like sitting in front row listening to fat lady sing,

then, before you can move, she slips and falls off stage

oh my

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great piece of art, The Prisoner.

:lol:

With its depiction of ubiquitous surveillance, a slogan-manipulated populace, a prison camp disguised as a planned resort community, and a sham benevolent authority intent on making sure that no one had a private thought in his head, it was, some think, a parable for our times.

I think that "The Matrix" was closer to the mark.

Yes...but give them their due....The Matrix -had- The Prisoner, plus 30 years more 'progress' to examine, to base their piece on.

Prisoner made their projection in 1965 or whatever. Pretty damn good projection, considering, eh? :D

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

It was pretty good.

They had a lot of dystopian literature from which they could (and, I suspect, did) draw some inspiration:  Kafka, Orwell, Huxley, and Zamyatin.

There was more thought put into it than the garbage they show nowadays.

god, yes.... a hundred times yes.

...or than the garbage they showed back then, too! :lol:

By the authority vested in me, as Chief of Stock Proctology, whereby being so requested by the right honorable Jimi, who whereby and wherefore having entered into a gentlemen's wager with the right honorable machinehead, and whereby said wager was in the amount of $50, payable to one Dr. Stool, and whereby the terms of said wager were with regard to the price of oil at the end of November, whereby if said price were above $40 at the aforesaid date, the aforesaid Jimi, having lost said wager with the aforesaid machinehead, would therefore pay said wager to the aforesaid Dr. Stool,

Now therefore, Dr. Stool hereby acknowledges the receipt of $50 cash US fiat money from the aforesaid Jimi, whereupon the right honorable Jimi shall remain in good standing with the right honorable machinehead as having met the terms of said, aforesaid, wager.

So noted at the request of the petitioner, the aforesaid Jimi, by the aforesaid beneficiary, upon request of the aforesaid petitioner of the agreement, the undersinged Dr. Stepan N. Stool, said undersinging as a result of lack of sufficient heat, this twelfth day of December, Two Thousand and Four of the Common Era. 

Stepan N. Stool

Undersinged by the power so vested

Amen

Jimi was most gentlemanly about settling the bet ... I'll send a contribution too ... after all, it's not about making money ... it's about BRAGGING RIGHTS. :lol:

It brings back old memories of the first bet with the BAREister. He was badmouthing gold -- as usual -- and insisted it would fall back below $300 (yes, three hundred -- it had just broken out past $300). I said no, gold is going nowhere but north. After three months, it was up to $330 or so.

I still feel that way ... gold going nowhere but north. C'mon BARE ... stop lurking out there ... let's have a little wager. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the notification, Doc. And the kind words, MH. I agree fully: it is about bragging rights, and you got 'em.

But I'll scheme a future wager to fleece you of 'em!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha Riverboaters!!!

Attn: Soup..........

Hey Brah... , I'll give you my answer.  When AMZN was printing $400, it was clear that the entire Nasdaq was in a massive blowoff mode.  The market was discounting nothing but a speculative hysteria combined with epic short squeezes.

So far, all the indexes are acting normally, rising in an orderly manner, including the HGX.

Wndy,

WTF is unclear about this being a blowoff? Just curious...

It also certainly no longer looks orderly...

You gotta watch the leaders at the turns...don't ever forget that...

That doesn't mean it couldn't run just a bit more, but with everthing else in place, I'm willing to bet that Friday was just about the top for the HomeBubblers..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that this stock has a P/E of about 12. Certainly the parabolic rise we have seen is not sustainable and some sort of correction and consolidation is in order.

Perhaps, however, folks just might be starting to conclude that reports of the demise of housing might have been a bit premature.

Top 'til you drop!

I'll be watching the semis too....

If da boyz can pump those up for another round of fleecing, then the whole tech market might melt up. They looked a little under the weather on Friday tho...

I'm not sure I see the homebubblers as so easy to pump up another notch....but since it's not people trading, but herds of fumbles and hedgehogs, I suppose they'd rather play the usual game, than anything new and different :P

It was pretty good.

They had a lot of dystopian literature from which they could (and, I suspect, did) draw some inspiration:? Kafka, Orwell, Huxley, and Zamyatin.

A candid admission from all of you--Who here at some point in his life did not attend movies so undistinguished that they fit the catagory of Garbage?

I dont mean attend them by accident but because of some perverse extension of adolescent aesthetics you and your pals would purposely go out of your way to see some cinema so bad it was almost ungodly??

I did nad we called ourselves the rotten flm club---and the reason we went was to laugh at all the kitzchy scenes,usually in a movie with productin values were so bad you couldn't believe they were ever made by earthlings

One case in point was a gangster film (Prettty Boy Floyd???Baby Face Nelson???) where a scene of the protagonist shortly after he had a fist fight exhibited his wound,to his eye no less,by portraying the injured eye with so help me G*d a raised ring around the orb as big as a Bagel--

So ludicrous was the sight that I began to laugh and laugh andlaugh until i fell on the theatre floor under some seats and I began to almost DIE OF LAUGHTER--tHE IDIom isn't merely a poetic metaphor poetry I promise you--I felt myself literally choking to death or drowning as if the producers of th emovie were getting their revenge=the combimation of amusement and almost dying at the same time has i'm sure been experienced by at lest one or two of you

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: G*d works in mysterious ways--he I'm sure was instriumental in making the producer mae the movei

===Hey BD ya wise punk--wipe that look of terror off your face-ya hear?

It was pretty good.

They had a lot of dystopian literature from which they could (and, I suspect, did) draw some inspiration:? Kafka, Orwell, Huxley, and Zamyatin.

A candid admission from all of you--Who here at some point in his life did not attend movies so undistinguished that they fit the catagory of Garbage?

I dont mean attend them by accident but because of some perverse extension of adolescent aesthetics you and your pals would purposely go out of your way to see some cinema so bad it was almost ungodly??

I did nad we called ourselves the rotten flm club---

Stinkers

20. Ishtar

19. Barb Wire

18 Godzilla (1998)

17. Anaconda

16. Stop or My Mom Will Shoot

15. Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls

14. The Avengers

13. Grease 2

12. The "Look Who's Talking" Sequels

11. Jaws 4: The Revenge

10. Waterworld

9. The Blair Witch Project

8. Showgirls

7. It's Pat

6. Speed 2: Cruise Control

5. Spice World

4. Howard The Duck

3. Batman & Robin

2. Wild Wild West

1. Battlefield Earth

George Lucas did "Howard the Duck", which makes it even more amazingly bad. The only other ones I've actually seen are 10 and 2.

One more piece on sentiment before this thread is closed:

When your indicators stop working

By Leigh Stevens

Indicators are like cars - once in a while they stop working. When the key indicators I use suggest a correction to the trend is likely, but it doesn't happen, there are some things that I've learned about these occurrences.

Market/Index indicators dealing with volume, sentiment, overbought/Dover Sole, advance-decline, TRIN, volatility, etc. are always SECONDARY indicators. Moreover, indicators flashing divergences and warnings on overbought/Dover Sole conditions can also LAG what eventually happens to the trend by a longer than usual time. Hey, if everything worked like clockwork all the time, it wouldn't be human and the market is a human institution.

http://www.optioninvestor.com/traderscorner/tc_120904_1.asp

Archived