The Billionaire Club

from Safehaven today.

The Austrian approach stresses that money is not neutral and there is no proportionality in monetary induced price changes. What this means is changes in the money supply not only influence prices in general but also prices in particular. In other words, inflating the money supply by forcing down the rate of interest distorts the pattern of production by inducing businesses to invest in projects that would not otherwise be economically viable. When the rates of interest eventually rises again many of these projects have to be abandoned.

This is what I was talking about earlier in regards to the wine industry.

We have so many wineries in OZ.

These wineries decide to expand because money is cheap and plentiful.

Each winery decides to buy extra land,plant more vines,increase capacity at the same time that everyone else does and what do you have?

A massive glut of wine.

Throw in rising oil prices,rising interest rates,rising misc costs and couple that with falling sales and lower prices and you have the perfect storm.

Thats what has happened in nearly every industry or business in OZ.

Now we wait for the fall out.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just received this important email.

I HIGHLY recommend that you take the 30 seconds to do this.

IMPORTANT LICENSE INFORMATION:

This is upsetting but I thought I should pass it along. Check your driver's license. Now you can see anyone's Driver's License on the Internet, including your own! I just searched for mine and there it was, picture and all!!

Thanks Homeland Security! Where are our rights?

I definitely removed mine. I suggest you do the same...

Go to the web site and check it out. Just enter your name, city and state to see if yours is on file. After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove". This will remove it from public viewing, but not from law enforcement   

http://www.license.shorturl.com

Scammed.

:lol:

It's a joke site, guys. That's why I posted it.

?? I am considering moving to Austin Texas.

..? My college education consists of only an associates degree to be an operator at the plants and 115 hours total. I partied too much but that has been over for quite some time.? I need some advice on what to go back to school for to help me in this venture. Economics, business etc? I dont have to be a trader but something related is what I would be best at and enjoy the most.

I would plan to go to college in Austin of course.? My sister has a 240k 1600 sqft home in Austin in the "good" area right in the middle of town. I can see them losing big on there home when the adjustable rates kick in, in 5 years. They plan to sell before this but I can see the trap. They both have great jobs and are great savers so having to move in with the parents will not be in the cards. They will just be stuck with oweing more than paid on the home.

Tzu...first: You will need to learn how to party again if you move to Austin. Especially if you are going to attend school there.

second: I pulled my daughter out of UT Austin after a year and sent her to the safe, cozy confines of Chelsea, Manhattan. Austin can be a dangerous place; Hill Country is pricey but much more tended.

third: My daughter's boyfriend is a UT Business School grad. Top 3% high school grad is a pre-req, but if that doesn't apply, they do have a night school track for working slugs that has many of the same profs, and is highly ranked. Trading is not taught, and the economics are so esoteric, you might come out more like an actuary than a trader.

fourth: $240K is a decent price if she's off the "Drag" but close to campus. Many of the older homes are very nice. And if it's designed right, you can rent part out to a post-doc to cut your expenses. Avoid the frat renters who want a crash shack for their 2AM skanks. Don't mean to be crude, but I heard the party stories 24/7 for a year, and I don't exagerate.

fifth: good luck. There's still lots of opportunity in this state, moreso than most.

-edit: there are also a number of other decent schools in the Austin area worth looking into.

Tsu

Forget about mispending thousands and thousands of dollars getting colllege credits, much of which goes to support pedagogues, most of whom are demoralised time-worn hacks whose least concern is making their pupils smarter than themseves

Rather seek out and find the lonely scholar with a mission,preferably in the english department;make him an offer to pay him personally and in cash for tutorial assistance as a reading coach,nothing more

When you say most people read and wind up doing no better than those svelt unread louts, its not because of the "reading" (in quotes because its a highly ambiguus term) they do: Rather, substitute the word "masturbation" for "reading" and you'll render the act in a more accurate description of what is currrently called reading--

Im 72 and have only learned to read in the last years of my life--I pick up books that I allegedly read years ago and am amazed at how fresh and unread the volume seems to me now--

Years are spent writing classics, and then readers go at them like kleenex,discarding them in same way ,the only difference being (perhaps because of a peculiar fastidiousness) not hocking snotty lungers between their pages.

I fundementally believe that ,when it comes to long complicated chains of reasoning, there is no substitute for the printed word.

Yes videos are great augmenters of knowledge, but far, far away from becoming their replacements. As a matter of fact Im reading a book which is about drawing, and which author suggests reading the pictures illustrating his tome,as if they were "texts" !!!

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: A college education should enable you to read a newspaper with the intelligence normally applied to e..g a Platonic dialogue; and conversly, to read a Platonic dialogue with the intelligent pleasurable innocence and serenity with which you peruse your morning paper

Believe it or not!

from Safehaven today.

The Austrian approach stresses that money is not neutral and there is no proportionality in monetary induced price changes. What this means is changes in the money supply not only influence prices in general but also prices in particular. In other words, inflating the money supply by forcing down the rate of interest distorts the pattern of production by inducing businesses to invest in projects that would not otherwise be economically viable. When the rates of interest eventually rises again many of these projects have to be abandoned.

This is what I was talking about earlier in regards to the wine industry.

We have so many wineries in OZ.

These wineries decide to expand because money is cheap and plentiful.

Each winery decides to buy extra land,plant more vines,increase capacity at the same time that everyone else does and what do you have?

A massive glut of wine.

Throw in rising oil prices,rising interest rates,rising misc costs and couple that with falling sales and lower prices and you have the perfect storm.

Thats what has happened in nearly every industry or business in OZ.

Now we wait for the fall out.

Bris

Von Mises refers to the avove dislocation as the "Structurl disfiguration of the productive cone"--where money flows like wine in all sorts of directions,carelessly, recklessly, until financial severities begin popping up all over the place--

I remember reading Prime Minister Gladstone tart comments directed towards those who would disparage reading the documents going into the National Budget of the United Kingdom as absolutely boring--and he answered the jibe by referring to the documents as in many cases as veritably Funereal,the reason being, that rescources that could have saved lives in one area ,shifted to other uses because of mandatory restraints, would lead to innumerable anonymous deaths.

Boring indeed! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Im 72 and have only learned to read in the last years of my life--I pick up books that I allegedly read years ago and am amazed at how fresh and unread the volume seems to me now--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beardrech:

It's when intelligence, and the intuition based on life's experience combine.

It's called wisdom.

And it's a precious gift.

Another prediction coming true.

Bargain rents in Palm Beach County. ? They found a woman who had bought 14 houses to flip, and couldn't sell any of them. Losing 50K a month.?

Leverage and greed. A lethal combination.

Also, the Florida Association of Realtors reported the median single family house price in PBC in April was $386K, down from 421K in November.

Doc et Stoolies : The proud owner of dem 14 can't ever go down investments has her own website . You'll never guess what her day job is To the sound of a percussionist...

Yes, she is... (a drumroll).... a....... REALTOR (Crash of symbols to go with the market conditions

I just looked around her wesbiste for an an insight to the real realtor. Under resources I found this gem

"Once you?ve armed yourself with a little bit of knowledge and are ready to act, get me on your side for a smoother, faster, less stressful transaction"
. The little bit of knowledge is probably literally what she applied here and I doubt the less stress part.

Secondly, have a look at the "poll" on the far right hand side of the main page.

How do you like the weather?

-It's great!

-I don't like it.

wtf ?? This really makes me want to buy from her. Perhaps, it's her idea of market research. I can just imagine her singing to herself. The sun will come out tomorrow, bet you're bottom dollar that tomorrow I can sell them. :lol:

Cap and Dok

Are you old enough to remember a movie called the "The Snake Pit"?

Starring Olivia De Havilland it was Hollywoods first attempt to portray the hellish existence of the conditions in what were then called Insane Asyums--I havemn't seen it .what? for-fifty years--

But I remeber one image in what then passed for montage of a vast pit of writhing Snakes; shot from above it morphed into patients being treated at the asylum

Your referring to that Lady made me think what a great movie her agony would make--

berdrech :ph34r: :ph34r: These stories are going to get wilder and wilder---

I was at CompUSA this evening and on a table near the front of the store, they had a display IMac G5 for $1199. Not a particularly good deal if you ask me. I think that they still have PowerMac G5 demos in the store. I think that I'd prefer a refurb to store demo for all except for the PowerMac which is built like a tank.

I bought s stereo at Circuit City awhile back. The next day I went to get a couple cables. I saw the same stereo as a demo for 2/3rds the price. I immediately bought it and took the other one back. A few days later it was an open box buy for the same price. :huh:

I see what you are saying. I myself just seem to get inpatient and speed up as I go along. It perhaps seems I need to slow my mind down and relax more.

I would love to go to school to learn but right now its just to get the piece of paper that my whole life seems to have to revolve around when getting a new job. They say it shows you can follow thru with something. This is why I have been working for myself trying to eek out a living.

Oddly, enough. I guess 80% of people get a job outside of their degreed fields.

Retraining my brain to read better at this early age might do wonders for sure. I know for a fact that I do not retain written information very well in books. This is reflected in my past crappy grades. I am far from in the top 3% even though I can out trade them. I guess that has something to do with street smarts and not book smarts.

Oddly enough, I retain a lot of information on the message boards that I can interact with, switch to different pages etc.

I need to teach my brain how to retain information better.

Bearvest, thanks for link. I think the guys name was John Bolling. Him and 2 others were on Crapvision the other day. They were touted as 3 people who had became multi millionaires from scratch. They then showed John on the floor making trades and he was telling them how he did it.

I see what you are saying. I myself just seem to get inpatient and speed up as I go along. It perhaps seems I need to slow my mind down and relax more.

I would love to go to school to learn but right now its just to get the piece of paper that my whole life seems to have to revolve around when getting a new job. They say it shows you can follow thru with something. This is why I have been working for myself trying to eek out a living.

Oddly, enough. I guess 80% of people get a job outside of their degreed fields.

Retraining my brain to read better at this early age might do wonders for sure. I know for a fact that I do not retain written information very well in books. This is reflected in my past crappy grades. I am far from in the top 3% even though I can out trade them. I guess that has something to do with street smarts and not book smarts.

Oddly enough, I retain a lot of information on the message boards that I can interact with, switch to different pages etc.

I need to teach my brain how to retain information better.

Bearvest, thanks for link. I think the guys name was John Bolling. Him and 2 others were on Crapvision the other day. They were touted as 3 people who had became multi millionaires from scratch. They then showed John on the floor making trades and he was telling them how he did it.

I finished my college degree at 32 and then went on to get a masters in pretty

short order. I went to college for a year and then got recruited by industry and

did pretty well without a degree but in the mid-80s, it became harder and harder

to even be looked at by headhunters without the paper. Fortunately for me a

few companies paid for my two degrees except for the first year and that was

when tuition was $3200 per year at the school I went to.

I would say that I'm better off for having the degrees as the undergraduate (Arts)

gave me exposure to a lot of different things that I wouldn't look into on my own

and the graduate degree provided me with a lot of the theoretical background into

the stuff that I was working with. A lot of that theory was a mystery to me.

Archived