B4 The Belll Frieday November 5

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
November 4, 2004 -- Writes the Wall Street Journal in today's lead editorial -- ". . Mr. Bush has been given the kind of mandate that few politicians are ever fortunate enough to receive. The voters expect him to use it."

So what's coming up and what can we expect? For one thing, we can expect enormous government spending and equally enormous deficits. For a starter, the Treasury just announced that the US government will borrow $147 billion for the first three months of 2004, This is a new quarterly record -- with much, much more to come. Here's something else to ponder -- Federal tax revenue was $100 billion lower this year than when President Bush first took office -- but spending was $400 billion higher.

If the Bush tax cuts remain in place, budget deficit over the next ten years could add up to $5 trillion. That could put the squeeze on what the Prez can do.

Aggravating the budget deficits would be slowing business, higher oil prices and, of course, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- plus the "war or terror" in general.

As I see it, there are two "musts" in the immediate picture.

US short rates MUST be held at low levels. If short rates start breaking out to the upside -- it will be -- "fun's over."

US consumers MUST continue to buy, buy, buy. If consumers begin to cut back on their buying and start to save, it'll be a whole new ball game -- and not a pleasant one.

- Russell, yesterday

What constitutes a mandate?

It was 51% to 49% of the votes that were counted.

This does not include the "spoiled ballots" and the provisional ballots have not

yet been counted.

Thus we have, at this point, merely a slightly more than 50-50 split.

Once again the news media are feeding us the info on "how we are to think."

This means that 49% of the votes that were counted were not for Bush.

With a 70% voter turnout, that means that 30% of the nations eligible voters

did not show up. The young ones actually did, but who stayed home?

What would energize that missing 30% to get off their butts and care about something?

I don't know, but I sure as heck don't see anything called a "mandate."

(This comment has not even touched on the fraudulent vote counts on those

electronic manchines which blackbox.org is reporting on)

These so called statistics drive me nuts!

How can it be that the most important aspect of our democracy, voting, takes four hours of standing in the cold, the rain, or the hot sun to accomplish? Why is it that it happened that way this year...when so many are unemployed and would have been more than happy to work as election officials, clerks, etc? Is this all another happy accident? Was anyone surprised by the size of the voter turnout? Did we not all see this coming? The last time I saw images of citizens standing in such long lines was during the years of the Soviet Union, and the lines were for bread. WTF?

Which party benefitted from a lack of voting employees and the absence of a more streamlined system?

Retired seniors have the time and the inclination to do their civic duty. younger voters don't.

All part of the Vast Right Wing Coincidence.

November 4, 2004 -- Writes the Wall Street Journal in today's lead editorial -- ". . Mr. Bush has been given the kind of mandate that few politicians are ever fortunate enough to receive. The voters expect him to use it."

So what's coming up and what can we expect? For one thing, we can expect enormous government spending and equally enormous deficits. For a starter, the Treasury just announced that the US government will borrow $147 billion for the first three months of 2004, This is a new quarterly record -- with much, much more to come. Here's something else to ponder -- Federal tax revenue was $100 billion lower this year than when President Bush first took office -- but spending was $400 billion higher.

If the Bush tax cuts remain in place, budget deficit over the next ten years could add up to $5 trillion. That could put the squeeze on what the Prez can do.

Aggravating the budget deficits would be slowing business, higher oil prices and, of course, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan -- plus the "war or terror" in general.

As I see it, there are two "musts" in the immediate picture.

US short rates MUST be held at low levels. If short rates start breaking out to the upside -- it will be -- "fun's over."

US consumers MUST continue to buy, buy, buy. If consumers begin to cut back on their buying and start to save, it'll be a whole new ball game -- and not a pleasant one.

- Russell, yesterday

What constitutes a mandate?

It was 51% to 49% of the votes that were counted.

This does not include the "spoiled ballots" and the provisional ballots have not

yet been counted.

Thus we have, at this point, merely a slightly more than 50-50 split.

Once again the news media are feeding us the info on "how we are to think."

This means that 49% of the votes that were counted were not for Bush.

With a 70% voter turnout, that means that 30% of the nations eligible voters

did not show up. The young ones actually did, but who stayed home?

What would energize that missing 30% to get off their butts and care about something?

I don't know, but I sure as heck don't see anything called a "mandate."

(This comment has not even touched on the fraudulent vote counts on those

electronic manchines which blackbox.org is reporting on)

These so called statistics drive me nuts!

I don't really want to spend too much time on the whole mandate issue...obviously the truth of the election results will get distorted to no end....

Well heres the mandate given by the people, the ever interesting popular vote by population density....interestingly if you remove the 'uninhabited areas' that voted for bushco you get something that looks lie this:

post-20-1099663733.jpg

mornin' stoolies,

Butter, tanks very much for the 'physical' forex info ! Appreciated.

Sherlock, I liked this: " Once again the news media are feeding us the info on "how we are to think."

you bet ! Lets hope the country can wake up enough to apply that same truth to ALL the media/propaganda hype about.... education, eco-stuff, etc.. Because if they lie about elections, and Iraq, and so many other things, then it's obvious they're lying about these things too. The 'media' IS the wedge that's hammering open the divide!

Mkts: amazingly, I ended up yesterday almost flat ! Thank god for gold and PM shares! :lol: I'm cringing a bit...with all the cycles pointing up; but comforted by TE's report that max-pain is 1125. Let's hear a big stoolie growl for DOWNNN !! :lol:

good trading to us all today

> President Bush promised in 2000 that he would lead a humble

> country, be a uniter not a divider, that he would make

> conservatism compassionate. He did not need to make such

> false promises this time. He was re-elected precisely by

> being a divider, pitting the reddest aspects of the red

> states against the blue nearly half of the nation. In this,

> he is very far from Ronald Reagan, who was amiably and

> ecumenically pious. He could address more secular

> audiences, here and abroad, with real respect.

>

> In his victory speech yesterday, President Bush indicated

> that he would "reach out to the whole nation," including

> those who voted for John Kerry. But even if he wanted to be

> more conciliatory now, the constituency to which he owes

> his victory is not a yielding one. He must give them what

> they want on things like judicial appointments. His helpers

> are also his keepers.

>

> The moral zealots will, I predict, give some cause for

> dismay even to nonfundamentalist Republicans. Jihads are

> scary things. It is not too early to start yearning back

> toward the Enlightenment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/...8b8eb2764df1f83

>

Good Morning Crew- Welcome to the new Paradigm nothing matters onward and upward..those earlier statements about taxation by the Chimp (which are posted above) says it all. I am straddled long and short at 1160 and feel damn good about it. This thing may go to 1200 before it is over. Think of a roaring forest fire where over a million acres have burned, the last 500 acres have just ignited...and then what? Health Canada today slams Pfizer and Celebrex and amplifies their concern from yesterday as the National Post reports the first class action lawsuits against Pfizer have already been filed. Merck and Pfizer are toast-just watch. 30 minute window at the bell-Helmets on, Buckle up-let the good times Roll! ;)

How can it be that the most important aspect of our democracy, voting, takes four hours of standing in the cold, the rain, or the hot sun to accomplish? Why is it that it happened that way this year...when so many are unemployed and would have been more than happy to work as election officials, clerks, etc? Is this all another happy accident? Was anyone surprised by the size of the voter turnout? Did we not all see this coming? The last time I saw images of citizens standing in such long lines was during the years of the Soviet Union, and the lines were for bread. WTF?

Which party benefitted from a lack of voting employees and the absence of a more streamlined system?

Retired seniors have the time and the inclination to do their civic duty. younger voters don't.

All part of the Vast Right Wing Coincidence.

made me sick to see those lines. the (useless) media claimed few were walking away. but that's only a reference to people already in line. how many saw the lines and didn't bother to wait on it? where I voted (NJ 'burbs) there were 3 machines in one room and no lines at any of them. granted, it was not peak hours, but I heard one of the urban districts in OH also had only 3 machines compared to 5 in the last election. :o

Health Canada today slams Pfizer and Celebrex and amplifies their concern from yesterday as the National Post reports the first class action lawsuits against Pfizer have already been filed. Merck and Pfizer are toast-just watch. 30 minute window at the bell-Helmets on, Buckle up-let the good times Roll! ;)

This week, the incentives to sue have multiplied. The Food and Drug Administration published a report on its Web site on Tuesday by a staff researcher, concluding that more than 27,000 deaths could be attributed to Vioxx based on comparisons with how patients taking other painkillers had fared.

Yesterday, The Lancet, a respected British medical journal, published an analysis of all the clinical trials of Vioxx completed by 2001, and concluded that Merck and the F.D.A. should have known enough about the drug's hazards to withdraw it years ago.

The plaintiffs' lawyers plan to compare notes next week on the types of clients who may make the strongest cases, with a premium on people who were in demonstrably good health before taking Vioxx.

Lawyers Organizing for Mass Suits Over Vioxx

Archived