Welcome to "The January Effect"

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here's the latest..

"Major failures of the Santa Claus Rally show that although is can be a warning, the S&P has performed well in years following a major failures.

Major Santa Claus Rally Failures on the S&P 500:

-2.2% 1980: Iran Hostages, S&P 500 up 25.3%

-1.8 1982: Continuing bear, S&P 500 up 14.8%

-3.0 1991: Imminent Kuwait invasion, S&P 500 up 26.3%

-4.0 2000: Bubble about to burst, S&P 500 down -10.1%

-1.8 2005: Terrorism, oil price, Iraq, FOMC, ???

Our 2005 Forecast is still on track for continued gains over the next 2-4 months. "

http://www.stocktradersalmanac.com

jickiss is back!

and

Dear Drano:  Exactly!  That is what mr Bill Gross did.  office real near to the beach.  such cleverness may, ultimately, prevent him from ever receiving the 3rd jickiss Award.

life's a beach.  at least, for a few!

:huh:

It may be time to exchange some GG for DROOY or HMY. As the doolar strengthens and the SA Rand weakens, these may rise. DROOY is like a cheap non-expiring call option at this time and the bad news may have been wrung ut by now.

During the 1999-2000 Internet Mania, all my friends owned JDSU.

I was so jealous for not being in this stock when it was running up.

Higher and higher, and I was scared of it.

When it went down in 2001, I bought it at $55 and was stopped out.

I bought it again at $35 and was stopped out.

I bought it at $18 and sold it at $11 at a loss.

It never recovered.

Still a "junk stock"......

You never know where the winners and losers are...............

That's one hell of a base though.

The January Stock Traders Almanac believes we reached point 19 and now it appears a drop into point 20 would be the point from where we would rally dramatically.... to 23 or get this ..... Dow 12,000 to 13,000

Ok, the only thing going for a Doomed House NOW I believe we need to break down to 10,400 and below and figure we just saw the top....

anything else and bears won't survive the next boner jam...

Yes Greg excellent stuff . I just love how in the middle of Jessica they break off into a 4-5min Mt Jam, that break is truly inspired. Matter of fact they won a grammy for that cut. Funny thing is that Jaimoe is not playing drums on it. Paul Riddle former Marshal Tucker Band drummer was subbing for Jaimo who was out with a bad back that night

So I of course have been force feeding him Berry Oakley amongst others

Coolest thing was yesterday when he and his drummer were doing a little loose jamming while the other band mates were hooking up, and hearing them break into a little bit of Mountain Jam Wow 13 years old and they "get it"......................made my day

That would make mine too, in spades. Congrats :)

It's worth listening to Woody's bass on "An Evening with the Allmans- 2nd Set". He'll blow you and your son away. He and Warren Haines are amazing.

That's the riff I had in mind in mentioning it :lol: On that album, Woody kept breaking loose into these rifts where he abandoned his line for a few bars and began shadowing Warren note for note. Also in "Back Where it all Begins," track 3 I think. And, of course, Warren's "The Same Thing," which just smokes. My brother and I saw them in Saratoga back then, and were grinding our teeth through that solo- in a good way.

We should take this offline, or at least to B4theBell ;)

Yes Greg excellent stuff . I just love how in the middle of Jessica they break off into a 4-5min Mt Jam, that break is truly inspired. Matter of fact they won a grammy for that cut. Funny thing is that Jaimoe is not playing drums on it. Paul Riddle former Marshal Tucker Band drummer was subbing for Jaimo who was out with a bad back that night

So I of course have been force feeding him Berry Oakley amongst others

Coolest thing was yesterday when he and his drummer were doing a little loose jamming while the other band mates were hooking up, and hearing them break into a little bit of Mountain Jam Wow 13 years old and they "get it"......................made my day

That would make mine too, in spades. Congrats :)

It's worth listening to Woody's bass on "An Evening with the Allmans- 2nd Set". He'll blow you and your son away. He and Warren Haines are amazing.

Probably-

But is that a BARF on the QQQQ's?

The pattern was originally named the Bump and Run Formation, or BARF. Bulkowski decided that Wall Street was not ready for such an acronym and changed the name to Bump and Run Reversal.

This is a close as I can get on stockcharts-

http://tinyurl.com/65tsd

Probably-

But is that a BARF on the QQQQ's?

The pattern was originally named the Bump and Run Formation, or BARF. Bulkowski decided that Wall Street was not ready for such an acronym and changed the name to Bump and Run Reversal.

This is a close as I can get on stockcharts-

http://tinyurl.com/65tsd

Nice find. I had taken to thinking of these as extreme hunchback h&s patterns. I'd say that the BARR(F) is the particular truck that hit the daily gold futures chart.

Firefox is a little quirky when it comes to loading images. I have it set to accept all, and it still blocks a few. That's why in some cases, where a chart is hotlinked, all I get is user posted image. I have to click the edit key to read the code for the url.

It's firefox's one weird kink, I think.

Lets say you have been "vacationing" somewhere in Bankok, relaxing in an Opium Den, being serviced by an 18-year old Asia Exotica since New Years Eve, and had no idea what was going on in the stock market.

Then you ordered up the following charts, to determine the health of the market, without seeing the Dow, S & P, or Russell charts.

big.chart?symb=fre&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=5744&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=9939&mocktick=1&rand=4450

big.chart?symb=c&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=117685&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=5279&mocktick=1&rand=9024

big.chart?symb=jpm&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=427620&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=6333&mocktick=1&rand=7178

big.chart?symb=cfc&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=1426&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=4761&mocktick=1&rand=9837

big.chart?symb=mer&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=3101&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=6732&mocktick=1&rand=9023

big.chart?symb=bsc&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=789&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=1124&mocktick=1&rand=8452

You would think that things were still A-OK, no problems here..........

In order for the market to accelerate to the downside, then this group needs to break off ASAP, preferably due to the beginning of some type of credit market dislocation or unravelling.

Right now, the charts are showing lots of fast profit taking on the most extended Boner Stocks, but no evidence of liquidity problems or credit market stress yet.

At all other prior major tops, the financials usually broke first, leading the way before most other stocks fell apart.

So we need to keep a close eye out on this group.

Archived