B4 the Bell. Turdsday Aug 19, 2004

Guest yobob1

Does anyone ever,and I mean ever, refer to Wassily Leontiev's Input output analysis??? It seems to me that his work would serve as a very good tool enhancing doks c charts--

I will defer to someone else Breadreach......over my paygrade. :shocked

Beardrech,

"Teach a man to fish...... "

Google even corrected your spelling! LOL

Now search your little heart out!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...ysis%22&spell=1

B) B)

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you see this?

20040819-1_b33s0122-515h.jpg

found here

So, which is it? War or peace?

Hmmmmm......

From the viewpoint of a conservative LADY, brought up with old-school manners,

it is my not so humble viewpoint that:

CONDI RICE NEEDS TO GET LAID!!!

Now then, do we have an AMEN?

(At a recent Washington dinner party, Condi "inadvertently" referred to

our BushBaby as "my husband," then did her usual "What I meant to say..."

Condi is not married in the usual sense of the word. hehehehe)

Over on bullstool board swinger posted this.

http://www.bullstool.com/bullstools/index....t=20entry6064

semi book to bill

I need to point out, this is the Semi-Equipment book to bill. ie/ the AMATs etc. It is not Semiconductor manufacturers book to bill.

Semiconductor guys are probably in a better picture than the semi-equipment guys. IMO the 10inch to 12 inch & copper productivity improvements have canabalized the equipment manufacturers future market: If you have a 12 inch wafer fab, latest and greatest geometry with fantastic yields, you don't need a revolutionary productivity improvement.

People railed on Intel for inventory generation but the copper metal sytem turned out much better that what was predicted.

There are also other factors which restrict the amount of products you can take to the smaller generations (Moore's law) due to increased costs of putting them in this newer technology node :Specifically, the photo mask sets to manufacture the newer products in the process geometries have increased exponsentially. Whereas it cost $250k to produce silicon to prove out a new design now cost $600k+ in mask sets alone. Couple in the fact that 24 wafer lot in 12 in c vs 10 inch geometry shrink could now you 100k pieces vs 30k before AND it is normal to produce 3 lots to qualify a device, Identifying bugs and process "spins" will be far more costly in future than what is was !

In layman's terms, the bar for determining which product you release to these future process nodes has gone up.

Moore's law: the number of transistors on a given piece of silicon would double every couple of years,

Captain's Log's law: the number of companies that CANNOT affort to conform to Moore's law and produce custom silicon will double every couple of years.

(Latter law means more general purpose products offered by less companies so down the road, semiconductor companies who survive may not be a bad play.....)

China, btw, is about to mess up the overall demand /supply equation of silicon manufacturing by bringing on 2 new foundry fabs in the next years or two without the need for it. I wish them luck (Actually I don't - hope they fail miserably and are late to market) since silicon manufacturing is not about labor costs only but highly knowledge (+experience) and capital instensive.

---- I Digrese.... -----

Working for a semicon company myself, I learned in past two years to divorce myself from my company's business from stock market valuation. Not that it will make much difference to the perception / valuation of technology in interim which IMO, has tipped.

The Captain's Log prediction is 5 years down the road, nobody will talk about "Shareholder value".

Companies will not be brown tongueing Wall street's opinion (not that it is worth anything anyhow. Those anal cysts are sluts.) and management attention will be on leading the company (like it should be) instead of massaging numbers to get a "happy ending". Stock options for employees will be a 90's fad since employees will not want them as their experience will be they are worthless. Instead they'll want cash bonuses -back to the old days.

A debate where Oil comes from...This is pure humor.

Oil comes from those who own it...end of story...

And they have no obligation to give you more then they see fit to give to you...

Got it? [...]

Now do you understand where oil comes from?

Dude, relax.

Yeah I do get that, which was why I took the time to say what I did. I thought the rest would be obvious:

That we don't need to be fighting over the Middle East like starving dogs over an old bone. Like food in the third world, an artificial scarcity in oil is being created purely for political means.

I have read back through the archives and respect and agree with much of what you say regarding debt, although I am not sure about the endgame. I could do without the attitude, though.

I already said in my post that the bankers and oilmen were in charge of who gets to drill where and when. How much clearer could I be?

Oil is not scarce except that people in power choose it to be scarce. As long as they can keep that myth going, they control the price of oil the way DeBeers controls the price of diamonds.

HOWEVER, If enough people get wise, the cartel cannot be held.

PS I plan for the worst and hope for the best, so I'm not giving up the ghost this second. So don't take my continued posts as a sign of disrespect. ;)

Owners are not obligated to perform actions they don't want to perform but they still must be held responsible for the actions they do perform...

Ownership alone is not an escape from responsibility or a justification of their actions.

Guess that's what all the police state powers are for...To escape responsibility for their actions...

Does anyone ever,and I mean ever, refer to Wassily Leontiev's Input output analysis??? It seems to me that his work would serve as a very good tool enhancing doks c charts--

I will defer to someone else Breadreach......over my paygrade. :shocked

Beardrech,

"Teach a man to fish...... "

Google even corrected your spelling! LOL

Now search your little heart out!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...ysis%22&spell=1

B) B)

Sherlok--thank you very much

But I really wanted to be spoon-fed out of a golden bowl with a silvery runcible spoon

I know exactly what you mean about fishing--Give me a fish to eat;ummmmdeliscius; give me another fish; even more deliscious yummy; another fish and another;the endless feast--but

You Give me a pole? I switch to dairy products or meat---

But thank you anyway

beardrech :ph34r: :cry:

P-A-N-I-C? :lol:

Sep.'04 CRUDE OIL, ACCESS

+1.13

Gimme some Saudi bullhorning...

How about a little "snowjob?"

DJ US Snow: Yukos Legal Problems Shouldn't Affect Oil Output

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (Dow Jones)--The current run-up in oil prices probably is temporary, and is the result of a number of geopolitical concerns rather than supply-and-demand fundamentals, U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow said Thursday.

"A number of factors has created uncertainty in the market," Snow told reporters following a speech. "I don't think the fundamentals justify prices at these levels."

Nymex oil futures for September delivery reached a new all-time high of $48.25 a barrel Thursday. Crude futures have now hit new highs in 15 of the past 17 trading sessions.

Snow cited several political concerns that have markets worried about oil supply. Snow said that the Bush administration has been assured by the Russian government that legal battles with OAO Yukos (YUKO.RS) won't diminish oil production.

"My understanding is that the Russians are committed to keeping output up," Snow said. "The court proceedings can go on without affecting production from the fields."

Snow said that the Saudi government has said it could push its oil production form the current level of 9.2 million barrels a day to as much as 10.5 million b/d right away. He said that the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries is also taking steps to ramp up production.

Meanwhile, the Iraqi government is devoting resources to securing its oil pipelines, Snow said.

Snow again urged Congress to pass President George W. Bush's proposal for increasing U.S. energy production. He said that had Congress approved drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would have increased U.S. oil production by one million b/d.

Dow Jones Newswires

What's the oil situation all about?

Right here:

"Snow again urged Congress to pass President George W. Bush's proposal for increasing U.S. energy production. He said that had Congress approved drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would have increased U.S. oil production by one million b/d."

It's called a Hard Squeeze on Congress by the Oily Slicks!

They desperately want access to the protected US lands with oil.

Push the Sheeple hard enuf, scare 'em, threaten their gas supplies,

and they will vote for anything proposed to take away the pain.

Most people I talk to can't seem to understand why filthy rich people,

citing the Bushes, would be driven to make more money when they

already have enuf.

Old Zen question: When is enough enough?

William Blake sez-"You know when you've had enough when you've had 'too much'"

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: Bartender: Say When

------Drunk Patron:Never

------bartender:Now there's a man drinking intelligently-What do you do for a living

-------I represent a distillery I drink and drive for a living

-------Isn't that rather dangerous-suppose you hit somebody

------Thash awrite--I got a glass=bottomed car

------What for?

------So I can identify the victims

------Enough-Out

Guest Icky Twerp

United likely will terminate pension plans, airline says

United's four employee pension plans are underfunded by about $8.3 billion. If United scraps the funds, that would dump $6.4 billion of funding responsibility onto the government-financed Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., already operating at a steep deficit.

Gary Pastorius, a PBGC spokesman, said the $6.4 billion is the maximum amount the agency would be allowed to cover under its congressional mandate. The difference, about $1.9 billion, is how much employees could lose.

is it (A) HAH! Those lazy greed union members have finally gotten their comeuppance!

or (B) OMIGOD! Those criminals have stolen from $2B from hard-working J6Ps to feather their Goldden Parachutes!

or © WHOA! How many other airlines are gonna dump their Pensions onto the PBGC?

Guest Icky Twerp

Jobless data tied to health costs

A relentless rise in the cost of employee health insurance has become a significant factor in the employment slump, as the labor market adds only a trickle of new jobs each month despite nearly three years of uninterrupted economic growth.

Government data, industry surveys and interviews with employers big and small indicate that many businesses remain reluctant to hire full-time employees because health insurance, which now costs the nation's employers an average of about $3,000 a year for each worker, has become one of the fastest-growing costs for companies. Health premiums are sapping corporate balance sheets even more than the rising cost of energy.

In the second quarter, the cost of health benefits rose at a 12-month rate of 8.1 percent, more than three times the inflation rate and the rate of increases in wages and salaries.

"Health care is a major reason why employment growth has been so sluggish," said Sung Won Sohn, the chief economist at Wells Fargo.

SO, is it

A: Those lazy greedy employees expect cradle to grave health-care and NOBODY can afford to fund their cosmetic surgery, anymore,

B: Those piratical HMOs and their partner Drug companies are going to kill the goose laying golden eggs!

C: Those #$%^ Tort Lawyers . . .

D: Dang, Hillary was right, after all!

Guest Icky Twerp

The common wisdom is that the coasts lead trends, fads, etc. but this trend will work its way from the inside out, as the hollow edifice crumbles from a lack of inner support. . . now, revealing the handiwork of W in his first starring role:

UWU\UaUZU`U[ucTYWYWZV]Foreclosure postings in Central Texas on the rise, again (registration required) I'll post the juicy bits

400 properties in TravisCounty set for Sept. 7 auction

In a sign that the Central Texas economy continues to struggle, Travis County foreclosure postings spiked for September.

For the Sept. 7 foreclosure sale, 400 properties were posted ? the second highest monthly total since the economic downturn began four years ago, according to Foreclosure Listing Service Inc. Foreclosure postings for Travis County are up 22 percent from September 2003.

"I hate to be the provider of doom and gloom," said George Roddy Sr., president of Addison-based Foreclosure Listing Service. "There still are a lot of problems in the marketplace."

For the year to date, 3,208 properties have been posted for foreclosure in Travis County ? up 12 percent from the first nine months of 2003.

Williamson County foreclosure postings also remain high, up 27 percent through September compared to the same time last year. Through September, 2,083 Williamson County properties have been posted for foreclosure ? a 27 percent increase from the same period a year ago.

Only a percentage of the properties posted actually are sold at auction.

Foreclosure postings are considered a lagging indicator.

"Those people who lost jobs in 2002 or became underemployed, it's coming back to roost now," Roddy said.

Hmm.

Oil conspiracy theorists need to get out more.

Crude oil: A complex compound ...

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/j/p/jpc1...b3/Lecture2.htm

present in limited quantities at practical extraction depths.

Like other phenomena on earth, naturally formed via processes yet

to be completely understood. May have taken eons or may have beed aided by a massive "liquidation" of biomass in "flash" events.

Oil is a strange brew of hydrocarbons of varying molecular size.

Large molecules contain the collective energy of their atomic bonds.

At some point in time energy was "gathered" to order the carbon and hydrogen atoms.

Man is conveniently using the efficiently stored energy of hydrocarbons.

It is such an efficient energy source that we will surely consume it to depletion.

Here's to hoping that bio-engineering devises a microbe to turn biomass, heat and pressure into a usable hydrocarbon. Maybe we can turn mountains of garbage into a consumable natural gas.

Then again, I forgot about CO2 emissions and the greenhouse effect.

Hmm. No free lunch.

SEH

-----------------------

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00937.htm

Crude oil, like that found in the spills to which you refer, is a very

complex mixture of compounds composed of (mainly) carbon, hydrogen, oxygen,

and sulfur. Of these elements, carbon and hydrogen are by far the major

components. Linked together with inter-atom bonds, these CH compounds form a

dazzling variety of different kinds of molecules of many different shapes

and sizes. Collectively, these carbon-hydrogen compounds are referred to as

"hydrocarbons."

The smallest hydrocarbons are gaseous at ordinary room temperature. The

somewhat larger hydrocarbon molecules are liquids, whereas the largest are

solids. Of course in crude oil, all these different kinds of molecules are

"dissolved" in each other -- making for a rather unpleasant looking and

smelling mess.

Transported to a refinery, the various "fractions" of the crude oil (gases,

liquids, and solids) are separated from each other (and sometimes modified

in composition) before they are distributed for use. Obviously, the liquid

fractions are primary components of gasoline, diesel fuel, and lubricating

and heating oils. The very large hydrocarbon components are solids at room

temperature and are used for roofing and road surfaces -- tar and asphalt.

Guest Icky Twerp

Where the foreclosures are

BEND, Ore. (CNN/Money) - Not everyone is getting rich off of real estate: The number of foreclosed properties in many parts of the country is increasing, according to data tracked by Foreclosure.com.

Nationally, the foreclosure rate was recently only 1.27 percent, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association of America. But that rate may be skewed by extremely low foreclosure rates in thriving markets, such as Las Vegas and Los Angeles, where distressed owners may have the option of selling rather than defaulting on their mortgages.

"In stagnant or declining real estate markets you are seeing more foreclosures," said Greg Sullivan, Foreclosure.com's vice president of marketing. "You can pretty much draw a line through the middle of the country and see where the foreclosures are." . . . .

Hard times for some, of course, are considered investment opportunities for others. Real estate investors -- and home buyers looking for a break -- view the foreclosure market as one big bargain bin.

post-20-1092980245_thumb.jpg

Archived