B4 The Bell, Thursday June 24

:D Welcome to B4 The Bell! :D

Loosening up:

New Rule on Short Selling

By FLOYD NORRIS

Published: June 24, 2004

Bloomberg News

SHORTING the stocks of some of the largest companies in the United States is about to become easier. But shorting the stocks that some investors view as the most overvalued will become more difficult.

The Securities and Exchange Commission approved a new rule on short selling yesterday that for the first time in decades will allow some stocks to be sold short even though the price is falling. The original rule, which let investors sell most stocks short only when share prices were rising, was adopted during the Depression at a time when short sellers were blamed by some for the 1929 crash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/business/24place.html

What? Me Worry?

Schwarzenegger, Confident and Ready for Prime Time

By any measure, Mr. Schwarzenegger has pulled off a remarkable series of victories since routing Mr. Davis. He repealed an unpopular increase in the car tax, rescinded a law granting driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, pushed a workers' compensation package through the Legislature and persuaded the voters to approve $15 billion in new borrowing to help balance the budget.

Next week, he confidently predicted, the Legislature will deliver to him the first on-time state budget in 19 years. He has managed all this while keeping his firm pledge not to raise taxes.

In the interview, he diplomatically spread the credit among Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike.

"I'm not here trying to be a dictator," he said.

The independent Legislative anal cysts Office here has warned that these deals will produce multibillion-dollar deficits far into the future and will only worsen the state's chronic mismatch between revenues and spending.

Mr. Schwarzenegger waved off such carping. "Guys, don't worry," he said with a grin. "You see me worry? It'll be taken care of. It's a piece of cake."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/24/national...pagewanted=2&hp

Some housekeeping:

If you are havings problems getting B4 The Bell to appear on your forum menu, try logging in again. If that doesen't work, Doc may have to look into this further.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yobob1

Indeed B4 the Bell is not on the forum list on the Capitalstool home page. Quite a while ago the forum was altered so that only registered users could log on, and in fact until you're logged on, B4 the Bell will not show on any list. I believe this was done to encourage registering and also to avoid "guest" lurkers. The exact reasons are known to Brian and Doc. The fact that is missing on the homepage may be an oversight or it may be that placing it there would allow unregistered viewers to view the forum. If you allow the cookies, B4 the Bell should be visible everywhere but the home page. If cookies aren't allowed, it will not show until you login.

The home PC is once again fixed, though it looks a little sad with the duct tape and bailing wire holding it together. This has been a case of some sort of infection coming in from God knows where. With the rate of new viruses and other assorted bull shit like spyware etc., IMO most security programs are getting over run faster than the defenses can be created. In my case I think it was not one specific infection but an accumulation of minor infections that slipped in over time. At any rate a re-format and re-install was required. I'm getting good at that. Fortunately I don't store any important files on this unit nor is the software list for this machine too extensive, so a complete wipe is no big deal.

e-mail spam is out of control. In my case e-mail is my main connection to potential customers. I have finally resorted to telling customers on my home page that I will not respond to any e-mail that does not contain a name from a specific list of product names in the subject line. I have to sort through about 150 incoming everyday - 99% of which are spam, and judging from the number of those that have attachments, ther's a whole bunch of nasty shit flying around all the time. I only open those that fit the above criteria or in a few rare cases, those where I recognize the sender, such as industry contacts or personal contacts.

I think HB is correct in that Greeneggsandspam will leave his foot flat on the floor while taking tough out of the other side of his mouth. Throw in lordy knows what our dear little government may be doing with the Economic Stabilization Fund (the ESF is "legitimate", real and in the laws, it is not the shadow PPT often alluded to) and indeed we have a dual edged sword with some oomph behind it. Obviously there is the re-election pressure as well as the ongoing battle with deflation. Will it work? IMO yes and no and not indefinitely for sure. I think the main reflection of these efforts will continue to be the stock and bond markets. In the real economy however there is no traction. They may be able to keep the markets elevated till November, but in my gut and heart I think the efforts will fall just a little short. This administration has shown repeatedly a very bad sense of timing. In most cases I perceive them as peaking too early. I think that may be the case here also. They have shot their wad on the influences to the real economy and they have no more candy to pass out. I still believe that the best has passed in the real world and we are sliding down towards a very real POR around the end of the year.

It's going to be tough on the bears for as while me thinks. Take heart, there is universal justice and to paraphrase Bill Bonner, they will not get what they expect but will instead get exactly what they deserve. I also think they're going to get it pretty damn soon.

The current rendition of our financial system requires massive new credit creation just to stay in place. The system ran out of desirous qualified borowers a long time ago and has been scraping the bottom of the barrel to lend to the less than qualified borrowers at rates not reflective of credit quality for some time. The problem is there is a very real reason that those poeple were less than qualified to begin with. They don't pay their bills and can only borrow if they don't have to put any money down. This is always what bites the system in the ass, and it's already begun. This trend will gather steam until at some point (very, very soon) the default ratios begin to expand rapidly as those bad loans overwhelm new credit creation. Game, set and match.

CLEAN...........your system.

This is an AWESOME crap deleter and detecter for computer system

i highly advise downloading and using this...even if you have other

detecters.............this finds stuff they miss.

IMPORTANT!!!!!...before you run scan...go to control panel...open up FILE FOLDERS

click VIEW..........uncheck ALL items of hidden files.....you want NO hidden files.

download adaware standard free version.........after download and install process

make sure you click for updates on adaware tool.

BEFORE you scan ...reboot in safe mode..........

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Guest yobob1

It is my belief that there are people out there constantly targeting spyware and adware users. I think they view it as a cat and mouse game of constant escalation. I have tried several of those before and they seemed to work for a while but over time it seemed to induce a nastier infection when they finally got through. At times I wonder if it isn't the purveyors of said software attempting to prove their superiority by attacking each other and being able to claim they can stop this or that but the other guy can't.

I am also having problems similar to yobob1.

On the subject of viruses, or more aptly called pests, does anyone know how to remove WinToolsA - which not only seems to be running all the time, but intereferes with the operation of some other programs. It seems to be able to restart itself even after it is removed from the start menu.

Now back to money -

The economy is getting structurally weaker month by month and even day by day.

When you have people like Arnold become a real live action hero by deficit spending, you know something is very wrong here. He like Greenspan, and GWB and almost all of Congress, are making the best out of a bad situation and postponing problems as long as possible - preferably until after the next election.

Bad durable goods number

Bad jobs numbers

may = NO rate hike by FED

Ten Year Yield Falling

I've been saying all along that Greenie does not want to raise rates...we shall see.

Let inflation rip...go gold!

Major explosion at entrance to Hotel in Turkey where GWB is scheduled to stay this weekend.

One wonders if the bomb went off early...and when considering that, how precarious the world is.

Guys.......

Screw spybot, adaware and other crap for blocking pop-ups and infection via websites.

GET YOURSELF ZONE ALARM PRO. I am still using 3.0 and it works perfectly.

on the privacy page set the

ad blocking to HIGH

Mobile code control ON

Cookie control to MEDIUM

it blocks virtually everything and the few cookies and the like that get through can then be wiped by adaware or spybot. The software firewall also allows you to configure permissions for EVERY program on your system. You don't have to let anything out to the Internet.

Once again you MUST have:

1. hardware firewall - for everything trying to scan your ports

2. software firewall - for everything trying to out of your system. I only use ZA pro or outpost pro. Also for privacy features.

3. Anti-virus software - NEVER use any that begins with the letter M

4. Anti-trojan software - The cleaner from moosoft is great, TCA and TCM running alert you anytime something tries to install to your registry.

5. Anti-spyware - Spybot or adaware

6. Common sense - IE - Never use the preview panes in any e-mail program. never open suspicious e-mails.

7. A large bore pistol or shotgun. As yobob1 has duly noted a few threats here and there directed at one's system never hurts.

for those of you working in companies or owning companies I STRONGLY recommend you take a look at Cisco Security Agent. What a program.

Archived