I Am "The Maestro"

Pee brain,

I call that the other peoples money syndrome....do know how many requests i get daily for money,it doesnt seem like much money a $20 here or a $50 there,but it is,every school or charity within 5 miles of my business seeks donations everyday of the week,they literally tie up our phones...usually play on conscience by saying we are raising money for the kiddies...yada,yada,yada....here in OZ,these organisations are run like businesses,professionals beggars virtually,i reckon if your kids are in a play the parents should cough up $50 each...i happily pay for my kids,just sick of everyone else wanting others to pay for theirs and getting all uppity when they wont.

After they take the donation, they want to know why prices are so high! :P

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this idea that people have little or no equity in their houses is a furphy...at this point in time most people have enormous equity...house prices have literally doubled in most places,so until this bubble bursts,people will continue to spend like drunken sailors,i too have just returned from the mall and it is incredible to watch,it is literally jam packed,in fact i have never seen a spending frenzy like it,so many shops selling absolute crap,really silly things like candles or crystals or fairies and just stupid shit,it is unbelievable,but as i have said in the past,it is like winning the lotto for lots of ordinary folks,where your house was worth $250k last yr it is now worth $400k at least,my folks bought a holiday house about 4 yrs ago for $160k,spent another $120k and is now worth just shy of $1 million....yes $1 million,even their townhouse has doubled in 3 yrs,they have 2 brandnew luxury cars,huge new TV(COST $13K) they have gone mad,they believe that they are reaping the rewards of working hard all their lives,they think i am the mad one....isnt it ironic,i am trailing the pack now,everyone has gone to squanderville and loving it.

Brisbane -Old stick -it is only worth 1 M$ if you sell it and then WHERE will you live???My take is the Squeegee kidz, panhandlers, dope addicts, squatters and freaks like MJ- should be used as human mine detectors in Iraq-my Lady and I were walking with our Dog on the beach recently (the Dog is a magnificent black german Shepherd) when some bum asked me for a cigarette I said "buy them like i do" he then spewed invective kicked over a trash barrel and looked like he wanted to rumble and then my Dog "Onyx" snarled and he left-we the good people don't snarl enough! Which is why we are-Where we are! trade Safe!-p.s. if someone knocked on our door and needed a sandwich or a meal they would get one-the scum would get zippo!

kBrisbane---I agree. There are 17 high school 20 middle schools and lord knows how many elem. Then the boy scouts, girl scouts, beauty pagents--------I could go on forever. My garden center is small, yet I donate or give at least twice to four times a month.Advertise in yearbooks, and they all have yearbooks. We only did it at the high school level. It's overwhelming, especially at certain times of the year.But you say no once and everyone forgets the 50 yesses. :(

Pee brain,

I call that the other peoples money syndrome....i reckon if your kids are in a play the parents should cough up $50 each...i happily pay for my kids,just sick of everyone else wanting others to pay for theirs and getting all uppity when they wont.

well, thats one point of view. our small community has changed drastically as the city has subsidized large "retail" box redevelopments along the fwy and just killed the old downtown businesses - yet the small "cash-strapped" businesses were in many cases happy to buy space and wanted to be notified when the tix go on sale.... again, its about community. my daughter wasnt pissed, i explained it was a #'s game, but i was surprised at some of the larger firms responses. i mean really, whats a pound of coffee to SBUX?

BTW, my daughter was selling advert space, not asking for a handout and ALOT of people go to the plays. i paid for ALL the refreshments for the last show and will do so this year as well, perhaps with modest $25 freebie from vons (if the strike hasnt ruined them), and the play kept the revenues. you'd be surprised how much parents contribute in time and money.... not to mention that there is plenty of money paid into the school system, just not sure where it goes. if it came down to it, id write the check for the whole thing - big friggin' deal, we collected less today in adverts than my time was worth.

the big thing: im sure other parents here can relate to the pride of watching my 12 y.o. hone her sales skills.... to watch her walk-in, ask for the manager; look him/her in the eye and make her pitch in a strong confident voice and then improve with each rejection - yeah, itd pay for that kinda education. until you have cold-called, you havent known true rejection. then she came home and made her follow-up list and made copies of the checks and business cards.

you keep that attitiude of only contributing when you have a personal stake, i dont get as many requests, so im a bit ignorant. personally, i got alot out of volunteering my time with my daughter.

Some cool stuff here tonight...

Plunger: I agree... full-blown bull (sounds like de title of a dodgy sex flick) or a crash (bad for both bulls and bears). Gotta get out of de trading derange first :o

Tchai: excellent stuff! I used to write a fair amount of song lyrics myself, many years ago... yr original stuff has reminded me, and has tempted me, to try my hand at it once more. Tanks :) I much prefer thoughtfully-penned parodies to mere copying and pasting of the original song lyrics B)

BrisbaneBear: what's a "furphy"? :ph34r:

Bri: how would giving cigarette lighters to hungry ppl alleviate their hunger? :rolleyes:

ARMF (Ahhh Really Moving Fast) NOT! gs chart... looks like some downside, rather than "how high can it go?" to me.

Disclaimer: gruffstuff is not very good with time :P

Success!

gruff

post-7-1069472196_thumb.jpg

Pee brain,

I call that the other peoples money syndrome....i reckon if your kids are in a play the parents should cough up $50 each...i happily pay for my kids,just sick of everyone else wanting others to pay for theirs and getting all uppity when they wont.

well, thats one point of view. our small community has changed drastically as the city has subsidized large "retail" box redevelopments along the fwy and just killed the old downtown businesses - yet the small "cash-strapped" businesses were in many cases happy to buy space and wanted to be notified when the tix go on sale.... again, its about community. my daughter wasnt pissed, i explained it was a #'s game, but i was surprised at some of the larger firms responses. i mean really, whats a pound of coffee to SBUX?

BTW, my daughter was selling advert space, not asking for a handout and ALOT of people go to the plays. i paid for ALL the refreshments for the last show and will do so this year as well, perhaps with modest $25 freebie from vons (if the strike hasnt ruined them), and the play kept the revenues. you'd be surprised how much parents contribute in time and money.... not to mention that there is plenty of money paid into the school system, just not sure where it goes. if it came down to it, id write the check for the whole thing - big friggin' deal, we collected less today in adverts than my time was worth.

the big thing: im sure other parents here can relate to the pride of watching my 12 y.o. hone her sales skills.... to watch her walk-in, ask for the manager; look him/her in the eye and make her pitch in a strong confident voice and then improve with each rejection - yeah, itd pay for that kinda education. until you have cold-called, you havent known true rejection. then she came home and made her follow-up list and made copies of the checks and business cards.

you keep that attitiude of only contributing when you have a personal stake, i dont get as many requests, so im a bit ignorant. personally, i got alot out of volunteering my time with my daughter.

My hats off to you with your involvement with your daughter. Wish I had a daughter. Three grown sons have to do.

Archived