Gaps, Curbs, Limit Down

Mark?s Market Commentary ? April 7, 2003

Wow, what a day. ?Unsettled market conditions permeate an increasingly fragile and maladjusted financial system?, as Noland would say.

One hallmark of this bear market is the unfilled upside gap. All downside gaps have been filled, usually immediately. Upside gaps are left wide open. That means the ongoing panic to buy stocks continues, and panic selling has yet to surface. Until today.

Another useful feature in this bear market has been the use of market curbs. Nothing like watching the ticker and seeing ?Curbs In? and knowing that blowoffs and panics are always held in check.

With the explosion of derivative exotica, like Saddam Hussein futures, I am expecting further innovation in this area.

How about putting some ?Curbs In? on my ex-girlfriend?s mood swings? How about some Mood Swing Puts and Calls?

And why did my ex-girlfriend?s weight always seem to gap up in breakaway fashion? And any temporary gap downs were eventually filled with future eating binges?

And then there is the bulimic wannabe actress. She attends the parties in Hollywood Hills, eats tons of caviar and drinks lots of wine to prove that she is ?high energy? and doesn?t have to worry about weight gain. But then she disappears to the bathroom and immediately starts coughing up everything which was consumed.

Then she hits a ?Limit Down? and passes out, only to be awakened with ammonia sniffs by her girlfriends, and given some Special K designer drugs to ?pick her up? for the required evening festivities.

Today?s stock market has become just as volatile and hysterical.

In a desperate attempt to turn the tide, Da Boyz jammed us up on the open on a record breaking gap. After all, the sheep must be kept in the pen, and the only way to avoid having them panic out is to Repo Blast the Paper Pyramid to get the speculators to use more margin and more debt to ?participate? in the New Bull Market engineered by the post-Iraq v-shaped recovery.

After the giant gap up on the open, we had one of those famous ?flagpole? distribution days, followed by an unexpected waterfall.

One thing is for sure. Massive amounts of money has been lost on this volatility, wild gaps, and sudden reversals. We had many last year in March and May, and everyone knows what happened next.

When will we hear of a HedgeHog with its head blown off? When will Joe Sixpack become so disturbed with the volatility, he finally starts taking money out?

Can the dollar push past the March highs?

Can Da Boyz push the indexes up past the December highs?

What will happen after that? Where will the money come from?

Not much else to say, other than that the Stock Market Mania is still alive and well. No mystery writer, no financial journalist, not even the most creative minds in Hollywood could dream up a Soap Opera story like this.

Never before has there been so much desperation. So much wealth transferred. So much paper created. So much hype and hope.

Now we are waiting for the last chapter. The Ten Sigma Event. What will it be?

A massive Hedge Fund blowup?

A coordinated selling attack of the U.S. Dollar and a gold buying panic by the Arabs and Muslims?

A Black Box Program Robot Failure that sends interest rates careening to the upside?

A Crash Alert remains in effect.

Who knows?

Mark to Market is documenting the story in real time. For a new novel which is guaranteed to be a best seller:

Wall Struck by Cheat Street

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice article wnydy. Hope you dont mind but need to post Options Expirations info. I forgot about the upcoming holiday.

OE WEEK ENDS THURSDAT NOT FRIDAY ALL

***EARLY COURTESY NOTIFICATION DUE TO THE GOOD FRIDAY HOLIDAY***

***NOTE: LAST DAY TO TRADE APRIL EQUITY OPTIONS IS THURSDAY 4/17/2003***

Jim Cramer kiss of death?

From 8:45am ET with S&P futures up 3,000 points we get this from

Jim "my wife saved my ass more than once at my hedge fund" Cramer.

"Let's presume the war is over.

If that's the case, what are we entitled to, a 5% bounce? A 10% bounce?

The one map that has gotten me the furthest is the 1991 map,

which says that, at a minimum, we get another 10%."

Historians will look back and say Cramer calling for 10% more upside was the top.

Just like Maria looking into the camera, and asking the question, "should investors

short the market?" called a bottom last October.

Looks like a classic reversal day to me, much like liftoff move a month ago only in reverse.....

Classic hammers abound, check Citipoop, does it get any better? Perfect hammer reversal.

Went short today EBAY (This time with my real money), QLGC, and ANSS on a tip, longed GFI....Will see how it plays

Good trading all!

Archived