B4 the Bell Wednesday August 25

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh. This is why the markets didn't budge.

Orders gained 1.7 percent in July, their biggest monthly gain since March, said a Commerce Department report.

Orders aside from transportation were up a smaller 0.1 percent. June durables orders were revised up, to a 1.1 percent advance from a previously reported 0.9 percent jump.

Hahahahahaha! It's good to guess right.

But seriously. Civilian aircraft were up that much? Uh. What?

From my vantage point over here on this pine stump it would seem that the airlines are sucking major wind. Who's buying? :blink:

Its NOT the airlines thats for sure.

The military perhaps?

A comment from a blogger in Cochabamba, Bolivia, reminds us of how high prices are here in the U.S.

He describes a night on the town, which included going to a bar, paying admission for a rock concert, smoking, drinking, chewing coca leaves, and paying taxi fare back to the hotel:

When I finally awoke this afternoon, I counted how much money I had spent last night and was astonished by the amount. Here is the breakdown (prices are estimates, and given in US dollars):

2 packs of cigarettes -- $1.35 (total!)

1.5 gallon bucket of chicha [liquor] -- $1.25

Small bag of coca -- $0.50

Admission to chicharria -- $0.75

Rock concert -- $1.25

Beer at concert -- $1.25

My portion of 12-mile round-trip cab fare -- $1.00

Total: $7.35

Wow.

No tenemos inflation

A comment from a blogger in Cochabamba, Bolivia, reminds us of how high prices are here in the U.S.

He describes a night on the town, which included going to a bar, paying admission for a rock concert, smoking, drinking, chewing coca leaves, and paying taxi fare back to the hotel:

When I finally awoke this afternoon, I counted how much money I had spent last night and was astonished by the amount. Here is the breakdown (prices are estimates, and given in US dollars):

Rock concert -- $1.25

Beer at concert -- $1.25

Wow.

No tenemos inflation

Brilliant post, MH. Thanks for reeling that in.

Borker news:

needham cuts semicap estimates

RBC cuts MXIM ALTR NSM MCHP based on weak demand and lower internal forecasts

Pru cuts Q3 eps on AA from $0.46 to $0.38 based on recent labor issues

Legg Mason adds MERQ to Select List

BAC ups QCOM

GS upgrades STLD to outperform on valuation

GS lowers NUE to in line

Bear Stearns cuts CSX UNP on weak volumes and higher fuel costs

Bear Stearns maintains NSC BNI better hedged to fuel

http://www.mineweb.net/columns/american_no...freenotfair.htm

I was aware the problem with LTCM was a derivative play but did not know it was a gold play that got them into trouble....

Snippet

"Even though the gold price has risen some $150 per ounce since it bottomed in 2001, the report says market manipulation has capped those gains. Only when the claimed manipulation is ended, by intervention or accident, will gold soar to an equilibrium value which is seen as a four-digit number.

The report dates the gold price suppression conspiracy to the rescue of Long-Term Capital Management in 1998, thereafter commencing ?in earnest after the post-Washington Agreement gold price explosion in 1999.?

It is alleged that the 1999 blow up which crippled Ashanti, since acquired by AngloGold [AU], and Cambior [CBJ], unmasked a gold carry trade run amok.

Having borrowed gold nearly limitlessly to sell forward and invest the proceeds in higher interest bearing instruments, the parties and their de facto insurers, central banks, realized that the positions could not be easily unwound. LTCM?s apparent gold short position of 300-400 tonnes, which is equivalent to nearly a whole year of South African new mine production, could not have been settled without causing a run on the gold price that might have triggered a collapse of the financial system

...more

i dont think thats right... i think they had some bond spread trades on and i think it was when Russia blew-up. "When Genius Failed"

Rock concert -- $1.25

Beer at concert -- $1.25

Wow.

No tenemos inflation

Brilliant post, MH. Thanks for reeling that in.

If he'd capped off the night with a visit to the ho house, he might have spent $12.35. :lol:

Rock concert -- $1.25

Beer at concert -- $1.25

Wow.

No tenemos inflation

the itinerary of PeeBrain's world tour has just been changed. :lol:

Borker news:

needham cuts semicap estimates

RBC cuts MXIM ALTR NSM MCHP based on weak demand and lower internal forecasts

Pru cuts Q3 eps on AA from $0.46 to $0.38 based on recent labor issues

Legg Mason adds MERQ to Select List

BAC ups QCOM

GS upgrades STLD to outperform on valuation

GS lowers NUE to in line

Bear Stearns cuts CSX UNP on weak volumes and higher fuel costs

Bear Stearns maintains NSC BNI better hedged to fuel

thanks: was looking at MXIM and it dropped $1 in premarket so far, chips are weak and getting weaker fast!

Archived