Trend reversal

This could be The End's cue, no bang, no whimper...just the buzz of forex $ digits going down.

This is the end

The feevish-knocking end, my friend

No mo' forex for you to spend

The tens duration doth portend

No more big boobs the bras suspend

Where is the Fat Lady's last...

Later. I'm doin' the 'whee' thing on the forex. :P

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta Laugh- $ slaughter city-Folks ya keep the faith ya get rewarded- got Roddie and Eric unplugged blasting away in the background-Yep I know Big Wave Viv and i are showing our AGE but hey where ARE the new HERO's there aren't any! Kinda says it all don't it-Trade safe!

One out of 10 jobs in the US computer services and software industry could shift to lower-cost emerging markets such as India or Russia by the end of 2004, a top computer consultancy said on Tuesday.

Gartner Inc, the world's biggest hi-tech forecasting firm, said in a report entitled "US Offshore Outsourcing: Structural Changes, Big Impact" that 500,000 of the 10.3 million US technology jobs could move just in 2003 and 2004.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/2003/Jul/30/...324376,0003.htm

I used to have real-time access to Gartner stuff when I was an IT consultant, for Unisys, NL yerpean distribution centre back in the 90's, and I thought they were very good. Gartner not Unisys ;)

Was at a BBQ last night with an old friend who happens to be the out-sourcing director for Proximus, Belgium (mobile telephony co). He said they currently have about 350 EU IT contractors working for them... plan is to replace 200+ of the EU types with Indian and Filipino within 12 months. 3M is doing the same, here in Brussels.

The trend towards using Indian and other talents is by no means a USA-only phenomenon.

When we get ADR IPOs for these developing-nations outsourcing companies on the merkin stk mkt, it will make de Asian Screamers look like Bethlehem Steel, imo. lol

success!

gruff.

When we get ADR IPOs for these developing-nations outsourcing companies on the merkin stk mkt, it will make de Asian Screamers look like Bethlehem Steel, imo. lol

Gruff - Great background! Always gotta go for the silver lining. Some of the Indian horses are already out of the gate:

WIT - Wipro, NYSE

INFY - Infosys, NASDAQ

and thanks for the gruff-o-meter on IDS. I'll be glued to it Monday!

Congress will find it difficult to pass protectionist legislation on computer code. On the bright side, there is much more money in developing innovative gadgetry than in programming the increasingly modularized code by which they function.

The USA remains the marketplace of choice for commercializing nearly every innovation coming down the pike. Indians will find less and less code work over time. It is not a growth industry. India will get the jobs that would inevitably be lost by "progress".

As far as the human- telephone interface, voice rec will replace many of these jobs, at even lower cost.

China and PacRim is different, and a much greater worry. The Chinese have a deeply ingrained sense of enterprise which India does not, in general, have (many of the enterprising Indians have moved to the US and Canada; some are good friends of mine).

As other Stoolies have mentioned, the best thing Americans can do to prepare for the future is to learn Mandarin Chinese.

I'll add to that. However, I doubt it is the leading edge of software that is being offloaded. May sound calous but probably the "back end" or commodity knowledge jobs.

I say this as from my work in Semiconductors, the aspect that gets moved around to cheaper countries is the back end of assembly and test. (ie/ saw up individual silicon from circular wafer, mount it into a package to take it to pins and test it). This is labor cost sensitive but low tech. Engineering support and direction is given to them. They just implement it and employ armies of operators at a low wage relative to US.

The leading edge technology of semiconductor is in the wafer fabrication and is highly knowledge intensive . Same goes for design, product engineering and marketing. These are not subject to same offloading pressures if a brand new device.

There are considerable barriers of entry to new tech: To develop and bring up a new wafer fab with leading edge technology incorporating latest geometries is 2 to 3 years. This will also cost ~$3 billion a pop. This is not counting the learning curves you have to go through to fine tweak designs which relies on experienced engineers. In your way is a Patent minefield.

As I see it a core of "high tech" types of jobs will stay in the US as they are insensitve to wage costs. You cannot spend billions of fab yet penny pinch on wages of relatively few key engineers. You need that fab to start contributing to cash flow ASAP.

US govt also will put up barriers to technology transfer. It will take a while for China or India to take these types of jobs.

Gruffy-I din't realize you were from BELGIUM are you Flemish or Waloon??  Trade Safe!

Bri,

Nottin so exotic, I'm afraid :(

I'm an expat Brit who has lived on-and-off in Brussels / Holland for past 13 yrs B)

I'm checking cost of flights to NYC for de forthcoming NYCASS meeting. If I can make it, then I'm sure ye can! :rolleyes:

Looks like de flights are 1/3rd of price if I fly out of Schipol, Amsterdam. Wonder if OY and/or TheBrownOne would like to come along too?

Bri, hope to see ye in NYC! Just do it! LOL

I'm hoping TE will treat me to a 'pastrami on rye'. I've no idea what it is, butt I've heard it mentioned a gazillion times in merkin TV programmes and films. I have a cast-iron constitution and can eat, just about, anything B) Ofkorse, I'll buy a few beers in return :)

success!

gruff

wooooowza....fire up the pits....I have a very sick feeling in my stomach about tomorrow and Im a BEAR.....We could have a Black Monday on our hands in short

time...expecting a sea of red tomorrow..where will it end? Probably pulling Sodamn out of the freezer as I type.....15 strong going in ...trade safe

Archived