B4 The Bell, Humpday May 12

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People have changed so much. It's not necessarily for the bad or the good,  there just isn't as much variation in temperment and personality. The bland leading the bland.

Totally agree Threadbare. One has to go a long way to find a decent eccentric these days. My mother told me I'm in danger of becoming an one and I was thrilled, merely a beginner at this stage but I'm working on it :grin:

A couple of anecdotes:

In the small wheatbelt town I come from there was a farmer's wife who was a klepto. She would regularly appear at the draper's shop and slip items into her bag but she was so obvious the staff just noted what she took and sent the bill to her husband. The bill was always paid, no questions asked. These days she'd be dragged out in handcuffs and plonked before a magistrate causing embarrassment and trauma all round.

I was telling the above story to an older woman friend and she told me another one. Apparently she is part of a group who regularly meet at each other's homes for afternoon teas. One of the members has a spoon fetish and she always pockets her coffee spoon so the others agreed that they would only provide one spoon and it is passed from person to person thus solving the problem. It was considered a minor aberration and not worth losing a friend over..

We used to have annual "prosh" parades which was the one day of the year when the uni students went feral and poked fun at politicians, wore outrageous costumes etc but I would have to say uni students are the blandest of the bland now.

In fact the entire community motto seems to be "Don't Rock the Boat".

Looks like Asia's climbing back up the cliff. U.S. futures looking like they did last night.

So I guess tomorrow will be another boring "unchanged" day. :P

EDIT: Aussie, here in Minnesota there are a lot of people of Scandinavian descent. So the joke here is that it's "the bland leading the blond."

Lol Drano..

Yep same problem here with the market...sitting under a resistance level and going nowhere.

Well guess I'd better go and do something eccentric or I'll lose points, catchya later :)

If a goodly portion of that can be wiped out - and trust me there are geniouses on Wall Street who will do this ...

HP,

This is precisely what could happen, especially with GSEs.

A keystoke and poof gone it is. Instant monetarty inflation.

We thought Enron was a scam, just wait.

Holding paper assets will very likely be very deadly.

There is nothing backing them except present demand

and book value (for stocks).

SEH

Maybe what I'm picking up on is that so many people are on Prozac? Any thoughts about that one, Stoolies?

The fishies that swim in our drinking water are on Prozac

http://eces.org/articles/000238.php.

Researchers at Baylor University have found fluoxetine hydrochloride, the active ingredient in the antidepressant Prozac, in in a Denton County, Texas creek, raising concerns about the welfare of the fish and the people who eat them,

So even if you're not on Prozac, you're probably ingesting it anyway.

What's the Buy/Sell ratio?

It's a percentage of buy sell hold recomendations in

the VectorVest system which I use as a stock picker.

If the ratio of buys to sells is above 1 then the market is robust.

Today the BSR is .19 which indicates that the market is in decline.

Butt we knew that.

Brian - I guess that others have realized that the squeeze was

pure skud (my new favorite word for a vertical rapid assention that

misses its target). Hope there is a chance to get short again! :blink:

Tanks!

Aussiebear, Hilarious stories. I grew up in small armed forces towns and cities. I recall the same thing you mention --people were allowed their eccentricities.Our neighbour across the street, an elderly woman, used to drink 50 cups of coffee a day. One day after a particular heavy day of drinking (caffeine) she was found lying in the middle of the road, staring up at the stars. This was barely commented on. Someone just picked her up and took her home.

A married woman with 4 kids living up the street got drunk one night, borrowed her toddler's tricycle and peddled all around the neighbourhood, buck naked. Again, didn't draw more than a yawn.

And highschool. That was rich. --had a home economics teacher who would lose it sometimes and chase kids while waving a knife in the air. A 400 pound, one eyed math teacher who would pick your desk up, with you in it, hold you up a few feet and then just drop you and your desk like a sack of potatos.

Back then, life wasn't traumatizing, it was intriguing. Kids were a hell of a lot nicer to each other. The teachers and parents were the bullies, as it should be.

Nowadays all weird behaviour is pathologized rather than enjoyed.

Aussiebear, Hilarious stories. I grew up in small armed forces towns and cities. I recall the same thing you mention --people were allowed their eccentricities. Our neighbour across the street, an elderly woman, used to drink 50 cups of coffee a day. One day after a particular heavy day of drinking (caffeine) she was found lying in the middle of the road, staring up at the stars. This was barely commented on. Someone just picked her up and took her home.

A married woman with 4 kids living up the street got drunk one night, borrowed her toddler's tricycle and peddled all around the neighbourhood, buck naked. Again, didn't draw more than a yawn.

And highschool. That was rich. --had a home economics teacher who would lose it sometimes and chase kids while waving a knife in the air.-- A 400 pound, one eyed math teacher who would pick your desk up, with you in it, hold you up a few feet and then just drop you and your desk like a sack of potatos.

Back then, life wasn't traumatizing, it was intriguing. Kids were a hell of a lot nicer to each other. The teachers and parents were the bullies, as it should be.

Nowadays all weird behaviour is pathologized rather than enjoyed.

Archived