Top Or Bottom?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a funny explaination from Paul Karisel

Why Did U.S. Stocks Rally On Monday?

My Northern "partner," Kurt Stoeber, gave me this idea. Remember when President Reagan was shot? The stock market rallies that day. Why? Because the country was going to rally around him, the chances of his tax-cut proposals getting through Congress were enhanced. Fast forward to Monday. Assuming that Iraq gets rolled up quickly, President Bush's popularity with American voters is likely to rise sharply. This, in turn, increases the probability that his tax-cut proposals get through Congress intact, including the dividend tax exclusion. If this reasoning makes sense, then Kurt deserves the credit for it. If it doesn't, I bear the responsibility for it.

more here

K-Wave-the state pen wants the chair back they have to fry someone next week! All the best to Mousey-what did you guys do to him on the pub crawl?? Like my Buddy and fellow e waver-END- I was about to straddle today until this thing started to stall out. Get ready for the Bugles up the ass-I would say we've topped and will get a bone rattling down draft into Friday expiration and then next week we go up again. I hate to say it but that rally ain't over-we could see 920 again between now and SoDumbs demise. But barring a war catastrophe the big dump looks to me like it will be in April or May. So I am short and WILL get shorter tomorrow and I will be buying calls Friday near the close. I think the dump will be 300-350 points so a decent retrace. The pro's took back the puts from the schmoes for cheap now they will take back the calls for cheap-the game continues. How long Bushie can keep all the balls in the air is questionable- Mchp, Oracle, Gateway Amat etc. News item today 6 major airlines may be chapter 11 within a month, Govt wants 289 Billion from the tobacco companies for quote 50 years of illegal profits-soon there will be no one left to squeeze and as Hyper has said guess who they will then squeeze. By the way when I add those calls I will be in a straddle then for war risk. Trade Safe!

For Mousey and others who may sit at the 'puter for long periods of time. You must get one of these.

I used to have chronic lower back pain. Since I got this chair, it has completely disappeared. The mesh support is much easier on the legs as well.

Aeron Chair

aeron_chair_799.jpg

I'll third that. I've got my fat a** in one right now and it's worth every penny. The chair, that is.

The only quirk is that there's, ummm, with the mesh bottom, ... what I'm saying is there's no filtering of the flatulence. No time delay, which kinda changes the whole bouquet.

But it solved a budding lower back problem and maybe even prevented clots. Who knows?

??News item today 6 major airlines may be chapter 11 within a month, ?Govt wants 289 Billion from the tobacco companies for quote 50 years of illegal profits-soon there will be no one left to squeeze. ?Trade Safe!

the govt better get there before the state of california. heard they are jamming the tobacco co's for extra tax. looking for crime wave as tobacco junkies have to rob to support their habits.

The only quirk is that there's, ummm, with the mesh bottom, ... what I'm saying is there's no filtering of the flatulence.  No time delay, which kinda changes the whole bouquet.

It's like Fat Bastard said in Austin Powers III...

"Everybody loves the smell of their own brand."

I have no mesh under my tush, so the downward pressure and subsequent lengthy escape allow for an aged, leather and eggs aroma.

Enjoy!

post-7-1048036885_thumb.gif

THE ROLLING STONES - Gimme Shelter

Ooh, a storm is threatening my very life today

If I don't get some shelter, oh yeah I'm gonna fade away

War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

War, children, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Ooh, see the fire is sweepin, our very streets today

Burns like a red coal carpet, mad bull lost its way

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Rape, murder, it's just a shot away, it's just a shot away

Can't seem to get this one out of my head lately.

re: airlines

S&P kicked AMR off the board Monday. Even after layoffs, the company remains a huge DFW employer. What I find interesting is the "mission statement", if you will, of the Indexes, which purport to find the best mix of companies reflective of the overall face of the US economy.

A number of (now) penny stocks still employ large numbers of people. Few sectors generate as much "trickle down" revenue (construction, manufacturing, IT, food service, etc.) as do the airlines.

No suprise to Stoolies who have known this for sometime, but indexes have evolved from economic weighting through market cap weighting to price weighting (as DOW has since it's inception) - insofar as their selection criteria.

In a sense, this is fuel for fools, since actual INVESTORS know how thoroughly confabulated "numbers" are these days. Oracle has raised the bar on this method tonite.

The general public remains unaware of all of this, which is a page out of Animal Farm (my daughter was reprimanded by her teatcher for a few Stoolie-like sentences I "advised" her to insert into an Animal Farm essay recently - how prophetic!).

The task for the bulls is to recruit New Money, which won't happen, because New Money is basically sidelined money in this economy. The Fundies don't have this money, because what they have is now fully invested or even overleveraged. Doug Noland has written for years on where this "new money" is. Less and less of it, as time goes on, will be "invested in the market" - creditors are now knocking on many, many doors. AMR and United are finding this out. Delta will soon.

This is a LARGE number of people out of work. An even LARGER number with pay-cuts, pension squeezes, benefits pulled, etc. Too bad the S&P won't be able to warn anybody about it.

snippet from Puplava tonight:

"In summary, we have now reached the point of no return. Intervention is needed at all levels of the markets, whether it is propping up the dollar, driving down oil prices, propping up the stock markets, inventing new statistics to keep attention away from the problem, or preventing the price of gold or gold shares from rising. The markets require constant tinkering by the alchemists. Not to intervene would bring about a stock market crash, higher interest rates, a plunging dollar, and a collapse of the economy and the much-feared depression that few thought possible."

link

Hey Guys,

Finished weeping about having sold mu RYVYX too early. Time to rock and roll again. I'm going with Brian on a nice pullback into Friday. Looking to repurchase those 4,000 shares again at about 10.75.

Both Naz and SPX have given buy signals according to BPI's: http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/Favorit...et?obj=ID128959

Time to be long...for a little while.

Good Luck

Easyal said: "Why Did U.S. Stocks Rally On Monday?

My Northern "partner," Kurt Stoeber, gave me this idea. Remember when President Reagan was shot? The stock market rallies that day. Why? Because the country was going to rally around him, the chances of his tax-cut proposals getting through Congress were enhanced. Fast forward to Monday. Assuming that Iraq gets rolled up quickly, President Bush's popularity with American voters is likely to rise sharply. This, in turn, increases the probability that his tax-cut proposals get through Congress intact, including the dividend tax exclusion. If this reasoning makes sense, then Kurt deserves the credit for it. If it doesn't, I bear the responsibility for it. "

BEARWITHME SAYS:

I CONCUR 100%!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.. OF COURSE NOBODY INCUDING ME KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH THE WAR.. BUT I THINK THEY WOULD BE MORONS TO FIGHT BACK.. IF THIS IS JUST A BUNCH OF GUYS HOLDING THEIR UNDERWEAR ON STICKS OVER THEIR HEADS, I AGREE WITH YOU EASYAL.. RALLY CITY!! YOO HOO!!! WHO CARES ABOUT THE ENTIRE AIRLINE INDUSTRY GOING BANKRUPT.. WHO CARES ABOUT FORD AND GM SEEMINGLY HEADED TO BANKRUPTCY... WE WON A WAR WITH A COUNTRY THAT HAS SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN 1% OF THE U.S. G.D.P. !!

WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT...

KIND OF REMINDS ME OF WHEN THE US OLYMPIC BASKETBALL "DREAM TEAM" WOULD BEAT LIBERIA 190 TO 3.. AND THEN HIGH FIVE EACH OTHER AT THE END OF THE GAME. :wink2:

What worries me here is that last year when we had these flagpole rallies, they'd usually retrace the next 2 days or so. Not this time. Someone out there is a motivated buyer with deep pockets. Might be bears covering, I don't know. I've been just day-trading (waste of time for me - is Oyster available to teach daytrading 101 classes?) the last week or so, but now I am wondering if it makes sense to get out of my BEARX and other short funds that I have been holding for a long-term position. BEARX has been a waste of time since July.

Once the dominos are lined up, you only have to tip the first one over to get something big going.

Archived