Urbane undulations

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crude is taking a dump and sentiment is bullish in the extreme. Divergence between West Texas and Brent widening which makes no sense if the US is firing on all cylinders.

I am betting we are near a turn so I be taking out some shorts today.

Good luck to all.

Yep

...and it'll be all over once these warmongering dickwads start dropping bombs on Iran

Some good "event risk" trading ops

Easily knowable in advance as PR balloons are visible everywhere yee looks

Aren't oil profiteering wars good for the stock market? This indecision to carpet bomb Iran back to the stone age is holding the markets back... :ph34r:

rambo.gif :ph34r:

Ya don't fight Iran while cutting forces and defense spending on weapons.

You just shrug, leave the area and figure you are out of range of whatever delivery systems they can come up with. No nuke can close the straight of hormuz and we have enough crap docked in Bahrain that we can sink the entire naval capacity of the mullahs in about 1/2 hour.

Iran gets nuclear weapons. Saudi already has them (they paid for Pakistan's program - Pakistan didn't come up with the money for a nuclear program by using kids to sew soccer balls). So does Israel. The only westerners threatened by an Iranian nuke are Europeans and they stopped paying for their defense a decade ago. They will have to buy and start using the ABM systems that they have been condemning all these years.

The outcome has been cast. We are declaring victory and going home.

Crude at 96.34.

When it breaks the resistance at 96.30 it goes to 95. Then a long slow grind to 85 as people start realizing that the rally was emotion and not fundamentals.

Shorting a range of off shore producers. They are getting stock market effect which has their prices holding while the commodity they sell is breaking down. Divergences are fun.

here is some interesting ( but probably useless info)

the qqq is at 61.21 as I type, the high today was 61.41

on 10/27/1999 the qqq high was 61.62, it closed at 61.40

0n 10/28/1999 the qqq low was 61.81

that gap started the blow off top on the q's... they doubled in 5 months.

that gap was closed on 11/29/00

looks like some resistance starts at around 61.44 on some testing of that price from 11/30/00 to 2/6/01.

after it gave way on 2/7/01.. it was all down... till 10/9/02

so here we are, about 10 years from the bottom.. is that enough time to repair.. can we push through on the 1st try ;)

Yep

...and it'll be all over once these warmongering dickwads start dropping bombs on Iran

Some good "event risk" trading ops

Easily knowable in advance as PR balloons are visible everywhere yee looks

No doubt bombs will be dropping, it's a done deal. "they" are just crossing the t's and dotting the i's

i can already hear the media proclaim, patriot rally!

1 reason they will push stock to news highs and cook economic #'s(all BS) painting bullish picture so they can blame the "event" as the reason for derailing the economy(of course, we know it never recovered)

Continuing with my theme of Floating Rate Notes (FRN) from Treasury... An article from Financial Sense-

10/26/2011

Beware of Floating Rates

By Neeraj Chaudhary

In our 200+ year history - including the periods of World Wars One and Two, the Great Depression, and the inflationary period of the 1970s - the US Treasury has never offered floating rate notes. The mere fact that the US may go down this road should send a chill. Such an outcome should not inspire confidence in the world's largest bond issuer.

It is no accident that the governments in recent history that have been forced to issue floating rate paper read like a Who's Who of fiscal mismanagement and hyperinflation: Argentina during the mid-80s, Brazil during the mid-90s, Mexico and Thailand in the late 1990s, Venezuela throughout the 1980s and 1990s, etc. In fact, during the 1980s (in the wake of the Third World Debt Crisis), there was a period during which more than one in three new issues in the international bond market were of the floating rate variety.

http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/neeraj-chaudhary/2011/10/26/beware-of-floating-rates

I liked the article but I must point out that the author has neglected to mention Japan, which offers FRNs but has not suffered from hyper inflation. But then he is affiliated to Peter Schiff's Euro Pacific Capital.

Archived