Your Fed report is the key to everything.

Doc, I have a question. Do you think it's a right time to buy a house, assuming I'll be able to press a seller to 10%+ discount?

I'm afraid to miss the current 30Y rate

There are many variables to consider. First the rent versus buy calculation for properties of similar utility. Second is the trend in your area. Has it stopped going down? If not, then the answer is automatically- keep renting.

When considering housing costs, be sure to consider all the maintenance expense, and obviously insurance and taxes. What's the trend rate of taxes? Older houses, and poorly built newer ones can cost a fortune in maintenance and repairs.

Then you have to consider the opportunity cost of capital. What can you do with the 50-100k you would be putting down. Can you borrow the entire purchase price?

Also, how long do you intend to stay put has to be considered. Will the house need a new roof during that time? If you sell, will you sell it yourself, or pay someone 6% to do what you could easily do yourself?

All that kind of stuff. But # 1 and #2 are the rent/buy calcs, and market conditions. Never, never buy into a down market. Wait until at least a year after the market has stopped declining.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, my call is premature. My opinion that this one will not be the worst is based only on one single argument - somehow we avoided the bank run by the population.

Imagine if 50 million of people are heading to the bank and ask to get the deposit in cash. We've being very, very close to that last year. Probably the sheeples are too stupid, and that saved us. I had nothing in the bank back then

You're too early on that one too. There's already a run on the money market funds under way. The media is under a fatwah not to report it.

Generally, it's way, way too early to conclude that there won't be a run on the banks, and the biggie-- a run on the US Treasury. Now won't that be something.

Tabby cat has this backwards.

"one type of CDO let Wall Street issue mortgage-backed bonds that were backed not by actual monthly mortgage payments made by real human beings, but by the wild promises of other irresponsible lenders. They even called the thing a synthetic CDO — a derivative contract filled with derivative contracts — and nobody laughed. "

They were borrowers, not lenders.

The synthetic CDOs were hedge hog shorts, effectively on the same side as ho-moaners.

Hedge hogs short at par, and buying back into the CDO decline.

Like a walk away, without the messy house bit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story...naked_swindle/2

You're too early on that one too. There's already a run on the money market funds under way. The media is under a fatwah not to report it.

Generally, it's way, way too early to conclude that there won't be a run on the banks, and the biggie-- a run on the US Treasury. Now won't that be something.

I'm very puzzled why the run on money markets is not resulting into anything bad yet. The Ted spread is very low. The commercial paper market is calm. It doesn't look like a panic - just moving money directly to the treasuries.

For example, my 401k plan offers 4 or 5 options to invest 100% in treasuries. Gives all choices of maturities and competing funds. And it gives me 2 money markets.

So I can run from 2 money markets into 5 treasury markets :-)

Doc, am looking at the MM chart in the Fed report (p. 67 from 18 Oct 09).

Looks like since March, Retail MM is down ~20% and Institutional down ~10%. Retail looks like a steady slope, Institutional seems to be accelerating a bit.

Is the whole story, or is it worse? TIA

Yep...he had the $ 300 price tag or target pinned on the giant cardboard Apple he was wearing. It was covering up his old $ 264 dollar price tag.

Right now the market cap of the biggest multinational co is implying the investors bet on the destruction of the dollar.

What's interesting, the bet on the dollar collapse is extremely crowded and is not hedged. It is simply impossible to establish a comparable hedge.

I wonder is those investors are tracking M2

Yep...he had the $ 300 price tag or target pinned on the giant cardboard Apple he was wearing. It was covering up his old $ 264 dollar price tag.

I heard he had apples all over the studio and was eating them too.

He's running out of dimwit gags.

One day sometime in the future he'll come blubbering and whimpering on air half naked and smeared with his own feces. It'll be the buy signal of the decade.

Off topic.....I guess, sorta.......

Oct 25th/26th seems to be 'it' in the wackosphere....

Haven't seen this much chatter from diverse quarters about a date since Y2K.....speculations about a banking system lockup, dollar demise, Iran bombing, 8+ earthquake, all sortsa whatnot....

Where's that damned blue pill

Well, I did my bit today and bought a little more peace-of-mind with a couple of March 700 S&P puts... Doc's Fed Report definitely put me in a catastrophic frame of mind...

Archived