Mark To Market Virtually

torah man

Pile: I think you are right, nothing too much to get excited

about.

Economic numbers tomorrow will probably show falling initial claims and that will be seen as good news - not seasonality.

I am keeping some powder dry for closer to the end of the year.

Has anyone got any suggestions re shorting the internet stocks as a group. IAH? Doesn't seem to track TSC Internet.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pile: I think you are right, nothing too much to get excited

about.

Economic numbers tomorrow will probably show falling initial claims and that will be seen as good news - not seasonality.

although....something was off, today....like the clouds aren't rolling in, but something's just....different. and the animals start to act a little odd. and one of the cats goes and hides under the bed.

phat - I hope you are right, because I still have 60 open short positions

As for IBM - I can't believe the rally this piece of crap has had.

And Crapvision wheeled out some Actuarial representative saying no pension crisis and showing IBM as 100% funded. No mention of earnings assumptions.

I can't disclose my sources but this is complete crap. IBM

has the biggest pension issue of them all - IBM management has been bullying the actuaries - and I know this for a FACT.

IBM is just a PONZI scheme. Levitated by debt financed buybacks, pension manipulation, stock options, creative accounting including revenue recognition, off balance sheet shenigans etc etc. Trying to reinvent itself but still neck deep in Hardware, semiconductors and how many corporations successfully morph into something else?

Oops!!!!! Looks likes somebody's butt might get reamed over a little fuzzy accounting problem.

5:13PM Novellus going to look at SFAM impact again (NVLS) 34.48 -1.77: -- Update -- anal cyst points out on call that math of $0.04 per share negative impact from Speedfam-IPEC acquisition doesn't compute since NVLS is only issuing 6 mln shares out of a base of 150 mln shares... contends that impact should be smaller... NVLS concedes that it thinks anal cyst is right and that it may have to go back and re-work the math... call just concluded... NVLS +0.97 at 35.45

As for IBM - I can't believe the rally this piece of crap has had.

And Crapvision wheeled out some Actuarial representative saying no pension crisis and showing IBM as 100% funded. No mention of earnings assumptions.

I can't disclose my sources but this is complete crap. IBM

has the biggest pension issue of them all - IBM management has been bullying the actuaries - and I know this for a FACT.

IBM is just a PONZI scheme.

damn, i saw that too. i almost rubbed my eyes.

did potomac close their internet short fund?

Has anyone got any suggestions re shorting the internet stocks as a group. IAH? Doesn't seem to track TSC Internet.

IYV (DJ US Internet iShares) or

HHH (ML Internet Holdrs)

IAH is ML Internet Architecture Holdrs

Nope... today was different. Today is the first day in a while that good news was bad. The first thing I heard this morning on proctovision was CSCO proclaimed by (I think) JPM as the strongest of the semis with an impeccable balance sheet and a bright future ahead. Big BUY. And it dropped. GDP numbers were UP- that was bad. In fact everything was bad- except my shorts and puts that finally went up for a change. Hopefully this is the start of something big. (BTW- I'd appreciate C to get below 25 in about 3 weeks -Hope springs eternal)

Thanks Anita & Phat

On a positive note, one of the regulars on FOX,

John Hoenig from Capitalistpig.com seems pretty OK.

Where are banks going?

David Chapman

"The banking sector is a key to the economy going forward. The Royal Bank chart is about as good as it gets in the sector. With banking troubles just beginning to come to the forefront it bodes poorly not only for any recovery but the market going forward. With the financial sector's participation it is highly unlikely the market can muster much of a response. We have been warning on this sector for months. The debt situation needs cleansing and the banks are at the forefront of it. And all the Fed cuts and money injections in the world can't save it".

Looking at the long term bank chart, this looks like it might be rolling over.

Tech has been rallying but it is the financials that could lead the next leg down. Higher high not likely - financials

are going to struggle to take out recent highs.

Again looking for an ETF - XLF seems like a good proxy for Banks?!

Anyway, does anyone know why the $US is so strong when all the FEED members are publically talking about wanting inflation and monetizing the bond market?

Well how about that no one believes that he will or can even if he tried. If Greenman's threat to devalue the dollar by running the presses 24/7 and buying everything in sight were taken seriously, you'd wake up tomorrow and the POG would be somewhere north of $500/oz.

Archived