I Got My Per Trade Cost Down To $19.95

So, I have a few pet stocks and my total worth couldn't buy a fully decked out SUV, even I see debt on the edge of the ocean. I would like to protect some profit in a VanGFund but where do I move it without having the gain taxed this year? It could sit for 6 months or so and then I could move it back in(?).

I would like to see a step by step example of short selling where it turned profit.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I have a few pet stocks and my total worth couldn't buy a fully decked out SUV, even I see debt on the edge of the ocean. I would like to protect some profit in a VanGFund but where do I move it without having the gain taxed this year? It could sit for 6 months or so and then I could move it back in(?).

I would like to see a step by step example of short selling where it turned profit.

you accidently entered this on the test out the board forum. not a real forum. look under the first link, stool pigeons wire, and select LOB for look out below.

anoscope

There are on-line brokers out there with much lower commissions than $19 per trade. Actually, that's kind of high.

Before you even think of short selling, read several books about it, and try a few paper trades. Follow this board for a few months, and you will learn a great deal. There are dozens of examples of people shorting something each day.

$19 might be cheap if Whadda lives in another country than Grand Central U.S. of A. Most commissions here in Canada are over $25 EACH way! Lesser numbers of willing gamers due to a much smaller population requires a higher commission for the borkers to have a profit margin. One good thing though is the ability to short at ONE DOLLAR instead of five dollars. Opens up a whole new world of accesible CRAP, like the crap to be kicked out of the Nasquack 100 at the end of the year. Slam all the candidates!

Tech names that will likely be deleted from the index include Applied Micro Circuits (AMCC), Atmel Corp. (ATML), Brocade Communications (BRCD), Gemstar-TV Guide (GMSTE), and i2 Technologies (ITWO), the firm said.

Best thing to do Whammo is lurk here at the Stool, all over the board, and a subscription to Doc's Anals is HIGHLY recomended. CHEAP TOO!!!! :grin: Become familiar with the game and develop confidence. By that time we'll be seriously Dover Sole and it will be time to go long for another bear market rally. C'est la vie!

I think I gotta go with Jackie Mason, star of "Prune Danish" on Broadway, who made a brief guest appearance on Proctovision doing a bit of his act. I'll quote him:

"Stockborkers are people who couldn't get a job doing anything else! Economists? At least they went to school to get a diploma that SAYS they don't know crap!" :grin:

I think I gotta go with Jackie Mason, star of "Prune Danish" on Broadway, who made a brief guest appearance on Proctovision doing a bit of his act. I'll quote him:

"Stockborkers are people who couldn't get a job doing anything else! Economists? At least they went to school to get a diploma that SAYS they don't know crap!" :grin:

the end and doc, this thread got crossed up in the move. unrelated posts in the thread that look like a post that goes somewhere else??

also, doc, no indication after the thread was moved that it 'was moved' or did I over look it in its current forum?

I guess I'll be reading/studying for awhile. The Anals will come later.

USAA is no fly by night company when it comes to brokerage. The more I trade the lower the price per trade. Guess I'll have to play beat the price, just in case.

It will be interesting to see how a buck is made in shorting.

I like a penny stock ISON long, small company has a couple PHDs, a phone and a filing cabinet with a couple rights to IP in it that should jive with homeland security over time.

Tanks to all for the helpful hints.

))The posters with issues should start their own threads.((

danger will robinson, danger.

when i started, we were instructed not to even open a trading account till we had learned a method of trading and had paper traded it to win at least seven out of 10 trades. then we could open an account and play for real.

plan the trade and trade the plan. if you want to start trading with the level of experience you have displayed by the question, you could save yourself some trouble and just send me the money. my friends call me cash.

after you have learned a method or strategy, tons out there, including listening here, then you should paper trade. the commission is the least of your problems. it matters more what features you get with the account.

shorting and limits on trades. options, if you dare. stop limits on both trades an options. etc.

also you care about streaming capabilities and maybe more advanced stuff.

if you are trading thousands in one move, does 19 or 9 per trade really make a difference????

you also did not say if this is a 401k, rollover ira, or regular trading account. this would make a difference. if hav ea regular trading account with datek, now ameritrade. i also have an ira with fidelity. i trade options mostly with some covered call work also. fidelity will let me trade options in my ira, datek will not.

fidelity charges a lot more per trade that datek.

some brokerages take a flat fee for the year and give you unlimited trades.

learn what you want to trade and how you are going to do it.

if you are worried about missing something, then if you think it is going down, put the money in a bearx fund, if you think it is going up, put it in a sp500 fund.

or better yet, leave it in cash till get the knowledge to help you increase it and not lose it all.

like i said though, if you want to play before you are ready, just send it to me and i will not charge you any commission to take the money off of your hands. i will even let you know what i buy with it and maybe send a picture or two. :grin:

danger will robinson, danger.

when i started, we were instructed not to even open a trading account till we had learned a method of trading and had paper traded it to win at least seven out of 10 trades. then we could open an account and play for real.

plan the trade and trade the plan. if you want to start trading with the level of experience you have displayed by the question, you could save yourself some trouble and just send me the money. my friends call me cash.

after you have learned a method or strategy, tons out there, including listening here, then you should paper trade. the commission is the least of your problems. it matters more what features you get with the account.

shorting and limits on trades. options, if you dare. stop limits on both trades an options. etc.

also you care about streaming capabilities and maybe more advanced stuff.

if you are trading thousands in one move, does 19 or 9 per trade really make a difference????

you also did not say if this is a 401k, rollover ira, or regular trading account. this would make a difference. if hav ea regular trading account with datek, now ameritrade. i also have an ira with fidelity. i trade options mostly with some covered call work also. fidelity will let me trade options in my ira, datek will not.

fidelity charges a lot more per trade that datek.

some brokerages take a flat fee for the year and give you unlimited trades.

learn what you want to trade and how you are going to do it.

if you are worried about missing something, then if you think it is going down, put the money in a bearx fund, if you think it is going up, put it in a sp500 fund.

or better yet, leave it in cash till get the knowledge to help you increase it and not lose it all.

like i said though, if you want to play before you are ready, just send it to me and i will not charge you any commission to take the money off of your hands. i will even let you know what i buy with it and maybe send a picture or two. :grin:

like i said though, if you want to play before you are ready, just send it to me and i will not charge you any commission to take the money off of your hands. i will even let you know what i buy with it and maybe send a picture or two.

Speaking of 401K funds, Principal Financial Group with a large stake in workers money, sure knows how to lose money fast. For a bunch of institutional investors you'd think they could pick better parts for their funds. Prospectus looks good over previous 10 years but I'm sure you could lose 25% in any one fund as easy as they did this year except in their bond fund. I can understand the long term investment of buy and hold but don't these guys plan for bear markets? Gee I don't see where they have a bearX fund.

The check is in the mail.

Archived