World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Quibbling queues

Still backing up to 12x 4TB spinning Hitachi disks (in a Linux server connected via 10GigE) rotated in three sets so I have three copies of everything. I will definitely go to SSD when the price is right. Right now I just use SSDs in my desktop and notebooks as well as my server boot drives. 

SSD powered off refresh every year roughly (powered on 350 year life span give or take at room temp).

I have a couple of SSD drives one with PCIe gen3x8 that flies the other is SATA which is limited to slower speed and serial but still pretty quick.   The SSD PCIe is still pricey but coming down.

Mass back up on disk.

WD is moving to SSD with DDR/NAND interfaces along with PCIe/SATA/SAS pretty neat shift I get to work some of the high speed channels.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SSD powered off refresh every year roughly (powered on 350 year life span give or take at room temp).

I have a couple of SSD drives one with PCIe gen3x8 that flies the other is SATA which is limited to slower speed and serial but still pretty quick.   The SSD PCIe is still pricey but coming down.

Mass back up on disk.

WD is moving to SSD with DDR/NAND interfaces along with PCIe/SATA/SAS pretty neat shift I get to work some of the high speed channels.

Definitely the way to go. I set up the 10GigE linux servers a few years back and I am of the mind of "if it ain't broke don't fix it." But when the cost of 4TB SSDs comes down enough the spinning disks are history.

Definitely the way to go. I set up the 10GigE linux servers a few years back and I am of the mind of "if it ain't broke don't fix it." But when the cost of 4TB SSDs comes down enough the spinning disks are history.

There is another technology in the memory space that is interesting that combines the solid state transistor technology with pure magnetic's no spinning parts...mes get to work on this one...non-volatile 20 year power off data retention, reduced footprint, power/speed is the real design balancing act.....Yeah remember when 10GigE was cutting edge we are now working 100GigBase and beyond one company is pushing on package 120Ghz bandpass filters using novel techniques to process certain bands (side) at these rates.......Koooooool stuff.........

There is another technology in the memory space that is interesting that combines the solid state transistor technology with pure magnetic's no spinning parts...mes get to work on this one...non-volatile 20 year power off data retention, reduced footprint, power/speed is the real design balancing act.....Yeah remember when 10GigE was cutting edge we are now working 100GigBase and beyond one company is pushing on package 120Ghz bandpass filters using novel techniques to process certain bands (side) at these rates.......Koooooool stuff.........

Indeed!

Archived