Thank God it's Friday

For our current bubble it appears we can't rely on the shorts:

"The level of short-selling on the S&P 500 has fallen to its lowest level since January. And according to Bespoke Investment Group the average short interest in other major indexes is at the lowest level since the market top in October, 2007. Is that a sign of capitulation by the bears usually seen near market tops?" continue reading at http://syhardingblog.com/new/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..plus maria is probably long Amgen....or is boinking some biotech CEO's on the side....

I can see her going Full Metal Joan Rivers once father time goes into over drive.....and she won't have to worry about paying one red cent to get her face rewound tighter then a shrink wrapped pallet of mac and cheese at Costco. Kiss my arse Mrs. Use the News...

For our current bubble it appears we can't rely on the shorts:

"The level of short-selling on the S&P 500 has fallen to its lowest level since January. And according to Bespoke Investment Group the average short interest in other major indexes is at the lowest level since the market top in October, 2007. Is that a sign of capitulation by the bears usually seen near market tops?" continue reading at http://syhardingblog.com/new/

Charmin, not sure what option volume on the put side is but I think that is fueling a lot of the low volume squeezes. Lost Money has been preaching to Cramericans to go home with "protection" and have safe s*x with their 8 by 11 pieces of worthless paper for months. Not sure how this dynamic has played into this ramp but I do think it's a factor. Long's could be squeezing themselves.

Charmin, not sure what option volume on the put side is but I think that is fueling a lot of the low volume squeezes. Lost Money has been preaching to Cramericans to go home with "protection" and have safe s*x with their 8 by 11 pieces of worthless paper for months. Not sure how this dynamic has played into this ramp but I do think it's a factor. Long's could be squeezing themselves.

And I didn't quite have a full grasp of the intricacies and mechanics of what he was talking about, but a couple of weeks ago, Noland mentioned something along the lines that many big players (funds, investment banks, insurers, etc...) have been forced to unwind their "hedges" against a bear market. I took it to mean there are very few institutions protected on the down side, which incidentally may have helped fuel this rally. (Doug - If I am way off base on your analysis, my apologies.)

Given what I think is happening, it is completely possible when the stool hits the fan, the downside could be faster and much more dramatic then even the worse of us can even imagine - well, other than Shorty. This upcoming week, I will begin accumulation of out of money puts, with strike spread throughout the fall and winter.

Unwinding of hedges=short covering.

Squares with the low short interest levels.

Recipe for another collapse since the shorts won't be there to cushion any declines.

Conversely, Was looking at the COTs on Treasury futures and Large Traders have near the highest short positions in 4 years. Could be why Treasuries won't sell off. But looking at 10 years, current levels are not at extremes. Murky.

Unwinding of hedges=short covering.

Squares with the low short interest levels.

Recipe for another collapse since the shorts won't be there to cushion any declines.

Conversely, Was looking at the COTs on Treasury futures and Large Traders have near the highest short positions in 4 years. Could be why Treasuries won't sell off. But looking at 10 years, current levels are not at extremes. Murky.

Anyone have any good info on current margin debt levels or cash levels in mutual frauds?

Hasn't anyone here had their health insurance dropped, then been denied coverage due to a bogus pre-existing condition, as I have? Those who oppose reform are either young and healthy, or are covered by their nanny employer, or are already covered by the most popular government program in history, medicare.

What they are proposing as reform now is a disaster, and I would rather see them pass nothing than this monstrosity. The critics are right. It will only increase costs. We can't do it.

The only solution is the abolition of the private system, arrest, trial, and incarceration of the executives of the health care companies, including the insurers and pharma companies, for fraud and mass murder, and the institution of a wholly government run system. Every other civilized country in the world delivers government run universal health care at about 10% of GDP, compared to the US 17%, and achieve better outcomes statistically. Their governments are just as bureaucratic and inefficient as ours, so the argument that a government run system would cost more is unsupported by the facts. Government run systems cost a great deal less and do a better job overall.

But it's a moot point because the health care mafia owns the Republican party, and has corrupted enough of the Democrats, that any real reform of the system is impossible. Ultimately this system will collapse because so many people will be killed or financially ruined. The "American Way of Life" will also collapse. The trend is already well under way.

Given what I think is happening, it is completely possible when the stool hits the fan, the downside could be faster and much more dramatic then even the worse of us can even imagine - well, other than Shorty.

Steel I-beams are this weeks low at 1016 and then 992/980. I got this idea that it doesn't matter much about shorts when the whitewall street has all that cash to play with.

Hasn't anyone here had their health insurance dropped, then been denied coverage due to a bogus pre-existing condition, as I have? Those who oppose reform are either young and healthy, or are covered by their nanny employer, or are already covered by the most popular government program in history, medicare.

What they are proposing as reform now is a disaster, and I would rather see them pass nothing than this monstrosity. The critics are right. It will only increase costs. We can't do it.

The only solution is the abolition of the private system, arrest, trial, and incarceration of the executives of the health care companies, including the insurers and pharma companies, for fraud and mass murder, and the institution of a wholly government run system. Every other civilized country in the world delivers government run universal health care at about 10% of GDP, compared to the US 17%, and achieve better outcomes statistically. Their governments are just as bureaucratic and inefficient as ours, so the argument that a government run system would cost more is unsupported by the facts. Government run systems cost a great deal less and do a better job overall.

But it's a moot point because the health care mafia owns the Republican party, and has corrupted enough of the Democrats, that any real reform of the system is impossible. Ultimately this system will collapse because so many people will be killed or financially ruined. The "American Way of Life" will also collapse. The trend is already well under way.

I would agree on everything except the U.S. government being inefficient. It is 100% efficient according to the Golden Rule: He who supplies the gold (i.e. finances Congressional campaigns) makes the rules. No corporate CEO has EVER said "This is an inefficient process here. We are not getting our money's worth, so we are going to stop contributing to Congressional campaigns." They ALWAYS get their money's worth-- including the insolvent banks and the health care industry, as has recently been obvious. Their money is converted into exactly the kind of legislation they desire-- with the efficiency of a fine Swiss watch.

....... Their governments are just as bureaucratic and inefficient as ours, so the argument that a government run system would cost more is unsupported by the facts.......

Gotta disagree with that......

The US Federal Gubmint is pretty "bad" as far as capability goes.

What the US Gubmint seems to do best is first establish and then perpetuate fraud on a massive scale. Welfare fraud, Medicare fraud, Mortgage scamming, more Mortgage scamming, Food Safety fraud, wars based upon fraud, fraud in Wall Street, fraud in corporate board rooms, the list goes on and on.

Name one thing that the US Gubmint does of any large scale that is model for the rest of the world to emulate.

On the other hand, I can think of lots of countries where the Gubmint runs a tidy ship in health care and fraud, where it does exist, is relatively petty.

So in my opinion, the argument that the US Gubmint is too screwed up to run the Health Care System is very compelling and persuasive.

I don't see how you can fix health care in the USA until you drain the cesspool inside the Beltway first and eliminate all the vile, slimey, creep crawly critters living there.

The "American Way of Life" will also collapse. The trend is already well under way.

It started for me about the time my wife needed jaw surgery a number of years ago. We shelled out around 10K for orthodontics and extras. She had the surgery, but it was later deemed a failure. In the last few years with kids we've evaporated plenty on all kinds of repairs. It's absolutely amazing how one can burn through so much cash these days.

I don't get any sympathy from Mom. Her and dad had $30 when he brought her to America.

Archived