The Cheese Stands Alone

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pulled out the retrosigmoidoscope to guess at a possible future, one in which john connor sends back. . . no, wait, wrong script.

in some ways, the current chart looks similar to the oct 2002 morphologies. i don't think we're anywhere near as close to the end of the beer/bear market as we were in late 2002--it's just that the SPX chart and its attendant divergences have a similar look.

bottom line guess: bears need to be careful about doing the bearish thing. i'm planning on not entering many bearish positions during the next month, and if i do, i'll be sure to stand near the frakkin' exit.

2009.03.27_Comparisons_with_SPX_2002.png

I'm gonna tell you guys a little secret. The absolute levels of the indicators are more important in interpreting the charts than the divergences. They tell me that the downside momo is 2-5 times greater than it was in 02. The divergences are better understood in that context. The upside movement will burn out well before the momentum turns positive.

It's a trap.

hahhaha

UK recession: mistresses are the credit crunch's latest victims

Mistresses have become an unnecessary expense during the recession.

As men, fearful for their jobs and marriages, seek to cut back on their assets and expenditures, mistresses are facing a cull. A recent survey reports that nearly half of anal cysts, stockbrokers and hedge-fund managers are preparing to let the other woman go. There's no doubt about it: these are bad times for the good time girls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5055868/UK...st-victims.html

In Philly we say the cheeseSTEAK stands alone.

If you're ever in Delray Beach, there's a Philly guy downtown at the corner of NE 5th Ave and Atlantic who imports all his ingredients from Philly. It''s called Big Al's Steaks, and you can get a really great cheesesteak there, as good as any in Philly. http://www.bigalssteaks.com/home.html

Great timing with this post. Just arrived in Fla yesterday and I was planning on looking Big Al's up. Followed your rec. last year and those cheesesteaks are awesome! B)

Of course I'll post a pic or two just to tease everyone. :D

...and from Naked Capitalism we have the following....

"By the way, are there ANY protections to prevent banks from gaming this plan? What's to stop them from acting as the equity investors in the partnerships, ponying up a sliver of equity to effect a transfer of toxic assets from their own balance sheets to the public's? The FDIC's FAQ for the legacy loans program doesn't even address this particular Q. Is it not being frequently asked?"

....hummmm

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about this....

...and you can sure as sh*t bet that there are several hundred Ivy League MBA's and securities lawyers working on the same thing, right now....

They would be well served and could save some time by just asking Giethner for his working papers on the plan, as it it now clear that this was engineered into the Geithner plan from the git-go...

Oh...

And let's not forget this, as reported by the NY Post

Pretty clear to this gin-soaked observer as to what is going on.....bracketed edits, mine

"But the banks' [recent] purchase of so-called AAA-rated mortgage-backed securities [using TARP funds], including some that use alt-A and option ARM as collateral, is raising eyebrows among even the most seasoned traders. Alt-A and option ARM loans have widely been seen as the next mortgage type to see increases in defaults.

One Wall Street trader told The Post that what's been most puzzling about the purchases is how aggressive both banks have been in their buying, sometimes paying higher prices than competing bidders are willing to pay.

Recently, securities rated AAA have changed hands for roughly 30 cents on the dollar, and most of the buyers have been hedge funds acting opportunistically on a bet that prices will rise over time. However, sources said Citi and BofA have trumped those bids."

...and from Naked Capitalism we have the following....

"By the way, are there ANY protections to prevent banks from gaming this plan? What's to stop them from acting as the equity investors in the partnerships, ponying up a sliver of equity to effect a transfer of toxic assets from their own balance sheets to the public's? The FDIC's FAQ for the legacy loans program doesn't even address this particular Q. Is it not being frequently asked?"

....hummmm

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about this....

...and you can sure as sh*t bet that there are several hundred Ivy League MBA's and securities lawyers working on the same thing, right now....

They would be well served and could save some time by just asking Giethner for his working papers on the plan, as it it now clear that this was engineered into the Geithner plan from the git-go...

"What's to stop them from acting as the equity investors in the partnerships, ponying up a sliver of equity to effect a transfer of toxic assets from their own balance sheets to the public's?"

Why would anyone stop them? The whole plan is to help them to do this. We need to ask ourselves: Who is it that Timmy is serving and working for?

David Mack used to talk about this plan of Privatize assets/ Socialize losses. Sounds like it's Full Speed Ahead with that same old plan. Any of us who voted for a change to that plan, need to get out there and demand that change right now.

How'z about a Show Timmy the Door movement?

I'm gonna tell you guys a little secret. The absolute levels of the indicators are more important in interpreting the charts than the divergences. They tell me that the downside momo is 2-5 times greater than it was in 02. The divergences are better understood in that context. The upside movement will burn out well before the momentum turns positive.

It's a trap.

Easily seen on the monthly?

post-14-1238198286_thumb.png

Here are the two initial overhead reamsistance areas I'm looking at.

The S&P took a 400 pernt porking in anticipation of the election,

then another 300+ pernt porking in response to the election.

I think reamcovery to the first level, just getting back to where we were on election day, is possible this year, and reamcovery back to the Bush highs is possible within four years.

Significantly exceeding the Bush highs and holding above them will likely take another four years after that. Butt it can be done, in nominal dollars.

What's the alternative? Money markets with a 1% yield? No thanks.

post-2457-1238202223.png

Reamember I'm talking about the stock market in nominal dollars, not the economy. Inflation will help stock prices, especially those companies that benefit from a lower dollar. This is not the 1970's, interest rates are not 20%, there is no comp fer stocks.

Worst quarter for the economy since the 1930s

In terms of lost wealth, lost jobs, falling output.

Stocks on track for third best month since 1950

The current bear-market rally lifted the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average to six-week highs, with both indexes up more than 20% over the past 13 trading sessions.

Most of the package stimulation is horrific, gigantic, B.S. money-flushing -- temporary makework fake jobs that produce very little of real value and maSSive handouts to politically connected insiders.

It will not help the economy for the little guy whose job has permanently gone overseas, whose house is now permanently recognized for the sucker scam monthly debit nightmare that it is, and whose taxes and fees will be jacked without mercy.

In addition, all the nonproductive money creation will lead to higher inflation and a weaker dollar versus other currencies.

Yet, this will be a profitable time for many S&P 500 corporations, and even more so for many NASDAQ 100 corporations, whose stock prices are now low compared to book value and earnings. They will benefit from the lower dollar to the extent that they export and calculate earnings in dollars, and they will benefit from using cheaper labor overseas and cutting wages on the few reamaining domestic wageslaves they still need to spank on a daily basis. What's bad for Joe six-pack is good for corporate America, and good for stock prices.

While Joe struggles in vain to dodge the pole-axe and conpete with his neighbors fer handouts, bailouts, Alpo, SPAM, and dirt sandwiches, the corporate fat cats will issue themselves new insider stock options here at the bottom and goose 'em back up fer big easy $caSSh.

This index was developed by Norman Fosback. It is simply the absolute value of the number of advancing issues minus the number of declining issues. Remember, the sign is ignored in the calculation of an absolute number.

For charting purposes, we take the daily Absolute Breadth value (calculated as described in the previous paragraph) and publish it as a percentage increase or decrease from the previous day’s value.

The theory behind the Index is that when the absolute difference between the number of advancing and declining stocks is high, you are more likely to be near a market bottom than a top since a selling climax, with most stocks participating, often occurs near a market bottom. On the other hand, a low Absolute Breadth Index reading is more likely to signify the slow topping activity that frequently occurs at a market peak.

(Charting package help file - no link)

post-14-1238199908_thumb.png

post-14-1238199918_thumb.png

Archived