts refuse to divulge...

Torah Man:

Glad to see you re-emerge. I was hoping you would show up Sunday morning to calm us down. Its been a wild, emotional, weekend.

You made a great point. There are no more long term trending markets. Not as long as 3000 leveraged HedgeHogs are all reading the same charts, gaming the same info, causing the Keno Table to tilt wildly from one side to another.

Where is Short 'em High?? Would like to hear his take....

I can remember watching a documentary on the bust of Japan, and they had TV game shows that featured people who had staggering levels of debt as the contestants.

Maybe this cyber begging is the beginning of a new breed of reality TV - vote to keep people on the show by making donations to their debt.

:shocked

When I was a kid there used to be a "game" show on during the day, if you could call it that, called Queen For A Day where three women would compete for prizes. The way the game worked was the women would each tell their life story. The the audience would vote via an "applause meter" which woman had the lousiest life and she would win the refrigerator, T.V. and other prizes.

I bet, within the next couple of years, some network is going to do a variation on that show in primetime and it's going to be the hottest show like "Survivor" and the other "reality" shows are now.

If you want a preview of Detroit's future just drive up the Upper Ohio River Valley... through the dying towns and rusting industrial complexes. Weirton, Wheeling, Steubenville, Youngstown, etc. It's slow strangulation or death by a thousand job? cuts.

FORD is laboring under CRUSHING debt. Auto's are supposed to drive 1 out of 7 some say 1 of 5 jobs in America.

Torah, presumably you were shoveling SNOW and SNOT something else? LOLOL

good grief! "Queen For A Day"??? that DATES this participant.

all those overweight ladies from blue collar neighborhoods like Chicago's South Side with their tear-jerking stories! Then they would win prizes like a refrigerator, etc. Was Linkletter the host of that?

what's THIS??? why HRFF is nearly APOPLECTIC!!!

HORRORS!!! someone added an "S" to Gibbon's name!!!

SHAME, knave! SHAME!!!

Edward Gibbon (no "s") is the most HALLOWED of HISSSStorians. PERIOD!

or so thinx HRFF! LOLOL

just kidding around nano. say! did you get continually reFURred to in....MORK AND MINDY??? LOLOL wasn't it nano-nano?

Gibbon talks of plague...no part of the Empire was spared, he says. Entire towns were depopulated. The population of one of the world's largest cities at the time, was, per verifiable records, he claims, halved. It took fifteen years to exhaust itself.

And we only hear of the Black Death today...

Apologies BARE - I'd hate to a make anyone apoplectic - heck, I can hardly even spell it! ;) It was a mere slip of the possessive apostrophe... even 'bots' have bugs! lol

BTW, the origin of the word 'quack' which is often used, today, to refer to a doctor, originated during the Black Death. The docs of that period used to wear enormous beak-like 'helmets'. The helms were filled with various herbs and spices, and the docs believed that the herbiage would ward off the contagion. If you would like something to ponder upon... how come docs n nurses seldom contract the diseases that their patients suffer from? I do, of course, include our very own ILLUSTRIOUS Doc in this statement!

Nano-nano, Nanobody. lol

P.S. All gibbons look alike to me :P

HyperT's 14.5 month prognosis may prove too conservative; the debt-fix disease runs epidemic among clueless genXYers, latest case in point:

http://hometown.aol.com/slaythebeast/index.html

Maybe the government should try a web site to take donations for reducing the national debt.

According to the "Financial Report of the United States Government (2001)"

The comptroller general reports; without certification ( the compltroller's letter declines to render an opinion on our financial condition, for the 5th year in a row, because of inadequacies of government accouting.):

1. Federal Assets- 926B

2. Federal Liab.- 7,385B (includes 3,320B of publicly held debt)

3. Net Worth- (6,459B)

Not included in the above, but footnoted (enron style?), an additional 4,207B of social security and 12,814B of medicare unfunded liabilities. :shocked

In a year when debt held by the public fell 90.1B, "intragovernmental :blink: " debt climbed 231.1B and government net worth fell 513.4B from 2000.

The full report is at http://www.fms.treas.gov/fr

Yikes, Hyper may be right. :ph34r:

BW

"The BARE hASS long posited that the words 'mutual fund' will come to be two of the most vilified in the mind of the public."

Actually, 'mutual fund' was cooked up in the 1950s to replace the disgraced term 'investment trust' from the 1930s. After a watered-stock utility trust underwritten by Goldman Sucks collapsed in the 1930s, noboby wanted to hear about 'investment trusts' anymore. The term is still used in Britain, though.

Say, Mr. BARE. If you think up and trademark the next euphemism FUR investment trusts / mutual funds, you can retire to enjoy your millions in royalties. Then you won't have to ride the roller coaster with Merlin and Arch anymore. That's for the birds anyway.

Winter storm paralyzes much of East Coast

U.S. government offices, closed Monday for the Presidents Day holiday, will be shut down in the nation's capital again Tuesday because of the foot and a half of snow that blanketed the Washington area. Emergency services will be operating.

Does anyone know if this means no Fed "Feed" operations tomorrow? Or does that qualify as "Emergency services"? :blink:

Archived