IDS World Markets Fri 19th October 07

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just called beardrech. He's ok, but his computer died.

He expects to have a new one next week and will be rejoining us when he will write something in David's memory, as only beardrech can in his inimitable way.

It didn't take long for the bailout to need a bailout. :ph34r:

October 19, 2007

Market Place

Banks? Plan to Help May Itself Need Help

By ERIC DASH and GRETCHEN MORGENSON

Does the rescue plan for the credit markets need to be saved?

The plan is still being developed, but the roughly $75 billion effort to snap up troubled securities is struggling to get off the ground, days after it was disclosed by the country?s three biggest banks with the support of the Treasury Department.

Citigroup, Bank of America, and JPMorgan Chase back the plan but are just beginning to hammer out the details. Bank regulators are aware of the discussions but some say they are out of the loop. And market participants are puzzled, with investors like Pimco and T. Rowe Price balking at buying in.

Yesterday, Citigroup executives said separately that they bought some time by securing $80 billion in financing through the end of the year. That provides some relief because Citigroup can avoid a fire sale of assets at distressed prices, but it is not a long-term solution for the bank or the industry. A greater amount of backup financing is needed.

The Treasury-supported proposal for the industry, however, provides a framework for a new fund to purchase assets held by structured investment vehicles, or S.I.V.?s, that have been pressured since the credit market meltdown this summer. It is intended to help the banks backing such vehicles avoid bringing those risky loans onto their balance sheets and to spare investors ? including money market funds ? distress.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/19/business...agewanted=print

A friend asked me yesterday why I unloaded some more gold bullion (now totalling 50% of my bullion holdings, most of which I bought when gold had a 3 handle.

Kitco ask for a 1 oz. Eagle is $811. Made up my mind a long time ago that 800 would be an unloading area for me, as was 580ish a while back.

Not selling any silver, BTW.

I personally do not like Sinclair, but his strategy of partial sales at historic resistance areas has worked well for me.

Archived